What's new

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think my home theatre comes close, it works for me anyway.
I’m sure it’s nice but in my opinion no home theater no matter how extravagant can compete with ,as I said, a properly shown 3D film on a huge screen. Especially an IMAX screen. Not even close.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm so lucky in the Dallas, TX, area. Cinemark is headquartered here so they are very careful about the PQ in their IMAX and 3D showings. AMC has Dolby Cinema and IMAX here as well with flawless PQ.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Finally got around to viewing HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON and I was truly amazed how much I liked it and how good the 3D was. I remember looking at the front of the case and thinking it looks stupid with that dragon. I was wrong on that one. Can't wait to watch #2 soon and am glad I ordered #3. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :3dglasses:

I did follow it up with three of the LITTLE RASCAL SHORTS in 3D and they were excellent.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I was going to watch Alita IMAX 3D this weekend, but my friend I was going with got sick, and so I didn't go. I thought I would catch a local 3D showing at my local Cinema this week sometime, and no 3D showings at all:huh: The new Lego movie has one 3D showing a day.:eek:

I think this is it folks. The fun is coming to an end.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hate to agree, but it does seem closer to the end than the beginning. Captain Marvel - a film that was made to be shown in IMAX 3D with good use of 3D and shifting aspect ratios - will only play in 2D in IMAX in the US.

How To Train Your Dragon 3 may also end up being shown exclusively in 2D in IMAX, despite the fact that the series boasts impressive use of 3D.

I’ve had to choose multiple times over the last year or two whether to see something in IMAX 2D (or another premium format like Dolby Cinema) or non-premium 3D on smaller screens. Something like Crimes Of Grindelwald technically played in 3D in the NYC area, but it didn’t really play on any high quality 3D screens. It’s like we’re being forced into a choice of either a first rate 2D presentation or a second or third rate 3D presentation. The days of theaters offering high quality 3D presentations seem to be ending.

I’ve been noticing lately in the NYC area that movies that have 3D versions are generally only getting 3D screenings during the first week. After that, it pretty much switches to 2D-only for the rest of the run. There are exceptions but they’re becoming fewer and further apart.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Captain Marvel - a film that was made to be shown in IMAX 3D with good use of 3D and shifting aspect ratios - will only play in 2D in IMAX in the US.

Crazy!!!:angry:

I have to say this is really going to affect my theater visits. I don't see many movies to begin with each year but 3D presentations always got me to show up, and enjoy the show. Without the 3D feature, I think I might just stop going altogether, and wait for home video.

I hope at least the next Star Wars film has 3D. I would like to see it in the theater.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I’m sure it’s nice but in my opinion no home theater no matter how extravagant can compete with ,as I said, a properly shown 3D film on a huge screen. Especially an IMAX screen. Not even close.

That's most likely, I've never been to a high quality IMAX cinema. There isn't one near me in the UK.

Thing I like most is controlling when I watch, how warm or cold it is, access to break's and food/wine etc. Oh and I don't have to endure the stink of popcorn!.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thing I like most is controlling when I watch, how warm or cold it is, access to break's and food/wine etc. Oh and I don't have to endure the stink of popcorn!.
All of us can agree on that Martin. I’m talking exclusively about film presentation.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
08D1601D-E6A8-40ED-ADBD-11D8CFCEAC78.png
I got a reply from my lengthy email to Walt Disney, quite frankly I think it’s lacking... infact it’s a pathetic reply.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
What did your lengthy email say??

I mean they were very clear and concise about the direction they are heading going forward. 3D at home is near death so what more did you want from them?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

You are right. IMAX 3D is second to none--truly fantastic.
But to be perfectly honest the divide between my 65" 3D TV, and 142" projected image in my home is no comparison either. I can't even fathom watching any 3D feature other than projection. The sense of immersion, and wow factor of 3D is night and day compared to my TV....which makes me wonder why I was so determined to get a 3D TV to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks