What's new

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
3D at home is near death so what more did you want from them?

Not quite:
The latest on James Cameron partnering with Dolby 3D, which is described as having a lot of progress with creative preservation accuracy, and he is now stating:
”I’m looking forward to seeing movies on one of these great displays, in my home starting this year.”

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
What did your lengthy email say??

I mean they were very clear and concise about the direction they are heading going forward. 3D at home is near death so what more did you want from them?

I fully expected reply’s like this, don’t know why I bothered posting.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Your post was informative, and for those that really care about 3D like we do, it is important.
What I do not understand is why this person feels the need to thread crap in a thread devoted to "Must Own 3D" movies. He is not a fan of 3D in any way, shape, or form.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me

Not looking to offend, but your post is without context. They clearly don't invest in 3D anymore and they clearly stated it in a short and sweet note. You were offended by it, but without seeing what you wrote to them to invoke their short response, we have zero context to understand your anger.

Does that make more sense. I'm just looking for more clarification. I can't be angry at Disney based on just that note they sent you.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
You care about 3D, just like the majority here.
Consumers will need to buy glasses-free technology in-quantity and Disney will provide the media.
Glasses-free displays should be a big step-up from the first-majority of consumer owners of initial first-generation 2010- 14 3D technology.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not looking to offend, but your post is without context. They clearly don't invest in 3D anymore and they clearly stated it in a short and sweet note. You were offended by it, but without seeing what you wrote to them to invoke their short response, we have zero context to understand your anger.

Does that make more sense. I'm just looking for more clarification. I can't be angry at Disney based on just that note they sent you.
If he wants to provide that context, he can, but if not then move on. It's his right to be angry as he knows what he wrote to them. As a 3-D home video supporter, I understand his anger. If you don't, maybe, it's because you don't support that video format at home.

Last edited:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I don't own any 3D but had a chance to view some during the heyday of 3D discs. 3D is fun but I wasn't ready to invest in all the equipment at the time due to costs involved.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell

There was no way of contacting directly as email, it was a contact form as such.
I cannot remember my exact words but I took considerable time compiling my message to them. I started by how much I enjoy Disney films and collected many titles in various formats from VHS, DVD through to Blu Ray and 3D Blu Ray. I spoke of our repeated enjoyment rewatching titles such as Ratatouille and Frozen and how spectacular they look on our modest home cinema setup. I told them how upsetting it would be for not only ourselves but many 3D enthusiasts if Disney ceased all production for discs on 3D home video. Anyway it was song those lines.

To get that short no apology reply back after many years of support I thought was shocking.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Oh ok, I see.

Sorry they didn't reply the way you had hoped but I'm sure they have heard the same kind of stories (emails) from dozens of other passionate 3D watchers but honestly I don't feel they need to apologize to you for the fact that 3D is no longer a viable financial product for them. Hopefully you are wise enough to know that they didn't owe you any kind of apology.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hopefully you are wise enough to know that they didn't owe you any kind of apology.

"Hopefully you are wise enough to know..." Really?

Thank goodness we have you around to tell us what we should and shouldn't know, Johnny.

I've written this before and I'll write it here again. The 3-D enthusiasts on this forum don't need to be lectured about the future of 3-D in the hobby. Just like the people who enjoy physical media don't need to be lectured about the future of disc production/streaming.

Don't misunderstand me. Discussion about the hobby is great. Debate about fine points within the hobby is encouraged!

But telling people they shouldn't enjoy/support their niche within the hobby won't be tolerated. Telling these same people what they already know to be true is unnecessary. And telling another forum member about what they should/shouldn't be angry about is just plain rude.

The admin team has been giving you a fair amount of leeway...yet we continue to find ourselves banning you from various threads around the forum in which you continue to engage in that very activity. Please take heed of my points here. If you don't you'll be facing more serious disciplinary action.

Last edited:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Glasses free tech unfortunately will only offer depth and very mild pop out, I do not want to invest in that but if it helps get more classic 3D releases then good as long as those 3D releases are not substantially altered to

It’s a shame about Disney, they muck up and dumb down their audio on discs and now they ditch 3D on their worldwide releases, soon they are going to try and make some films exclusive to their new Disney channel, the world has gone mad, most don’t want quality anymore, it’s all convenience, or maybe it was always that way and I just never saw it.

We are still to hear what James Cameron is doing with Avatar 2, he said he was too conservative with the first Avatar, I agree, since then 3D has declined in disc sales, I hope he is more aggressive with his use of 3D, that is assuming he cares at this point, I got loads of discs i need to watch.

Depth and pop out, that’s king for me when it comes to 3D.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The reply did surprise me, since it was quite clear and had less of the corporate gobble-dee-gook in it. It was definite, no more 3D. Unlike JQ, I don’t take pleasure from the reply, but am saddened by it.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Glasses free tech unfortunately will only offer depth and very mild pop out, I do not want to invest in that but if it helps get more classic 3D releases then good as long as those 3D releases are not substantially altered to

It’s a shame about Disney, they muck up and dumb down their audio on discs and now they ditch 3D on their worldwide releases, soon they are going to try and make some films exclusive to their new Disney channel, the world has gone mad, most don’t want quality anymore, it’s all convenience, or maybe it was always that way and I just never saw it.

We are still to hear what James Cameron is doing with Avatar 2, he said he was too conservative with the first Avatar, I agree, since then 3D has declined in disc sales, I hope he is more aggressive with his use of 3D, that is assuming he cares at this point, I got loads of discs i need to watch.

Depth and pop out, that’s king for me when it comes to 3D.

I’m not sure how glasses free 3D will work out Malcolm, maybe it will surprise us ( if we’re still around) or maybe it won’t.

It seems like an age waiting for Avatar sequels but if it’s not the same 3D tech as present I don’t think we can watch it anyway. Dunno.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Does anyone use the 2D to 3D conversion on either player or display ?, I tried it early on with one of my first 3D TVs but thought it wasn’t great.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
OMG. Can we stop this talk about glasses free 3D? It's been going on for years with none of these TV's were ever produced for us to buy. If the TV manufacturers aren't interested in 3D, why would they come out with a glasses free TV? They would definitely be more expensive than the current TV's so why would they make them? Even less people would be interested in them than when 3D TV's were produced years ago. Sorry for the rant, but I'm sick of people thinking these TV's will bring back interest in 3D.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Why would less people be interested? I’d be first in line. The only thing stopping me from buying a new 4K TV is it’s lack of 3D capability. Just because you are tired of hearing about glasses free 3D, it does not prevent the rest of us getting excited about it. I read every article about it I can and live in hope that my large library of 3D discs will still be usable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks