What's new

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have purchased all of the Marvel superhero films as they came out, and always 3D if available. I have found the 3D effect on each to actually be very good, although they tend to display vast depths rather than pop outs. The effect usually seems better at home, although I do see them in Imax when they first come out.

The only disappointment I have had in the theatre was when I had to see a movie in real3D. My experience with the new Blade Runner was that it was almost absolutely flat, and I know others have not had that experience.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There are still quite a few upcoming theatrical releases reported to be in 3D (list from BoxOfficeMojo). I'm not sure whether there is actual confirmation for these titles, or just guesses based on past experience with the studios and similar titles. Whether these make it onto 3D Blu is uncertain. I only coped the list thru 2018, but there are additional titles on the list farther out.

Deep Discount has also listed a few titles as 3D MOD (manufactured on demand). Maybe that's where it's heading?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=3d.htm

UPCOMING RELEASES
Title (click to view) Studio Release Date

The Meg WB 8/10/18
I wonder if the is the film version of Steve Alten's book about the megalodon (sp) shark, Meg. Odd they'd add a "The" to the title.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wonder if the is the film version of Steve Alten's book about the megalodon (sp) shark, Meg. Odd they'd add a "The" to the title.
Yep, that's the one. They just changed the title to add "The" a short while ago. Not sure why, unless there's conflict with another film (there is a short from 2007 and a film from 1926, both called Meg).

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
ARGENTO'S DRACULA...a beautiful 3D effort and a damn good movie to boot. The picture, especially the color, the 3D is much different than the 2D, at least thru my PJ and I don't know why...maybe my settings.

Martin, if you have this disc, what is your take? Also, had to use FAST in film processing because the wolves chasing the guy in the beginning had multiple images.

A really great addition to my collection. :3dglasses:

Last edited:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
ARGENTO'S DRACULA...a beautiful 3D effort and a damn good movie to boot. The picture, especially the color, the 3D is much different than the 2D, at least thru my PJ and I don't know why...maybe my settings.

Martin, if you have this disc, what is your take? Also, had to use FAST in film processing because the wolves chasing the guy in the beginning had multiple images.

A really great addition to my collection. :3dglasses:

Pretty sure I haven't got this title John, will check tonight. Yeah fast paced 3D motion isn't the best with active 3D on our projectors, I often forget to select fast if the need arises.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Pretty sure I haven't got this title John, will check tonight. Yeah fast paced 3D motion isn't the best with active 3D on our projectors, I often forget to select fast if the need arises.

Fast-paced (which for contemporary films I refer to as "staccato" editing) is anathema to 3D. That's one of the reasons why the TRANSFORMER movies don't work well in 3D (aside from the fact that they are directed by a nearly talentless egomaniac...flame barriers in place). The human brain needs a few microseconds to process any short film cuts, but when it comes to 3D, that need increases several times over. One's eyes/brain need to have a tiny bit of time to adjust to perspectives and depth. 3D should never be cut the way that 2D action films are today. The result can be disorienting at best, and headache-inducing (which killed 3D in the earlier days) at worst.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Fast-paced (which for contemporary films I refer to as "staccato" editing) is anathema to 3D. That's one of the reasons why the TRANSFORMER movies don't work well in 3D (aside from the fact that they are directed by a nearly talentless egomaniac...flame barriers in place). The human brain needs a few microseconds to process any short film cuts, but when it comes to 3D, that need increases several times over. One's eyes/brain need to have a tiny bit of time to adjust to perspectives and depth. 3D should never be cut the way that 2D action films are today. The result can be disorienting at best, and headache-inducing (which killed 3D in the earlier days) at worst.

To be honest I've found it to be Active 3D that does this, the L&R lens syncing just gets out of its depth with rapid motion, Infact if I look at my open fire flames with my glasses on its the same effect.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

Thanks for the explanation Dick. This is the first time I've had to use it after viewing 93 3D movies,

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just to clarify: the headache-inducing 3-D in the Golden Age was the result of bad projection and not cinematography.

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/what-killed-3D

As for the 50's and 60's 3D releases, I completely agree. I am speaking of the current and recent spate of 3-D titles (many of them post-converted). Not bad projection...bad editing in the originals.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
As for the 50's and 60's 3D releases, I completely agree. I am speaking of the current and recent spate of 3-D titles (many of them post-converted). Not bad projection...bad editing in the originals.

Maybe if active 3D could keep up with faced paced motion we would not have this issue.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Maybe if active 3D could keep up with faced paced motion we would not have this issue.

I don't think it would matter. Our (sorrowfully) limited brains just can't cope with a lot of what is thrown at us in theaters when it comes to 3D. Directors love quick edits, It does speed the pace. But also, it can screw the viewer.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Dunno. I now have a passive LG, having given up my active Panny plasma. All I know is that a decent passive kicks ass, but the active was hit-or-miss.

Yeah the E6 LG's really nailed 3D, just a shame they dropped it along with other manufacturers and the screen size was just 65". I went to demo one before upgrading my PJ thinking I might ditch projection but as soon as I saw it hanging on the wall I was like .. Nah that's just to small. Maybe we can look forwRd to a 3D comeback with 100" plus screens at affordable prices :thumbs-up-smiley:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I have had zero trouble with my active display projector. I find it infinitely more comfortable to view titles on there than on passive methods like linear polarization (IMAX film and digital), circular polarization (RealD), and the Dolby color system (Dolby Cinema and IMAX Laser).

There's a certain amount of brain trickery that goes on with any type of 3D presentation, which means that everyone's mileage will vary on what looks best to their own eyes, but I think active gets a bunch of criticism that it doesn't necessarily warrant.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony

Dunno. I now have a passive LG, having given up my active Panny plasma. All I know is that a decent passive kicks ass, but the active was hit-or-miss.

I have had zero trouble with my active display projector. I find it infinitely more comfortable to view titles on there than on passive methods like linear polarization (IMAX film and digital), circular polarization (RealD), and the Dolby color system (Dolby Cinema and IMAX Laser).

There's a certain amount of brain trickery that goes on with any type of 3D presentation, which means that everyone's mileage will vary on what looks best to their own eyes, but I think active gets a bunch of criticism that it doesn't necessarily warrant.

I agree with Josh that active panels unfairly received the brunt of criticism. For me, there was a noticeable reduction in image quality with pre-4K passive panels. It was almost bad enough that I was willing to accept some ghosting and flicker that was commonly inherent in inferior active LCD panels. Fast forward, I feel lucky to have nabbed what I believe is the culmination of years of R&D by Sony in FALD display technology that supported 3-D.

3-D almost always looks fantastic on my "active" 75" Sony 940C UHDTV. I never see blurring and only rarely ghosting (almost always source related). The only time I see flicker is when there is ambient light within the viewing space.

vinnie7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
There are still quite a few upcoming theatrical releases reported to be in 3D (list from BoxOfficeMojo). I'm not sure whether there is actual confirmation for these titles, or just guesses based on past experience with the studios and similar titles. Whether these make it onto 3D Blu is uncertain. I only coped the list thru 2018, but there are additional titles on the list farther out.

Deep Discount has also listed a few titles as 3D MOD (manufactured on demand). Maybe that's where it's heading?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=3d.htm

UPCOMING RELEASES
Title (click to view) Studio Release Date
Thor: Ragnarok BV 11/3/17
The Star Sony 11/17/17
Justice League WB 11/17/17
Coco BV 11/22/17
Ferdinand Fox 12/15/17
Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV 12/15/17
Black Panther BV 2/16/18
A Wrinkle in Time BV 3/9/18
Tomb Raider WB 3/16/18
Pacific Rim Uprising Uni. 3/23/18
Rampage WB (NL) 4/20/18
Avengers: Infinity War BV 5/4/18
Hotel Transylvania 3 Sony 7/13/18
The Meg WB 8/10/18
Jungle Book: Origins WB 10/19/18
Mulan (Live Action) BV 11/2/18
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms BV 11/2/18
Untitled Fantastic Beasts Sequel WB 11/16/18
Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 BV 11/21/18
Animated Spider-Man Sony 12/14/18
Aquaman WB 12/21/18
Well, it will be interesting to see what all hits the home entertainment market. Is there anything else due this holiday season after the Apes? I still have the latest Pirates and Wonder Woman inbound, so it may almost be time to start gathering older releases and classics I've missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks