What's new

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just received in the mail GUN FURY and JULIA X. Going to be a real fun weekend.

Just finished watching FINDING NEMO which had some lackluster 3D. There were scenes that absolutely came alive and looked awesome in 3D.

Also, just finished watching FINDING DORY which I had never seen when it originally came out. I think the story wise it was on par with NEMO and really enjoyed it. The 3D was the same as NEMO, but it also had scenes that were really 3D with real depth.

The sound, even thought DTS 7.1 on the two of them, the audio was just so-so in both films.

Anyway, waiting to see the other Disney classics in 3D in the coming weeks. :3dglasses:

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Probably most of you have these, but I just picked these up at BIG LOTS for $5 each:

MEGAMIND
SHREK THE THIRD
KUNG FU PANDA
RISE OF THE GUADRIANS
TURBO
MADAGASCAR 3
PUSS IN BOOTS
SHREK FOREVER AFTER: THE FINAL CHAPTER :thumbsup: :3dglasses:
was just coming to put this too. :D

Got Rise, Turbo, Mad 3 and Mr. Peabody. Didn't see Kung fu but will look better next time. Can't be cooler!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
TURBO...damn good animated film. Plenty of depth and the occasional pop out. Enjoyable voices really makes the film. The DTS MA 7.1 audio really enhances the movie. A great addition to your 3D collection. :3dglasses:
Saw the ad for that at the beginning of something else. was laughing at it at first but then it started looking good!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Never thought I'd be buying animated features for the 3D, but I guess that's the way it is. Since I got into 3D so late, it's been a game of catch up. I've decided to stop buying 3d of the movies I already have. I have still yet to sell those doubles. Glad that the animated ones are going for so cheap from some places. You just have to look around for the sites and deals.

So far some of the best deals I have bought from has been off eBay. It's good to have a region free player, then it doesn't matter where you buy them from.

I will be going back tomorrow to another store, there are 3 within 15 miles of me, and see if they are any others that I missed,

To me, the best animated post 3Der is DESPICABLE ME for awesome 3D ( I missspoke when I said MINIONS...it's 1.85;1). DESPICABLE ME was shown 2.35:1 and they use that upper/lower black space to the fullest.

So far, not any feature has come up to that 3D but only speaking for post 3D...IMHO :3dglasses:

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
late as well. coming on one year since I got my first 3d tv. planning a projector system after I move into a new house someday.

Great fun buying stuff. NOt everything is great, like I Frankenstein and Spider. Some are surprises like Percy Jackson 2. That series is like stuff from the 80s. Wish they'd do more of those and in 3D.

btw, amazon has The Passengers 3D (3K and blu in same package) for $15. I got that and Kudo 3D for $33. well $13 actually, using reward $$ on my amazon cc. :) The swimming pool scene in Passengers is one of my favorite 3D moments so far. Simply brilliant.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
What I'm waiting to see is JULIA X...can't beat a movie about a male serial killer stalking females that are male serial killers...AND IN 3D TO BOOT!.

Don't let the naysayers say that this is bullshit...but, then again, it might be. I'll give my review of this 3D classic (IMHO) soon.

Just have to order HAUNTING HELENA to round out my horror 3Ders!!! :3dglasses: :dance:

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
I'm hoping to see a 3-D Blu-ray release of MJ's Thriller because it isn't playing anywhere around me. According to Hettrick's recent review, the "3-D is solid as well, although this doesn’t exploit the medium like Jackson’s “Captain Eo” at Disneyland. Here the 3D pops the most for a few seconds right at the beginning and right at the end." Of interest:

With the exception of the 3D effects, the content of the short has not been edited or changed except that it looks terrific even blown up that big all these years later due to a digital restoration of the film starting with the original 35mm negative by DeluxeLab, Optimum Productions and Landis. It was converted to 3D by Legend3D. All of the audio, including Michael’s music, Elmer Bernstein’s “scary” score and sound effects, were adapted to 5.7, 7.1 and Atmos standards in order to create the highest quality audio experience for in theater viewing.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well, you're all correct. I had the ARs mixed up.

Minions is 1.85:1 but after the credits it switches to 2.35:1, which allows for all sort of things to come out of the frame, including an old man walking from right to left.

To me that is the best post 3D that I have ever seen. :3dglasses:

Tonight the wife and I watched a double header, GUN FURY and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (animated.) And yesterday morning I watched JULIA X. I'll give my critique of them tomorrow.

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
To the naysayers, I thought JULIA X was a good story line...the crazy hunting the crazy. A fair amount of blood but no T&A like NURSE. Since this was made for 3D, it shows it well. Pop-ups galore and depth that could be gleamed from stationery filming..

GUN FURY was, of course excellent! One thing bothered me, the picture was soft, but the 3D trailer was twice as sharp. Too bad the movie couldn't have been that way.

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (animated) has a lot going for it. The story, the colors, the songs...and the 3D brought it all alive. I'm glad I bought this.

All in all, some great additions to my collection. :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (animated) has a lot going for it. The story, the colors, the songs...and the 3D brought it all alive. I'm glad I bought this.
BatB has to be one of the better, if not best, cell-animation conversions to 3D. And it's a great film.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
For $5 (Big Lots) you can't beat the price...MEGAMIND. I really enjoyed the movie, great 3D and I really like Farrell. Didn't know it was Pitt for the other voice. :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Last edited:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Been an absolute age getting around to watching 'War for the planet of the apes' but this afternoon was that time.
I just wish I had not waited this long, we both enjoyed the movie storyline. The picture quality for the most part was very good, a few of the darkest scenes seemed very dark and lacking any shadow detail but mostly was very nice along with base black level.
The 3D itself ranged from a little flat looking to Wow what a stunning foreground to background imagery in some scenes!.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Been an absolute age getting around to watching 'War for the planet of the apes' but this afternoon was that time.
I just wish I had not waited this long, we both enjoyed the movie storyline. The picture quality for the most part was very good, a few of the darkest scenes seemed very dark and lacking any shadow detail but mostly was very nice along with base black level.
The 3D itself ranged from a little flat looking to Wow what a stunning foreground to background imagery in some scenes!.

Glad you were able to view them :dance:Hoping all else is well in reference to your eye balls and that they are getting better! :cheers:

Another 100 degree day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks