1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3D HTF TOP 30 MUST OWN 3D TITLES

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Really? Not sure what you saw in it that I didn't.

I don't require a 3D movie to give me incessant pop-out or gimmicks, but I just didn't think there was much in "Oz" that felt like I was watching "real 3D". Decent sense of depth and that was about it.

Good given the source material but I definitely encountered no visual revelations! :3dglasses:

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I loved Oz in 3D. I guess I had seen it SO many times (twice in the theater, many times on broadcast TV and home video) and had owned it in every possible home video permutation (including two VHS versions, two laserdisc versions including the incredible Ultimate Oz, DVD a time or two, and the huge Oz Blu-ray box and the 3D release) that seeing anything that gave me a different visual sensation was like a miracle. I LOVED the Witch pointing right at me with finger protruding from the screen and threatening Dorothy, and I was amazed at how all those flat painted backdrops took on a rounded and more palatable shapes in 3D.

I won't say I'll never look at the 2D again, but when I get an itch for Oz, lately it's been the 3D that has been loaded in the player.

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

You know, I have egg on my face.

I thought you meant the Disney movie with James Franco. THAT movie I hated, thought the conversion (if it was a conversion) looked great.

The 1939 film? I love it. Of course, I love it. And a damn good conversion. I did a huge review on it.

4. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    Have the same birth year!
    I remember seeing The Wizard of OZ for the first time, projected at a matinee.
    Must have been very young, because I remember being scared at times; and I also remember the surprise of Dorothy opening the door to the glorious world of color.

5. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    You guys are old! I'm still young, born in 1951. :)

Saw The Wizard of OZ on TV for the first time and always in B/W. Not until we bought a color TV did I see it in color and boy that was a surprise. :eek:

I have the Blu-ray 3D and the 3D was done very well.

OZ The Great and Powerful is an OK movie with great 3D. Love how the screen expands and changes from B/W to color.

Jimbo64 and Paul Hillenbrand like this.
  6. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I think Oz the Great and Powerful was filmed in 3D and was not a conversion. I think it's one of the best modern 3D films for its use of 3D (it and Hugo are my favorites). I liked the film much more than Ron, but I agree that it comes up short in lots of ways. Still, I always find pleasure watching it.

Interdimensional and Jimbo64 like this.
  7. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Due to several members talking about it and its bargain basement price, I bought Pixels and watched it in 3D this afternoon. The 3D was very enjoyable, and the transfer overall was quite stunning. And, much to my surprise, despite its awful reviews and lackluster box-office, it actually made me laugh a few times. I did roll my eyes that all these nerds with their less than winning personalities ended up with these stunning women as if a nice girl who shares their interest in gaming wouldn't be good enough; their women have to be supermodels. I guess when you're producing the movie, you and your pals can cast anyone you want as your love interests.

8. Colin Jacobson

I think "Oz the G&P" is a perfectly satisfactory "prequel" It's no classic but it's fun and clever - certainly more satisfying than the Broadway production of "Wicked" I saw!

Tino, TravisR and Josh Steinberg like this.
  9. Message #6709 of 7713 Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: OUT OF THE SHADOWS was, as I'm always saying, one of the best 3Ders out there. Plenty of everything because I liked the one from '14 so much...gotta love Megan. Plus it gives you Atmos!

Just made a list of 3ders that have Atmos that I still need to get. Hopefully to have my Atmos in by next week.

EVEREST; IN THE HEART OF THE SEA; MAD MAX; PAN; SAN ANDREAS; THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS; SING and SUICIDE SQUAD and. I already have the other 10, BATMAN V SUPERMAN; GHOST IN THE SHELL; LEGEND OF TARZAN; MINIONS; STAR TREK BEYOND; TERNIMATOR GENISYS; TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: OUT OF THE SHADOWS; TRANSFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT; WARCRAFT, THE GREAT WALL and JUSTICE LEAGUE (coming from BB in March not sure if it's on the 3D disc.)

Ashly Yeo and Josh Steinberg like this.
  10. Panman40

Panman40 Screenwriter

Martin Campbell
    Hi john, are you sure all those 3D titles have atmos ?.

11. Message #6711 of 7713 Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    John Sparks

John Sparks
  12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    The Great Wall 3D (region free) from the UK also has Dolby Atmos.

John Sparks likes this.
  13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    My first experience with Oz in 3-D was in an IMAX theater in which I had to drive about 45 miles from my home. I had a huge smile on my face throughout my viewing. I need to revisit it again in 3-D and will do so on my OLED for the first time.

Jimbo64 likes this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I think the 3-D was great too. I liked the film more than Ron as I've seen many, many worse films than Oz the Great and Powerful.

Jimbo64 likes this.
  15. Panman40

Panman40 Screenwriter

Martin Campbell
    John Sparks likes this.
  16. John Sparks

John Sparks
    Can't wait until tomorrow morning to see if I can do Atmos...maybe 5.1 2 or 7.1.2...we'll see.

Panman40 likes this.
  17. sleroi

sleroi Second Unit

Gavin Kopp
    Finally got around to watching Lego Batman 3d today.

When I saw it in the theater I thought there was a problem with the theaters settinhs because there were several shots that screamed pop out, but they started way back in the screen, (depth was great), and never broke the front of the screen.

I was very much looking forward to the blu ray to see the film how it was obviously designed to be.

Nope.

Same thing at home. There's a shot near the beginning of the batplane aimed directly towards the camera, moving forward. Great depth, but never broke the plane. Text was even with front of screen with action behind instead of floating text. Exploding Lego bricks start in screen and explode out to screen level, never beyond.

What a waste. So many shots in this film scream pop out, but it just isn't there.

And its A shame too, because the humor has grown on me, and its a lot funnier than I remember from first viewing. I would rather have this title in 4k, but I'm not double dipping.

Matt Hough and John Sparks like this.
  18. John Sparks

John Sparks
    Well, when I finally do buy that 3Der, I'll give my evaluation...to see how it compares with yours. :3dglasses:

19. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I felt the same way with Lego Batman in 3D. I had so looked forward to it, and while the film was marginally entertaining, the 3D was nothing to write home about.

20. Colin Jacobson

Yeah, I think the 3D for "Lego Batman" adds a little to the movie, but it's not great - which made it a disappointment after the excellent 3D of "Lego Movie"...