What's new

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nope. At least with "Jupiter Ascending" I was able to see some eye candy in the form of VFX and art design. In BF, all I got to see was Travolta scenery-chewing in a shitty film. But it is all subjective, right? :D

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Several years too late, I broke down on Prime Day and picked up a DLP projector that can handle 3D and a couple of pairs of glasses. I love it. Unfortunately, the screen I bought is really too large for a permanent place inside the house, but it will work great for outdoor movies and for the occasional indoor screening when I can convince my wife that it will be fun. I always loved 3D movies, so I'm using this opportunity to snag several of the vintage films that are available that I've never seen in 3D like The Bubble, Kiss Me Kate, and the 3D Rarities disc. I desperately wish that more of the 3D films from the brief 1980's renaissance were available, like Friday the 13th, Part 3 and Starchaser, but there are enough discs out there to keep me broke for a while.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
And its still raining up North Martin. We came home a day early from our Lake District camping expedition due to the weather forecast but was boiling all week.
Back to 3D :)

LA.jpg

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Any opinions of the 3D versions of the last 2 Harry Potter movies?

I've heard their 3D is mediocre to bad, but I was curious to get thoughts...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I thought they both looked great in 3-D.

There aren't many reviews, and they weren't as uniform as I recalled. One thought the 3D was bad, the other thought it was okay.

I asked more out of idle curiosity than a potential purchase - I have the 4K UHDs for the whole franchise and since the movies weren't shot with 3D in mind, I'll stick with 2D.

Though if they popped up for $8 or less I'd probably give them a go! :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I liked the 3D versions, too. In fact, they're my go-to versions of The Deathly Hallows. As with most conversions, far more depth than forward projection, but some of that depth is really, really impressive.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They didn’t have time to complete the conversion for Part 1 to the studio’s standards, so that was never released theatrically. It doesn’t have great separation or depth and because it’s a dark movie, some parts can seem a little dim. That said, it’s still the version I watch.

The 3D in Part 2 is a significant improvement and well worth it.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Next time we watch the franchise I will give DH 1&2 a go in 3D on the Projector, black.levels and contrast are pretty good on the JVC which might counteract the dimness and the active glasses somewhat.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well then, while I accept this is a personal list, it's hard to understand why Jungle Book isn't on it.

Boy, do I agree!

I saw the movie 2D back in 2016 and didn't like it a whole lot.

I just got the 3D Blu-ray - I still don't think it's an especially good movie, but the 3D is phenomenal.

The sense of depth is astounding, and there are a few good "pop-out" scenes for those who like that kind of 3D.

Heck, I even flinched once because it felt like I was gonna get hit by a tree branch!

I won't say this is the best 3D I've seen, but it's on a VERY short list of the strongest 3D presentations...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks