What's new

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
ANT-MAN AND THE WASP had super good 3D. From the opening titles to the end, non-stop 3D and action. I did put on the UHD of it and it looked beautiful...BUT THE 3D REALLY BRINGS IT ALIVE!

It's best but not required that you watch AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR first.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Prime only works for domestic shipments

Yes, but the way Amazon has handled these latest Warner 3D by either removing the 2 d or Digital discs I wouldnt trust them. Not only that, but many of those stripped copies have been more expensive too
Plenty on other US sites should be available. Amazon.ca will usually have a digitial that can be used with a workaround and all the Canadian releases hav still had slipcovers for those that care and don't mind a couple French words.

I forgot about that! I just pre-ordered the 3D discs of “The Crimes of Grindelwald” and “Aquaman” from Amazon.ca (I live near Toronto), and picked up the British 3D of “Ant Man and The Wasp” from my US postal box.
Along with the blus of “Star Trek” the animated series, which was on sale for next to nothing on Amazon.uk. I can’t wait to unload my DVDs of the later, which have ridiculous packaging.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Very sad news here in the UK that HMV are in administration, as you know is used HMV for 90% of my Blu Ray purchases although mostly online, I’ve had abut £140 of points credits that I’ve spent in store over the years. I’m hoping they can be rescued again.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
They certainly went belly up in Canada. Like everybody else, I really used to enjoy going to the closest big city, (Toronto) and browsing for hours through their gigantic multi-storied store.

They fell victim to Amazon syndrome. It just became too easy to order on line. They also were hugely over-extended with stores in every town.

Also, we now have money to basically buy what I want within reason, but really nothing left to buy that we need. My wife and I since retirement find that really we have enough cloths, furniture, etc. etc. She has become very interested in crafts in the last few years and was telling me that she now has enough supplies to open her own store!
This, coupled with cleaning out houses belonging to our parents, which were full of “crap” nobody wanted, have made us careful infrequent shoppers. Therefore we are not shopping at former favourites like Sears, Toys R Us, Sam The Record Man, and HMV.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They fell victim to Amazon syndrome. It just became too easy to order on line.

I think that could be part of it, but the market for physical media has also hugely changed - many average consumers (which most of us HTF members really aren't) are no longer interested in purchasing a physical object when they're interested in consuming media. A store that sells CDs can't survive in an environment where people don't want to buy CDs to listen to music. A store that sells DVDs can't survive in an environment where people don't want to buy DVDs to watch movies.

It's the end of an era and it's sad and unfortunate but I don't think it's fair to place the blame entirely on online retailers. I don't think it's a simple case of physical media purchases being moved from retail store locations to online stores; it's a much more complicated situation where a growing percentage of the audience is choosing to consume media in a way that doesn't require buying a physical object.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I first fell in love with stop motion animation when I first watched LOST CONTINENT('51) when I was very very young. Of course Ray Harryhausen's didn't help! I've tried to collect all stop motion films for my collection, so when THE BOXTROLLS came out, I had to have it.

Of course, it was a no brainer to double dip for the 3Der! It doesn't have great 3D, but quite a bit of it is very good. Could they have done more, probably, but what they did really helped the movie along. :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

I'm glad I bought it twice. Now, to give that extra copy to the grandkids.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Rewatched Disney’s Moana.. stunning colours and 3D just like Frozen. I’m going to miss Disney 3D :(

Moana is probably my favorite 3D film from Disney. I am going to miss their 3D movies in the home video market too, especially if they continue to show them as 3D in theaters only.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I just saw Mary Poppins Returns and after, what I thought, was an excellent 3D conversion of Beauty and the Beast (2017) was truly saddened that this film was not converted. Such a missed opportunity as there seemed to be many shots setup to show depth. I think this is the test that Disney executives will use to justify an end to "Disney 3D" theatrically. Look, they will say, it made big box office without the annoyance and cost of a 3D conversion. They are already pretty much ending release of Blu-ray 3D discs worldwide and even the films from all studios released in 3D in my area get a one showing per day at one theater during first week of release so act quickly if interested. I was told by a theater manager the chain has this one daily showing to meet their contract with the studios. I missed out on Aquaman and caught the last day of 3D Ralph Breaks the Internet. Even with the ability to watch 3D films with a VR headset which is a growing market hasn't convinced the studios to release 3D films for home use. It seems 2019 will be the official end of this period of 3D presentation. Even if the films are still being made or converted it doesn't matter if theaters refuse to show them and studios refuse to release them on Blu-ray or even streaming. It truly sucks and shows once again that customer satisfaction is dead in the 21st century. I don't think 4K discs are a enough to get rid of 3D for as 3D is just so much more compelling at home than the slight improvement seen on most home sized TV screens.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well, Disney hits another one out of the ball park...ZOOTOPIA. Great 3D, plenty of depth and a really enjoyable movie, and it's not just for kids.

I don't have to many Disney ones left to watch, so I'm going to savor them while I can. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks