What's new

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I've been rewatching all of the Marvel movies in anticipation of the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War, and all but the first three MCU movies are in 3D.

I remain really impressed by the 3D conversion on the 2012 release of "Marvel's The Avengers" (aka "Avengers Assemble" in the UK). For those unfamiliar with the film, the idea had been to shoot the movie natively in 3D, and 3D was part of the film's preproduction design. Unfortunately, director of photography Seamus McGarvey threw a glorified temper tantrum after having difficulty using the 3D rig during a scene being shot during preproduction for use in another Marvel film that was releasing first, and refused to use the 3D equipment any further. (He further stated that he refused to do any practice or preparation work prior to that shoot. [sarcasm] I'm shocked, shocked I say, that someone using a new piece of equipment without any experience or training on it could have difficulty using it. That's clearly the fault of the 3D rig and not the person trying to use it. [/sarcasm] ) I'm not sure why McGarvey wasn't shown the door, but he was instead allowed to shoot the film in 2D for 3D conversion. Fortunately, the 3D turned out great. I suspect that this is because director Joss Whedon had already done extensive planning for what the movie was supposed to look like in 3D, and that the conversion team was able to use that to their advantage.

Love your gift for word...that's why you're a REVIEWER and I'm not :thumbsup:!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That's very kind - I feel like I'm just rambling half the time but if I'm not putting everyone to sleep, I'll call that a win.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I honestly have no idea. I live in the USA.

I have sent packages to the UK, so I'm aware of customs charges. I'm not sure how Amazon US handles these charges.
Thanks, it comes out around £27 to the UK, import tax and shipping amount to about £10 per disc from USA. :(

Last edited:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Well that's The Last Jedi watched, not a lot to say really except after reading comments on the movie itself and the 3D I was pleasantly surprised. Overall PQ was very good on my active system with the darkening glasses.
We found the 3D to have very nice sense of depth although very few pop out moments.
Both of us thought the film could of been 30 minutes shorter, in the last half hour I felt several times the end had come but on it went again.. I do wish movies were just a little shorter with gripping content.

Something I noticed was audio, DTS HD MA 7.1 yet I was not blown away, during what you would think should be bass heavy explosions/action scenes with gunfire etc punching through it was almost like the audio was compressed or lost volume ??.

When you guys watch this at home I would be grateful for your feedback on the audio.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I had a friend over last night, and I couldn't think of a 3D movie to watch. He is really big into the Marvel films, so he suggested GOTG Vol. 2( he hadn't seen that one in 3D yet).
We got some snacks, soda, and fired it up.

Lots of fun. Lots of laughs. A great 3D feature shared with a friend I haven't hung out with in well over a year.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I had a friend over last night, and I couldn't think of a 3D movie to watch. He is really big into the Marvel films, so he suggested GOTG Vol. 2( he hadn't seen that one in 3D yet).
We got some snacks, soda, and fired it up.

Lots of fun. Lots of laughs. A great 3D feature shared with a friend I haven't hung out with in well over a year.

Nice one perfect!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well that's The Last Jedi watched, not a lot to say really except after reading comments on the movie itself and the 3D I was pleasantly surprised. Overall PQ was very good on my active system with the darkening glasses.
We found the 3D to have very nice sense of depth although very few pop out moments.
Both of us thought the film could of been 30 minutes shorter, in the last half hour I felt several times the end had come but on it went again.. I do wish movies were just a little shorter with gripping content.

Something I noticed was audio, DTS HD MA 7.1 yet I was not blown away, during what you would think should be bass heavy explosions/action scenes with gunfire etc punching through it was almost like the audio was compressed or lost volume ??.

When you guys watch this at home I would be grateful for your feedback on the audio.

Martin, when mine finally gets here, I'll see how it sounds. :3dglasses:

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY 3D with LENTICULAR FULL SLIP - Region A now taking pre-orders at Nova Media
$28.99 plus shipping

1281_shop2_218909.jpg

Update: Sold Out at Nova Media!

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

Well Martin, just played the first 10 minutes STAR WARS and what a lack luster SOUND EFFECTS! Just like you stated that there was hardly any volume and I was not about to turn mine up another 5-10 clicks just to enjoy it...:thumbsdown: Sometime this week I'll watch the whole movie.

...but, I did play TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION right afterwards and what great sound effects. That Dobly Atmos really played well on my setup!!!

The 3D on TAOE was almost perfect. 3D depth to the very back of the frame. Lots of stuff flying at you and debris, etc., coming out of the frame. The changing aspect ratios wasn't a problem. Yes, just a tad long :laugh: but the 3D sure brought you into the picture which made the film go by quickly.

Another great addition to my collection! :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The reason for the lower volume on the Last Jedi disc is likely due to the original theatrical mix being used on the disc, rather than a near-field remix for home theaters which is often provided on discs. This has a wider dynamic range (i.e. the range in volume from the very loudest sound to the very quietest sound is much greater). Because of this, the overall volume will need to be turned up to get the average volume at a level comparable to discs with near-field remixes.

This isn't a defect with the disc or the mix but likely just a choice to preserve what was originally heard in theaters.

It was the same story with the disc for The Force Awakens as well.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The trouble with upping the volume is then the voice volume goes up and then it hard to hear what's being said. That's not a win situation and it's also not a win situation having to adjust your volume controls in your AVR.

I'll have to go back and sample the last STAR WARS because I didn't notice that volume problem.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The trouble with upping the volume is then the voice volume goes up and then it hard to hear what's being said. That's not a win situation and it's also not a win situation having to adjust your volume controls in your AVR.

I'll have to go back and sample the last STAR WARS because I didn't notice that volume problem.
The voice volume goes up and is harder to hear? I don’t follow.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't know if your receiver has this option, but mine (from Onkyo) has an app that can be used to control it. On that app, it's very easy to adjust the volume of the center channel independently from the other speakers. It's very rare that I've had to use it, but the function exists. Even better, if you don't want to go back to the app to turn the volume down afterwards, all you have to do to reset the center channel back to the calibrated levels from the Audyssey setup is simply turn the machine off and back on.

Not sure that other brands would work exactly the same, but I have to imagine that these features aren't unique to Onkyo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    acinstallation240
    Recent bookmarks