1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3D HTF TOP 30 MUST OWN 3D TITLES

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Uk me too. But I ordered a dvd and it came in a very short time and dhl brought it. Maybe it will be different this time.

man I loved Lego 3D! I'll like it again and again. the 3D was just amazing. I have Lego batman 3d and haven't watched it yet. I love that whole idea.

phillyrobt likes this.
  2. Message #9782 of 9924 May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    picked up Amazing Spider man 2 at BL for $2.50. special clearance pricer! for some reason it was representing in my head the stack of 3ds i'll rebuy for back up when they all get down there. I haven't even watched it yet! lol also got a second copy of JP 3D for $5. I bought that used. It played fine but just in case! and that's less than I paid used.

noticed my store now has Penguins 3d. it's $5. paid more off ebay. :(

I think my german orders are coming regular mail since it says "ASNDI". so it's taking longer. can't wait to try those. geostorm looks right up my alley. was just checking out stills on google search. all that is going to be blow socks off amazing.

btw, watch Kong Skull island 3D last weekend and forgot how stunning that whole thing is. Godzilla can't get here fast enough!!!! I mean, mothra, etc? I hope my local has the 3d stuff calibrated. i haven't seen a 3d there since the first Pacific rim becuase it just wasn't working right.

Malcolm R likes this.
  3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I keep meaning to rewatch Kong 3D. Maybe a double bill over Memorial Day weekend with Godzilla 3D.

Radioman970 and Johnny Angell like this.
  4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    A good combo. I like Godzilla 3D better than most but I find I like it even better if I skip to where the kid comes to Japan and all hell breaks loose.

Malcolm R likes this.
  5. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    absolutely! I was going to watch God 3D first but my Kong 3D showed up loosy so I wanted to hurry with it. but it was okay.

I like the scene of God on the train bridge. the layers there are just amazing as you see him pass under. When I saw that in imax 3d I was just gasping, that and the dark 3d scenes which I thought worked so well. usually dark 3D is what people complain about but I was amazed. Watching the movie at home bfore I had 3d I was so disappointed because those dark scenes just didn't look good in 2d. so so relieved to see it in 3D at home.

Malcolm R likes this.
  6. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    DON'T BUY THIS POS!!! Hardly any 3D. Only the background has some. The characters look like flat cutouts and as much animation as there was in the 60's...barely. I turned it off after 10 minutes. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: :eek:

upload_2019-5-23_16-19-52.

7. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    I'm keeping The Top Cat title as an example of an early 3D attempt, like some other early 3D cartoon titles. Disney's 1953 "Working For Peanuts" has a similar cut-out look, but it also takes the 3D animation one step further with two very short 1 second visual moments that actually involve diagonal depth z-plane illusion.

8. Panman40

Panman40 Screenwriter

Martin Campbell
    I’ve avoided this one John as reviews were so poor.

John Sparks likes this.
  9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Isn't the "Top Cat" on display the movie from 2011? Not exactly "early 3D"! :)

10. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand
    Early in the sense that it is traditional cell-drawn animation, not CGI. It wasn't until the virtual computer-generated dynamic 3D imaging process was put into effect that 3D with a real-world volume dimension could be realized, like in the 2015's SpongeBob Movie which became an economically feasible form of art..

John Sparks and Panman40 like this.
  11. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Ah - got it. The fact Top Cat's been around for decades and the mention of animated 3D from the 50s made me think you believed the Top Cat flick was "vintage"! :D

Paul Hillenbrand likes this.
  12. Message #9792 of 9924 May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand
    Understood.
    I see the 3D for Top Cat as a celebration of the combination of both old and new animation processes. The artists puting the primary focus on the cast members using traditional cell-drawn art and creating the background environment and many of the props with real-world volume using cgi. Very unique and unusual combination using traditional classic scope and the later developmental re-render process together!:3dglasses:

13. phillyrobt

phillyrobt Second Unit

Robt C
    Mr. Sparks, interested in buying Top Cat if you're selling!

14. Panman40

Panman40 Screenwriter

Martin Campbell
    I see Dreamworks have “Abominable” , I wonder if it will get a 3D Blu Ray release ?.

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Hard to tell. I think they're distributed by Universal, which has gone back and forth on domestic support for animation on 3D. The Boss Baby was a 3D release, but then Despicable Me 3 was flat only, then The Grinch was given a 3D release (though with issues), and How To Train Your Dragon: Hidden World was flat only.

But so far all are still available in 3D from international sources.

Panman40 likes this.
  16. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    I have DRAGON 3 3D coming.

17. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Bob and Greg from the 3D Film Archive have stated that the 3D was not done properly on the Bu-ray of Working For Peanuts.

Paul Hillenbrand likes this.
  18. Panman40

Panman40 Screenwriter

Martin Campbell
    I got stung for customs with my AUS copy of spiderverse, it was £4 customs but £8 handling charge totalling £12. I doubt I will order from JB Hi-Fi again.

19. Panman40

Panman40 Screenwriter

Martin Campbell
    With mention of Godzilla it reminded me I never bought this when it was released due to some poor reviews, I have use piced up a copy from eBay so I’m hoping I like the film.

20. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    I was happily ordering large sets of Blu rays from Britain (Star Trek TNG etc.) to Canada with no trouble or duty. Then I ordered the 3D “Beauty and The Beast”. Amazon.uk used an independent parcel service who charged me a huge service fee at the door which doubled the price.

I contacted A.uk and pointed out that it was far larger than the postage they had already quoted. Luckily they credited me a refund.

This is why it seems convoluted, but all Amazon.uk orders are now sent to my US post office box. There I am charged no extra duty, and I include those packages in the amount I am allowed to take across the border — $200. each for a 24 hour stay, and $800 for 48 hours. So far we have had no trouble and I have basically ordered every 3D live action Blu ray not available in North America.