What's new

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I went into the article very angry based on the post here.

I didn't read anything about avoiding pop-out.

In fact, I was ready to slam Cameron if he indeed had said that.

After all, Cameron is backing glasses-free home technology that
can't do pop-out. If Cameron had actually said that Directors should
avoid it, I would have cried "foul" based on the limitations of the
technology he was backing.

Thank Goodness this story was everything but what I was expecting.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I read between the lines, to me he says he's going to open up the depth, he never mentions pop out and indeed goes on to mention incorporating the 3D into the story without it being gimmicky, i take that part as a reference to pop out, i guess we'll see what Cameron means when Avatar 2 is released. I sure hope he goes for more aggressive depth AND popout.

I agree with him when he calls for more native 3D productions, i also think if he puts more aggressive pop out, let's say several good scenes and it doesn't have to be every few minutes, into Avatar 2 it will encourage the rest of the industry to do likewise.

GregK

Screenwriter
Cameron has mentioned this before and is talking about having wider parallax, which results in both deeper 3-D (positive parallax) and more pronounced "pop out" (negative parallax) moments, when called for. The 1950's 3-D titles are a good example as they typically have more parallax than most of today's 3-D shot features.

AVATAR originally was going to have a wider stereo base (more parallax) but they changed their overall interaxial and even artificially reduced the parallax on a number of shots already done.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Jeffrey Nelson said:
FLYING SWORDS sounds like an excellent Blu-ray, both film-wise and 3-D-wise...perhaps it helps to be a HK action film fan, like me. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Flying-Swords-of-Dragon-Gate-3D-Blu-ray/51049/#Review
The 3D Cinematography exemplifies total variable paramater use from beginning to end. Movie "Title" credit-characters come from a distance, go around each other in various ways at different times, some sentences in the center forming dimensional smile-boxes, and that is just the opening credits! Awe-inspiring 3D vision throughout.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Ron,
My tastes in movies are very catholic, but I can't call myself a HK action film fan or connoisseur. That said, I can only express that experiencing a movie in a poorly dubbed version can be excruciatingly painful.
I first saw Meet Me in St. Louis in B&W, Halloween sequence excised, and all songs dubbed in Spanish. I didn't even see the cut sequence until many years later when I saw a Tech IB print (hallelujah!) at MoMA.
I saw Casablanca dubbed in Spanish (I had already seen it in English) and to hear Bergman's voice sound like a ninny was, indeed, painful.
You might still give it a go by moving those pesky subtitles off the image as suggested. Or just give up and sell it.
I stand by my original assessment of thrilling use of the 3D format.
Sorry you didn't like it, though.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You might still give it a go by moving those pesky subtitles off the image as suggested. Or just give up and sell it.
I stand by my original assessment of thrilling use of the 3D format.
Jose,

I liked what I saw, no doubt. It was the dubbing that really ruined it for me.

It came off as a bad Godzilla film.

There was no way I could watch it with the subtitles on. That was too distracting
with the 3D.

I'll tell you what. I am interested in seeing more of the 3D. I'll start at the 37 minute
mark where I left off and finish the film on Sunday.

Hopefully I can figure out how to move the subtitles down into a more unobtrusive
area of the frame.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Maybe I need to get some JVC glasses and try some 3D.(when I bought the projector I didn't get anyway...as I wasn't interested) I'm used to subtitles anyway. Just not seen a subtitled 3D...yet.I perused the Orei manual and it says it has adjustments for 3D(can't access that part of the menu unless it is connected and using the 3D...)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Schan,

I can usually watch subtitles on a 3D film.

The problem with Flying Swords is that the subtitles are in the upper right corner
of the screen (if I remember correctly). My eyes had to divert from the action on
the screen over to the corner just to read the constant barrage of dialogue.

It was very distracting.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
A former gf(I have no "exes"...) speaks Russian. She spent two years of College in Moscow. Joint degree between USC(South Carolina) and Bauman Moscow. Anyway, if you think subtitles are distracting, try on the fly translation. Very little Russian TV/film is translated to English...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Ron,
I do find subtitles terribly distracting while watching, I think, any 3D film, and I grew up in Puerto Rico watching all films subtitled, except, of course, Spanish language films. But it was a small trade-off in this particular case, imo. Now I'd like to re-watch Flying Swords using the Oppo function where the subtitles can be moved.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Finally got around to updating the list. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug moves to the #1 spot.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I found Imax: Under the Sea in Costco for $12.49 Cdn on Friday. Popped it in and.... WOW! This should be the benchmark disc by which all other 3D discs are judged.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I found Imax: Under the Sea in Costco for $12.49 Cdn on Friday. Popped it in and.... WOW! This should be the benchmark disc by which all other 3D discs are judged.
THERE YOU GO!!!

Now you know why I am so damn pissed off at what is not being done with 3D.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Stephen_J_H said:
When I was a salesman, I would always show the scene from Under the Sea where the grouper comes out of the screen. Of course, some customers would come back and tell me there was something wrong with their TV. Nothing was coming out of the screen in all the 3D Blu-ray's they watched. :3dglasses:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
And it's not just pop-out on Under the Sea; there is fantastic, realistic depth, with layers of fish and foliage. Any other IMAX discs you can recommend? Costco had 3 or 4 at that price point.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This list should help....

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/300565-htf-top-30-must-own-3d-titles/

I am amazed that I put Under The Sea at the bottom. Guess it just got shoved down
by every newer release. Quite frankly, it's one of the very best 3D titles out there.

Like Hubble 3D quite a bit. That would be my next recommendation if it is on sale.

You really can't go wrong with any of the IMAX titles. They all look great....

....but as far as pop-out is concerned, what you have already is rarely repeated.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Have to give an FYI about an absolutely MUST OWN 3D title. This title has consistent impressive 3D throughout. The good news is that the Blu-ray 3D is a live-action native 3D feature and was filmed competently in 3D by a director with 3D realism in mind. No mild or medium 3D here, just pure 100% strong, satisfying 3D. This is what REAL 3D should look like and what all other 3D movies should be compared to.

The bad news for USA enthusiasts is that, although the movie was filmed in the U.S. by American actors, the 3D version is currently only available for purchase in France, and it is a region-B locked Blu-ray 3D disc. :(

Edit: the 3D version has the original English DTS HD MA 5.1 sound track as a choice and NO forced subtitles as an option.

The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet, available through Amazon.fr

51Q%2BeSc%2BDAL.jpg

FYI: My opportunity for viewing unavailable for Region-A Blu-ray's comes from an external plug-in module that fits on the back of my Oppo 103D. Plug it in and unplug it when not in use: The JVB Digital Oppo BDP-103D/105D External kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks