What's new

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I just finished watching “Mortal Engines” 3X. Yesterday I watched the extras and my wife and I saw it together flat. She nodded off after and I watched about half again with commentary. Today she was having “lunch with the girls”, and I watched the rest with commentary and then the whole thing again in 3D. I’ll give it a rest now, but I still wish I had seen it theatrically.

The 3D version is by far the best way to see it. It enhances this movie immeasurably. I don’t know why they rarely include commentary with these versions. If that was the case I’d never even watch the flat disc.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I wonder if that depends on the region of delivery, or is based on your shipping choice? As far as I know, all my discs from UK and DE have been delivered by the regular USPS mailman. I've never had to sign for anything; they're always waiting in my box when I get home.

Watched The Lego Movie 3D a couple nights ago. I still can't get into this movie. I was nodding off toward the end. But it was less than $6 used, so I picked it up anyway. I wasn't really impressed with the 3D either.

When I bought the first Lego movie we tried watching it a couple of times but we really don’t care for the experience, I haven’t even purchased any of the others.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I wonder if that depends on the region of delivery, or is based on your shipping choice? As far as I know, all my discs from UK and DE have been delivered by the regular USPS mailman. I've never had to sign for anything; they're always waiting in my box when I get home.

Watched The Lego Movie 3D a couple nights ago. I still can't get into this movie. I was nodding off toward the end. But it was less than $6 used, so I picked it up anyway. I wasn't really impressed with the 3D either.
Uk me too. But I ordered a dvd and it came in a very short time and dhl brought it. Maybe it will be different this time.

man I loved Lego 3D! I'll like it again and again. the 3D was just amazing. I have Lego batman 3d and haven't watched it yet. I love that whole idea.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
picked up Amazing Spider man 2 at BL for $2.50. special clearance pricer! for some reason it was representing in my head the stack of 3ds i'll rebuy for back up when they all get down there. I haven't even watched it yet! lol also got a second copy of JP 3D for $5. I bought that used. It played fine but just in case! and that's less than I paid used.

noticed my store now has Penguins 3d. it's $5. paid more off ebay. :(

I think my german orders are coming regular mail since it says "ASNDI". so it's taking longer. can't wait to try those. geostorm looks right up my alley. was just checking out stills on google search. all that is going to be blow socks off amazing.

btw, watch Kong Skull island 3D last weekend and forgot how stunning that whole thing is. Godzilla can't get here fast enough!!!! I mean, mothra, etc? I hope my local has the 3d stuff calibrated. i haven't seen a 3d there since the first Pacific rim becuase it just wasn't working right.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I keep meaning to rewatch Kong 3D. Maybe a double bill over Memorial Day weekend with Godzilla 3D.
A good combo. I like Godzilla 3D better than most but I find I like it even better if I skip to where the kid comes to Japan and all hell breaks loose.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
absolutely! I was going to watch God 3D first but my Kong 3D showed up loosy so I wanted to hurry with it. but it was okay.

I like the scene of God on the train bridge. the layers there are just amazing as you see him pass under. When I saw that in imax 3d I was just gasping, that and the dark 3d scenes which I thought worked so well. usually dark 3D is what people complain about but I was amazed. Watching the movie at home bfore I had 3d I was so disappointed because those dark scenes just didn't look good in 2d. so so relieved to see it in 3D at home.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
DON'T BUY THIS POS!!! Hardly any 3D. Only the background has some. The characters look like flat cutouts and as much animation as there was in the 60's...barely. I turned it off after 10 minutes. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: :eek:

upload_2019-5-23_16-19-52.jpeg

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
DON'T BUY THIS POS!!! Hardly any 3D. Only the background has some. The characters look like flat cutouts and as much animation as there was in the 60's...barely. I turned it off after 10 minutes. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: :eek:

View attachment 58963

I'm keeping The Top Cat title as an example of an early 3D attempt, like some other early 3D cartoon titles. Disney's 1953 "Working For Peanuts" has a similar cut-out look, but it also takes the 3D animation one step further with two very short 1 second visual moments that actually involve diagonal depth z-plane illusion.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm keeping The Top Cat title as an example of an early 3D attempt, like some other early 3D cartoon titles. Disney's 1953 "Working For Peanuts" has a similar cut-out look, but it also takes the 3D animation one step further with two very short 1 second visual moments that actually involve diagonal depth z-plane illusion.

Isn't the "Top Cat" on display the movie from 2011? Not exactly "early 3D"! :)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Isn't the "Top Cat" on display the movie from 2011? Not exactly "early 3D"! :)
Early in the sense that it is traditional cell-drawn animation, not CGI. It wasn't until the virtual computer-generated dynamic 3D imaging process was put into effect that 3D with a real-world volume dimension could be realized, like in the 2015's SpongeBob Movie which became an economically feasible form of art..

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Early in the sense that it is traditional cell-drawn animation, not CGI. It wasn't until the virtual computer-generated dynamic 3D imaging process was put into effect that 3D with a real-world volume dimension could be realized, like in the 2015's SpongeBob Movie which became an economically feasible form of art..

Ah - got it. The fact Top Cat's been around for decades and the mention of animated 3D from the 50s made me think you believed the Top Cat flick was "vintage"! :D

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Ah - got it. The fact Top Cat's been around for decades and the mention of animated 3D from the 50s made me think you believed the Top Cat flick was "vintage"! :D
Understood.
I see the 3D for Top Cat as a celebration of the combination of both old and new animation processes. The artists puting the primary focus on the cast members using traditional cell-drawn art and creating the background environment and many of the props with real-world volume using cgi. Very unique and unusual combination using traditional classic scope and the later developmental re-render process together!:3dglasses:

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I see Dreamworks have “Abominable” , I wonder if it will get a 3D Blu Ray release ?.
Hard to tell. I think they're distributed by Universal, which has gone back and forth on domestic support for animation on 3D. The Boss Baby was a 3D release, but then Despicable Me 3 was flat only, then The Grinch was given a 3D release (though with issues), and How To Train Your Dragon: Hidden World was flat only.

But so far all are still available in 3D from international sources.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Disney's 1953 "Working For Peanuts" has a similar cut-out look, but it also takes the 3D animation one step further with two very short 1 second visual moments that actually involve diagonal depth z-plane illusion.

Bob and Greg from the 3D Film Archive have stated that the 3D was not done properly on the Bu-ray of Working For Peanuts.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I got stung for customs with my AUS copy of spiderverse, it was £4 customs but £8 handling charge totalling £12. I doubt I will order from JB Hi-Fi again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    acinstallation155
    Recent bookmarks