What's new

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I picked up Flying Swords at a Moviestop for about ten a few months ago. Used.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Steve Christou said:
Bought Gravity, fantastic 3D, a worthy no.1 on Ron's list. There are even some 'pop out' moments for those who like that sort of thing. It's my 111th 3D Blu-ray purchase since I bought an LG 3D TV in September 2012. I opted for passive 'batteries free' 3D glasses after reading about flicker problems and a darker picture on active 3D TVs.
Yikes for sure. I just counted and see that I have 110, Hanno idea I bought so many last year.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
TonyD said:
Yikes for sure.I just counted and see that I have 110, Hanno idea I bought so many last year.
Nice. Makes me feel better knowing I wasn't the only one binge-buying 3D last year Tony. :3dglasses:

And it looks like I should have watched my Flying Dragons of Sword Gate 3D disc. It's not too late.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Steve Christou said:
Bought Gravity, fantastic 3D, a worthy no.1 on Ron's list. There are even some 'pop out' moments for those who like that sort of thing.It's my 111th 3D Blu-ray purchase since I bought an LG 3D TV in September 2012. I opted for passive 'batteries free' 3D glasses after reading about flicker problems and a darker picture on active 3D TVs.
Hi Steve. Your post made me curious so I counted my 3D Blurays and I have 112 including Gravity. Ha. Great minds think alike right?And never mind these other 3D films Ron, when are you going to watch Gravity in 3D and move it into your #1 spot?? We're waiting. ;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think I'm at 60. There are a few double copies in there (like I had Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows separately before I owned it as part of the mega box set), so the number of unique titles may be closer to 50 - will have to check that out when I get home. But I definitely went all binge happy when I got my set, and the bar is lower for me on 3D purchases than 2D ones because of the limited amount of content out there.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Tino said:
And never mind these other 3D films Ron, when are you going to watch Gravity in 3D and move it into your #1 spot?? We're waiting. ;)
It has already been moved to #1.

Agreed that it should be a "must own" title, but personally IMO, it is not even close to a placement example of the best 3D now available.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Tino said:
Hi Steve. Your post made me curious so I counted my 3D Blurays and I have 112 including Gravity. Ha. Great minds think alike right?And never mind these other 3D films Ron, when are you going to watch Gravity in 3D and move it into your #1 spot?? We're waiting. ;)
Damn it Tino you beat me by one! ;) FWIW I didn't include docs or concerts.

I file everything, here are my titles -

Abraham Lincoln Vampire HunterAdventures of TintinAlice in WonderlandAmazing Spider-Man ,TheArthur ChristmasAvatarAvengers ,TheBoltBraveCaptain America - The First AvengerCars 2Christmas Carol ,AClash of the TitansCloudy with a Chance of MeatballsCloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2Conan the BarbarianCoralineCreature from the Black LagoonCroods ,TheDarkest Hour ,TheDespicable MeDespicable Me 2DreddDrive AngryEpicFinding NemoFlying Swords of Dragon GateFrankenweenieFright NightGhost Rider -Spirit of VengeanceGI Joe - RetaliationGravityGreat Gatsby ,TheGreen Hornet ,TheGreen LanternHansel & Gretel - Witch HuntersHappy Feet TwoHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows p.1Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows p.2Hobbit ,TheHobbit ,The - Extended EditionHotel TransylvaniaHow to Train Your DragonHugoI RobotIce Age 3 Dawn of the DinosaursIce Age 4 Continental DriftImmortalsIron Man 3Jack the Giant SlayerJohn CarterJurassic ParkKung Fu PandaKung Fu Panda 2Legend of the GuardiansLife of PiLion King ,TheLorax ,TheMadagascar 3Man of SteelMegamindMen in Black IIIMonster HouseMonsters IncMonsters UniversityMonsters vs AliensMy Bloody ValentineNightmare Before ChristmasOpen SeasonOz - The Great and PowerfulPacific RimParaNormanPercy Jackson and the Sea of MonstersPiranha 3DPirates ,The - In an Adventure with ScientistsPirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger TidesPolar Express ,ThePredatorPriestPrometheusPuss in BootsResident Evil - AfterlifeResident Evil - RetributionRioR.I.P.D.Rise of the GuardiansSaw 3D The Final ChapterShrekShrek 2Shrek 3Shrek Forever AfterStar Trek - Into DarknessTangledThorThor - The Dark WorldThree Musketeers ,TheTitanicTop GunToy StoryToy Story 2Toy Story 3Transformers - Dark of the MoonTron LegacyTurtle's Tale ,AUnderworld AwakeningUpVoyage of the Dawn TreaderWorld War ZWrath of the TitansWreck-It RalphYogi Bear

On my to buy list - some are not available in the UK yet, I don't have a multi-region 3D player

Beauty and the BeastChicken LittleDial M for MurderEscape from Planet EarthFinal Destination 4Final Destination 5House of WaxJourney 2 The Mysterious IslandJourney to the Center of the EarthLittle Mermaid ,TheMars Needs MomsMeet the RobinsonsPiranha 3DDShark Night 3DWizard of Oz ,The

I also own the documentaries - The Universe - WWII 3D - History of the World in 2 Hours and Titanic 3D

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I'm up to 75 myself... and I've seen that Flying Swords movie for sale here for about $15 a few times, but passed on it. After some of the comments above, it sounds like I'll be picking it up next time I see it for sale!

Note: I love reading these threads because of the diverse titles suggested that fit all categories and interests along the way.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
when are you going to watch Gravity in 3D and move it into your #1 spot?
As Paul noted, it is in the #1 position.

As Paul also noted, it is not -- by far -- the best example of 3D out there.
The only reason it made #1 was the combined audio/video experience.

There are much better 3D titles to be had, IMO.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, I was kind of put off with that statement leading the comments to the
Top 3D list.

I understand it was at a time when 3D was still sort of in its infancy, and I agree
that it's time to revisit that statement.

At the same time, can't say I am not worried about the future of the format. With
studios not releasing 3D counterparts of their titles (Frozen, Free Birds), I am a bit
concerned where we are heading at this point.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ronald Epstein said:
At the same time, can't say I am not worried about the future of the format. Withstudios not releasing 3D counterparts of their titles (Frozen, Free Birds), I am a bitconcerned where we are heading at this point.
Even if derailed, I don't see 3D dropping to the absolute depth and despair of 8-track and CED.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ronald Epstein said:
Yeah, I was kind of put off with that statement leading the comments to the
Top 3D list.

I understand it was at a time when 3D was still sort of in its infancy, and I agree
that it's time to revisit that statement.

At the same time, can't say I am not worried about the future of the format. With
studios not releasing 3D counterparts of their titles (Frozen, Free Birds), I am a bit
concerned where we are heading at this point.
I look at this thread as a history of the evolution of 3D software. Perhaps a statement in the the first post, even the first thing a new reader would see, saying something like "3D software has evolved and improved. Many of the comments you will read reflect early opinions on this subject which may no longer be valid."

I know i'm on that first page with a negative comment, but it was true (IMHO) then. Maybe it's still true because the studios are doing the darndest to kill 3D. They still overprice 3D, the WOZ fiasco, now Disney's Frozen. It would seem the studios would prefer to sell to a few at a higher margin than to many at a lower.

Ron, it's my opinion that your ranking has also evolved. Early on, you considered 3D above all else in the ranking. Now, I think you give the overall quality of the film a greater importance. Consider Gravity, the new #1. There's better 3D on your list, but there it is a number 1. IMHO of course.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
One positive thing to note, and perhaps Disney will begin to rethink what they've done with Frozen, is that Thor: The Dark World, sale priced at $22.99 at most retailers for the Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/Digital Copy combo, sold very well. The Best Buy store I work at sold out all 70 of our 3D versions the first day.

Compare that to Iron Man 3 which was sale priced at $34.99 (?) during its first week, which did not sell out, ever, and now sells for $37.99.

Price a popular film at a more affordable price, and you will sell many more copies.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
In 2009, the only way you could watch a 3D movie on video was in the field-sequential or inferior anaglyphic 3D method. In the past four years about 250 Blu-ray 3D titles have been released. I’m not complaining. If the number of 3D films titles released in the future is reduced, that’s fine. I’m just happy to have them. So much better than what we had before.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Todd Erwin said:
One positive thing to note, and perhaps Disney will begin to rethink what they've done with Frozen, is that Thor: The Dark World, sale priced at $22.99 at most retailers for the Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/Digital Copy combo, sold very well. The Best Buy store I work at sold out all 70 of our 3D versions the first day.

Compare that to Iron Man 3 which was sale priced at $34.99 (?) during its first week, which did not sell out, ever, and now sells for $37.99.

Price a popular film at a more affordable price, and you will sell many more copies.
I doubt anything will make them rethink. For a long as I can remember, Disney and been the gouger high-priced seller. They put their classics out for a while at a high price, then put them into the vault. They'd rather not sell a copy, than sell at a lower price. They know parents will have to listen to a drumbeat of pleas for their movie from the kids, until they give in. It appears now that Disney has decided to sell Frozen 3D in another fashion, perhaps after a year, they'll sell it on blu-ray. Course you've already bought in that other way.

I think no other company is as greedy as Disney.
Ronald Epstein said:
...and you bring up a great point, Todd. Now several years into this new format
the prices of 3D discs are still way outrageous.
Sure is true. By being patient and picky I've managed to buy most of my 3Ds for less than $20. Of course there are exceptions. Frozen for one from the UK. I'll get out next week to pick up Gravity at Target, but I've got $15 in gift cards for that so I tell myself I'm getting it on sale.

After all these years the prices haven't come down. They're taking the golden goose, screaming at it for not delivering more golden eggs, and now they are just squeezing it for one LAST egg. Next thing they'll do is take a shotgun to it, while muttering "I'll bet this gets her to perk up."

Wow, I must be feeling particularly pissed off.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Getting ready to order Flying Swords.

Can someone please confirm this is a 3D release?

http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Swords-Dragon-Gate-Blu-ray/dp/B008IG0E3Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1394619289&sr=1-1&keywords=flying+swords+of+dragon+gate+3d

Artwork says 3D. Description does not.

Price is just under $20 which is reasonable, that is, unless
there is a better deal elsewhere.

Looked for Young Detective Dee but it does not seem to be
available at the moment unless I go through secondary sellers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks