What's new

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks, I beg to differ though with this comment..

"at least I've seen it all and can have a valid opinion of it, versus those who vote on "worst movies of all time" without having ever seen half of them"

Martin.
I don't think Jesse was specifically referring to you tho Martin.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I get it, but every film I have ever watched that didn't work for me and I stayed until the end I always regret doing so. Every single one. No redeeming qualities because I didn't like the film to begin with and should have walked away but didn't. Time wasted, nothing gained, and I have no one to blame but myself.

Can you give me an example of a film you disliked in the beginning, but changed your opinion to a really good film by the end of it?

Blade Runner 2049. For a good hour or more, I thought it was lousy. Dull, dreary, uncompelling. Then it started to come together.

There are other films that I like early on which then start to loose me. I really liked Hard to Be a God, for the first half hour or more, but it just got to be such a slog. I liked the conecept and I was impressed with the production, but things just became relentlessly grim, grimy, ugly, sloppy, stagnant, and there was no sense of progress and it just didn't seem like it was going anywhere. There were 3 walkouts in the screening, and I can't say I blamed them.

It's actually the rare film that I'm completely on board with right from the start. I do admire the film that is carefully crafted to suck you in from the very first scene. But I don't see that as necessary for all types of films.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Found a couple of 3D blu-rays in the Walmart $5 dump bin tonight: Insurgent (Divergent series) and Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor. I didn't have time to search the whole bin, so I don't know if there were any others.

Also saw Jurassic World 3D in the catalog section for $14.96.

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Found a couple of 3D blu-rays in the Walmart $5 dump bin tonight: Insurgent (Divergent series) and Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor. I didn't have time to search the whole bin, so I don't know if there were any others.

I picked up 2 yesterday there...BEYOND SKYLINE, which takes place after SKYLINE. Also the SD of LEATHERFACE. Didn't know they threw 3Ders in there. I'll have to go back tomorrow to see if I can find those!!!

MALCOLM, THANKS FOR THE TIP!!!

I enjoyed SKYLINE, all the way to the end, but will watch LEATHERFACE tomorrow.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Blade Runner 2049. For a good hour or more, I thought it was lousy. Dull, dreary, uncompelling. Then it started to come together.

There are other films that I like early on which then start to loose me. I really liked Hard to Be a God, for the first half hour or more, but it just got to be such a slog. I liked the conecept and I was impressed with the production, but things just became relentlessly grim, grimy, ugly, sloppy, stagnant, and there was no sense of progress and it just didn't seem like it was going anywhere. There were 3 walkouts in the screening, and I can't say I blamed them.

It's actually the rare film that I'm completely on board with right from the start. I do admire the film that is carefully crafted to suck you in from the very first scene. But I don't see that as necessary for all types of films.

When I mentioned earlier there are a lot of films that I don't finish because I don't like them, that was a bit of an understatement.
In order for me to give up on a film I have to really despise it, with it being the concept, writing, acting, or all.

I will watch a film any day that starts boring or disjointed and doesn't exactly do much for me, I'll finish it. No problem.

Give me a pretentious, back patting screen written mess with Good actors looking bad because of the material they are given, and I'm out.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Of course you realise we are all 3D mad on here :thumbs-up-smiley:
I find it quite a thrill calling in my local used disc shop and its really nice that the younger staff in it are keen to listen to my stories of 'the olden days' when I collected the very few Philips 1500 VCR films that were made available, thru to Beta etc. Oh the passing years and here I am now with real 3D projected at home and all those 50's 3D classics restored and yet more to come. What a great time to see all this happen...

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I expect it's old news but we watched Kung Fu panda 3 again yesterday, I was confused why the only audio available on the UK disc was 5.1 DTS.
A friend of mine linked me to a review and it seems if you set the player to region A the lo and behold 7.1 DTS hd ma is available. UK ripped off again!.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

I tried 2 Walmarts and found nothing. I did pick up 4 CDs I didn't have for $5 each.

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
Does anyone have a 3D review of "Rampage" (2018)? The main movie thread is talk with 2D, and my local chain didn't have a 3D showing so 2D is how I had to see it. Not looking for a movie review - having seen it, but more of depth/pop-out thoughts. Thanks!!!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Does anyone have a 3D review of "Rampage" (2018)? The main movie thread is talk with 2D, and my local chain didn't have a 3D showing so 2D is how I had to see it. Not looking for a movie review - having seen it, but more of depth/pop-out thoughts. Thanks!!!
Hasn’t been released yet to review...its still in theaters. Or are you talking about the 3D theatrical presentation?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The movie is a fun no brainer summer flick. We saw it in imax 3D, and although I can no longer remember exact details, I do remember that we were impressed at the time and were firmly convinced that 3D was the only way to go.

I also have pre-ordered the 3D version.

vinnie7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
It's hokey (and juvenile) as hell, and the 3D is mild. The surviving characters brought back are caricatures of themselves, and the new ones are an improbable rag-tagteam of teenager heroes. The kaiju/jaeger battles are fun enough. The enveloping effect mostly mimics that of Tomb Raider as far as 3D effectiveness is concerned. Black Panther is indeed the better 3D experience (thanks in part to those beauteous IMAX shots) of late.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Coco 3D on order. Had problems trying to see this at the flicks in 3D which is getting the norm around here so having to join other locals in waiting for a 3D disc to become available. At the end of the day its the film distributors who will be loosing out...
Hoping to watch Hotel Transylvania II 3D over the weekend.

Oh and my latex Creature from the Black Lagoon mask has arrived so all set when Revenge of the Creature 3D arrives in August :3dglasses:

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
A review of the Black Panther 3-D Blu-ray appeared online today.

Black Panther's Blu-ray 3D release is awesome. The image yields some awe-inspiring perspective, fantastic area shape, and some truly stunning environmental creations. Just look at the train tracks around 110 minute mark. The camera is positioned down low on the tracks, which stretch for quite some distance. It's one of the absolute best 3D stretch shots the format has ever seen. It's one of those that will wear out the remote's pause and rewind buttons. Just soak it in(why, again, is this format dying in the United States, where this disc is not locally available?).

Strongly defined environmental shape is a regular feature. It's not just basic depth on display but rather a very tangible, a very well defined presentation of total area. The 1992-era apartment in Oakland seen in the film's opening minutes sets a very good 3D tone for the entire movie (and it only gets better!). Though the scene is fairly dark, the Blu-ray 3D disc reveals a very firm, very realistic openness and sense of distance to various objects and walls. The same holds true for a ship interior a few minutes later in which the spacing inspires a great deal of respect for its flawless perspective. The third dimension so regularly defines the shape of the film's environments that the image sometimes almost starts to feel commonplace, and then another A-list 3D scene pops in to dazzle. The waterfall atop of which battles for supremacy are fought is quite striking and perhaps the most amazing of the more extensively seen set pieces in the film (that train track shot is still the best 3D moment in the film). The large volume of the space, the jutting rock formations, the vertical stretch, the combatants standing in the water, the separation between onlookers…it's a striking visual setting that is even more so in 3D. It's one of those rare set pieces where every visual component compliments the 3D platform and its strengths to perfection. Even relatively confined spaces, such as seen in a shot of a person sitting just a couple of feet away from a bank of computer monitors at the 17:55 mark, offer a very realistic sense of measurable volume.

Some of the more core visuals that really lend themselves to a 3D presentation shine. Ships appear to fly through space with a tangible sense of distance from land, more distant sky, and one another. The holographic technology various character employ, as screens and images and readouts appear to hover over their wrists, is quite impressively shapely. Additional extra-screen goodness abounds. Rifle barrels stick out during an action scene in chapter two and plenty of extension and depth alike draws the viewer in close to the climactic battle sequence.

There are some crosstalk effects, a few of which are severe, scattered throughout the film as seen on the review Sony XBR65Z9D. Such are not enough to deteriorate the entirety of the image but enough to dampen enthusiasm for it just a little bit. Otherwise, the presentation is stellar. The 3D image loses very little, if any, of its textural integrity or color saturation. Both are very strong elements and perfectly compliment the consistently stellar 3D work on display.

Note that this 3D version of the film offers shifting aspect ratios that jump from 2.39:1 to 1.85:1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks