What's new

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
My lg uh8500 led isn't half bad for 3d either. The opening credits for dial M seem like they are 5 feet in front of the screen. And no ghosting.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was kind of upset when LG pulled the plug on 3D. Now I'm thankful they did. I would have spent $3,500 for a feature I would never, ever use. My DLP projector for 3D is insane. Projectors are so easy to use, and better immersion for 3D(because of the massive image) that I'm surprised every 3D enthusiast doesn't own one....provided they can find the space.
They are cheap too.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/top-3d-projectors.htm

It is great that you have space and the budget to afford a front projection setup; however, many others do not have that luxury. Reading how happy someone is to supposedly save a few dollars by the dropping of a feature that others need to enjoy the content they have purchased is getting to be rather aggravating. Furthermore, dropping 3D support on OLED or any other television set has had a negligible effect in lowering the cost of a set.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It is great that you have space and the budget to afford a front projection setup; however, many others do not have that luxury. Reading how happy someone is to supposedly save a few dollars by the dropping of a feature that others need to enjoy the content they have purchased is getting to be rather aggravating. Furthermore, dropping 3D support on OLED or any other television set has had a negligible effect in lowering the cost of a set.

?

I was just suggesting an alternative to get 3D which is still available through projectors, on TV displays it is dead. Those that love 3D through their TV's, Rock on. Enjoy it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I was kind of upset when LG pulled the plug on 3D. Now I'm thankful they did. I would have spent $3,500 for a feature I would never, ever use. My DLP projector for 3D is insane. Projectors are so easy to use, and better immersion for 3D(because of the massive image) that I'm surprised every 3D enthusiast doesn't own one....provided they can find the space.
They are cheap too.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/top-3d-projectors.htm
Do you experience ANY crosstalk or ghosting with your projector?

If the answer is yes I’m not interested. If the answer is no then I am.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I personally do not.

The only discomfort I have ever experienced is from films that were not made well and where errors in how the 3D was originally created weren't fixed. (I.e. some vintage 80s titles that weren't well done at the time and weren't fixed for disc.) In those rare cases, it wouldn't matter what kind display I was watching on. But that's not a ghosting or crosstalk issue, that's a bad parallax issue.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
With a projector, my concerns are: Do you have to watch it in the dark, and can you watch regular broadcast TV?
Most of our TV viewing is regular television which I have PVRed. My wife is what you would call a casual viewer who is going through flyers, knitting, balancing credit card accounts etc. while she is glancing up from time to time (old time radio would work well for her!).
I watch all the 3D movies myself, and we rarely watch any movie at home together.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Projectors require light-controlled rooms for best performance. Generally, that means blacked out or very low ambient light. The conditions for home projection are not much different than for a commercial theatre.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At my place, I have a TV in the living room, as well as a projector. They're all connected to the same devices so anything I can watch on one, I can do on the other. A screen pulls down in front of the TV when I want to watch something on the projector, and then can be retracted when I'm done. My entire projection setup cost less than one of those UHD OLED screens.

But I tend to watch television shows on the TV, and save the projector for movies. There are a couple exceptions but generally I use projection only for films.

The projector works best in a dark room, but you can get away with using it in the day by adjusting the display mode (mine has a daytime preset). I find 3D works best in the dark but that 2D can be acceptable in daylight. Then again, that's how I would watch movies when I had only a TV. I just don't like watching movies when the lights are on, whether it's on a projector or TV.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I watched hundreds of hours of 3D content, and never noticed a trace of crosstalk, or ghosting.

Last edited:

vinnie7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
No. I have been impressed with OLED video quality very much. I have not seen the 3D from OLED,

A comparison isn't necessary for me because I can't go back to a 65" for 3D. DLP has fantastic 3D quality, and at 140" it is just so much more of a cinematic experience than watching it on a TV display.
So perfect 3D, on a 65", or great 3D at 140"? For me, the answer is easy.
I didn't have to "settle" for 65" since I was fortunate enough to nab a 77-incher. Of course, that's not 140" (and even passive 3D on UHD OLED isn't perfect since the distance/angle viewing requirements are pretty restrictive), but those 8 million "zones" and zero blacks contribute in their own right to the experience.

I also disagree with Blade Runner not benefiting from 3D. In fact, nearly every indoor scene (including those from the cockpit) benefitted greatly from stereoscopic vision. Hell, the conversion won a critical award for good reason. ;) Yes, the outdoor scenes with their heavy mist were more of a mixed bag.

vinnie7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Actually, and I don't know if you have it, but UP was a pretty subtle upgrade over its 2D rendering. BR2049 was 10 times more bombastic in the cockpit and in the opening indoor sequence of the movie to name but a few examples (and the dilapidated factory with the long railways and deep shadows = wowee!). I guess we'll agree to disagree. :P

I'm tempted by Planes but its plotline facsimile to Cars keeps me at bay.

Last edited:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
View attachment 44120
No verification yet.
The specification on the back cover states "Video: 16:9 Widescreen", which could include bar area.
The German 3D release aspect ratio @ 2.4:1
The French & the Dutch 3D aspect ratio @ 1.78:1

Thanks Paul, yes 16:9 is just a format so it still could be either, I'm hoping for 2.40:1 as to me there's to much missing info on the 1.78. I feel the reason we have not got access to an English audio version is because of the break up between studio canal and nWave.

Hopefully we get the next film 'The queens corgis' OK!.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Hey Martin, just watched Disney's PLANES and it had excellent 3D This movies was really made for it! So far, all my animated feature look great and really benefit from 3D...BR2049 didn't!

Hi john,

Yes planes and indeed planes 2 look very good in 3D, you know I love my animation and I watch the 3D version wherever I can as I feel it's made for 3D. There are some exceptions like the already mentioned Disneys 'UP', that title I prefer to veiw in 2D.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hey Martin, just watched Disney's PLANES and it had excellent 3D This movies was really made for it! So far, all my animated feature look great and really benefit from 3D...BR2049 didn't!
BR 2049 wasn’t animated. :D

Maybe something is wrong with your setup?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Yo Martin,
Watched another one of your animated favorites...DESPICABLE ME. Great 3D and they do give you a good time, especially during the end and the credits.

I turned up 3D brightness to HIGH and it made a huge difference, especially when I re-watched the beginning of BR2049, it made all the difference in the world...not as dark as it was when viewed last night.

Anyway, DESPICABLE ME 2 is up next and still have to order DESPICABLE ME 3 in 3D from the UK, the US is too damn expensive. I did get 3 2D for the grandkids.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yo Martin,
Watched another one of your animated favorites...DESPICABLE ME. Great 3D and they do give you a good time, especially during the end and the credits.

I turned up 3D brightness to HIGH and it made a huge difference, especially when I re-watched the beginning of BR2049, it made all the difference in the world...not as dark as it was when viewed last night.

Anyway, DESPICABLE ME 2 is up next and still have to order DESPICABLE ME 3 in 3D from the UK, the US is too damn expensive. I did get 3 2D for the grandkids.
So it was your set up then? Glad I was able to help. :D

Hey Martin
Hope you’re feeling better.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I had seen despicable me 2 in 2d a few times, before I got my 3d tv. It was just ok. It was one of the first discs I Tried out in 3d and not only is the 3d great, it actually made the film better. Much more fun.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Talking of 3D tv and 3D projection. I only chose to project my Blu-Rays and home made 3D/2D films as I've been projecting reel film at home for oh 50 years so it seemed natural to install a DLP rather than a TV plus its great to play some walk in music, break out the popcorn and dim the lights cinema style. All this sits happily with my film projection equipment and the all get along fine.;)

Upping the anti in recent years to project Classic 3D films looking so wonderful up on the screen has been a revelation for us but we still include projected film in with the video projection as well. All about the nostalgia I guess but certainly a wonderful time to enjoy the restored Classic 3D movies many of which we have never seen now how great is that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks