What's new

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam Calvin
RolandL said:
In 2009, the only way you could watch a 3D movie on video was in the field-sequential or inferior anaglyphic 3D method. In the past four years about 250 Blu-ray 3D titles have been released. I’m not complaining. If the number of 3D films titles released in the future is reduced, that’s fine. I’m just happy to have them. So much better than what we had before.
You are absolutely right. It's amazing what has happened in just a few years. And it completely caught me by surprise -- I'll never forget the thrill of stumbling across a Mitsubishi rear-projection HDTV in 3D demo mode at Frys. I dragged friends and family to see it.

I'm rapidly closing in on 100 3D Blu-rays.

Thanks for your positive attitude and thanks for reminding us of how great it is to be an A/V addict in the 21st century.

I only have one bone to pick with your post. I'm weak. I want more. Lots more.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
Getting ready to order Flying Swords.

Can someone please confirm this is a 3D release?

http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Swords-Dragon-Gate-Blu-ray/dp/B008IG0E3Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1394619289&sr=1-1&keywords=flying+swords+of+dragon+gate+3d

Artwork says 3D. Description does not.

Price is just under $20 which is reasonable, that is, unless
there is a better deal elsewhere.

Looked for Young Detective Dee but it does not seem to be
available at the moment unless I go through secondary sellers.
The UK one is slightly cheaper once you remove VAT, and i include the cost of delivery to the USA in that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Swords-Dragon-Gate-Blu-ray/dp/B008U9SWK8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394630537&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=flyin+swords+of+dragon+gate+3d+blu+ray

The German version may be better since it has an English dts 5.1 soundtrack, the UK one is 2.0 English only and watching the original language ( my preferred option usually ) with subtitles on a 3D release is frankly a no no in my opinion, the price is very good too, i think it's cheaper than the UK one.

http://www.amazon.de/Flying-Swords-Dragon-Version-Blu-ray/dp/B0091CZ9UO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394630809&sr=8-3&keywords=flying+swords+of+dragon+gate

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If I order the U.S. release it is only $3 more and I have it in 2 days.
The big question is....

Does the U.S. 3D Blu-ray release have a 5.1 DTS track?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ronald Epstein said:
Getting ready to order Flying Swords.Can someone please confirm this is a 3D release?http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Swords-Dragon-Gate-Blu-ray/dp/B008IG0E3Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1394619289&sr=1-1&keywords=flying+swords+of+dragon+gate+3dArtwork says 3D. Description does not. Price is just under $20 which is reasonable, that is, unlessthere is a better deal elsewhere.Looked for Young Detective Dee but it does not seem to beavailable at the moment unless I go through secondary sellers.
It is 3d. I own it

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looks like i'm going to have to sell my UK edition to buy one with the 5.1 English track for 3D viewing.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ronald Epstein said:
...and you bring up a great point, Todd. Now several years into this new format
the prices of 3D discs are still way outrageous.
I think it was early in the 90’s that I saw an article about someone who had a 3D system that you could watch 3D movies and shorts on VHS tape. The system and tapes were very expensive. The system was around $350 and the tapes were $50 to $90 each. The system was called field-sequential and it had its drawbacks (flicker and low resolution) but so much better than anaglyph 3D.

I know we think the Blu-ray 3D discs are expensive today but, for us 3D nuts that were paying up to $90 for a 3D movie on VHS tape back in 90’s, it’s cheap!

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
FoxyMulder said:
Looks like i'm going to have to sell my UK edition to buy one with the 5.1 English track for 3D viewing.
According to the BD.com site the U.S. Flying Swords of Dragon Gate 3D Blu-ray only has Mandarin in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 with English in DD 2.0.
To my knowledge the U.S is the only country that offers a BD 3D English track.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know what?I prefer to watch a film in its native language with subtitles.

I know subtitles can be an annoyance in 3D, but I am not worried about it.

I am gonna stick with the U.S. release.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ronald Epstein said:
You know what?I prefer to watch a film in its native language with subtitles.I know subtitles can be an annoyance in 3D, but I am not worried about it.I am gonna stick with the U.S. release.
I agree. Enjoy. Great film.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Paul Hillenbrand said:
According to the BD.com site the U.S. Flying Swords of Dragon Gate 3D Blu-ray only has Mandarin in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 with English in DD 2.0.
To my knowledge the U.S is the only country that offers a BD 3D English track.
The UK edition has a 2.0 dubbed English language track for the 3D version as well as the Mandarin 5.1 track.

@ Ron

I agree but this film has such powerful visuals that in 3D the subtitles really do get in the way, i wish i could talk Mandarin.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I agree but this film has such powerful visuals that in 3D the subtitles really do get in the way, i wish i could talk Mandarin
There is no winning here.

I just cancelled the Amazon order.

Which version am I supposed to get? I'd rather not watch a film in 2.0

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:

Don't cancel, many scenes do not have subtitles at all, also bear in mind your AV Receiver can turn that 2.0 into 7.1 sound.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Ron,
The back cover says DTS-HD 5.1 Mandarin only. The sound is impressive. I, too, prefer to watch foreign language films in their original language. However, I also agree with Foxy: the visuals are so impressive as well, that the subtitles get in the way. Perhaps you should get the US version and watch it twice, once in Mandarin and once in English. I think you'll enjoy it that much that you might just do that.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Like I said. It's 5.1. You said you prefer original language right Ron? So you should be good.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Ron,
I purchased Young Detective Dee from DVDPlanet for $38.83, no shipping, no tax. It is the 3D Asian import. Couldn't find it anywhere else. I still think it is worth the price.
BTW, I just checked their site and it's still available for that price point.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:

Another thought here, do you have an Oppo blu ray player, if so you can shift the subtitles so most of them are out of the picture area.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Another thought here, do you have an Oppo blu ray player, if so you can shift the subtitles so most of them are out of the picture area.
Yup, I have an Oppo. How does that get done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks