What's new

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure, your a lot better than me at that kind of thing!. If it wasn't such a hassle ( cabling etc) I think I would pick up a cheap DLP for 3D, just to much hassle though. I remember my Optoma DLP was ghosting free. A few owners including Bob Furmanek have swapped out their epsons and had good luck getting units without ghosting.
Yes, it can be pot luck with projectors sometimes, it’s about milliseconds vs microseconds, it’s all in the reflexes (copyright Jack Burton)

Get the DLP, it’s worth the hassle, zero ghosting 3D.

P.S. yes I can lend you the disc.

I also had another look for Halloween, seems like the version I am after is sold out unless Mr Cundey supervised more than one version as he did with The Thing, I am also after a version of Halloween 2 with the film grain left intact and not too much sharpening applied, I see a Universal release but they always worry me, it’s hit and miss with Universal back catalog.

Last edited:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Yes, it can be pot luck with projectors sometimes, it’s about milliseconds vs microseconds, it’s all in the reflexes (copyright Jack Burton)

Get the DLP, it’s worth the hassle, zero ghosting 3D.

P.S. yes I can lend you the disc.

I also had another look for Halloween, seems like the version I am after is sold out unless Mr Cundey supervised more than one version as he did with The Thing, I am also after a version of Halloween 2 with the film grain left intact and not too much sharpening applied, I see a Universal release but they always worry me, it’s hit and miss with Universal back catalog.

If the new Optoma uhd65 had been 3D capable I would have seriously demoed it, I see new and very expensive DLPs from benq also but I don't think they are 3D either. Such a shame.
I'm
Cheers for the loan, that's great thanks. Talking of film grain the 4K upscaling of my player to the Epson last night with scream was like bee swarm, forced 1080p and all was well.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Yep it worked out about £40 shipped here but we've watched it a number of times so good value. I tend to keep in mind its £18 for us both to go to the flicks now and we will never see the classic 3D's locally so they are worth the investment to project at home along with the supreme nostalgia.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If the new Optoma uhd65 had been 3D capable I would have seriously demoed it, I see new and very expensive DLPs from benq also but I don't think they are 3D either. Such a shame.
I'm
Cheers for the loan, that's great thanks. Talking of film grain the 4K upscaling of my player to the Epson last night with scream was like bee swarm, forced 1080p and all was well.
Nah you do not want an Optoma UHD until they fix the 24fps issue, it can only playback films using pulldown at 60fps, major issue.

Regarding Scream, that’s a weird issue because it’s also using a pretty dated and old master that was made for the dvd era and grain has been scrubbed, also has edge enhancement in places, night scenes will reduce visibility of this, all in all its a processed looking and not natural film like image, surprised you thought it excellent.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
My 3D Benq has given sterling service thus far and so have been happy with the DLP box of tricks. I think they list around 11 models that can do 3D but not so sure any of them will be UHD. It must be a bit of a grey area perhaps with the UHD media sort of skipping on 3D inclusion within the packing?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have not been too well, brain issues ( depression ) that needed sorting, that is fine but since then I have bad nerve damage, that’s either because of high sugar or disc compression in my back, need a scan to know for sure although I am on medication for the sugar, metformin is great.

Probably too much info for public forum but it’s not that personal, I do not mind sharing, now where’s the medicine forum lol

I missed reading this forum and the Robert Harris reviews.

My Gosh...it's Malcolm! Welcome back. Hope you get your medical issues sorted out. We want you around.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Nah you do not want an Optoma UHD until they fix the 24fps issue, it can only playback films using pulldown at 60fps, major issue.

Regarding Scream, that’s a weird issue because it’s also using a pretty dated and old master that was made for the dvd era and grain has been scrubbed, also has edge enhancement in places, night scenes will reduce visibility of this, all in all its a processed looking and not natural film like image, surprised you thought it excellent.

I didn't know that, soon as I heard no 3D on the latest DLPs I didn't bother reading reviews etc.
Strange, I think the combination of player upscaling plus PJ upscaling creates this grain in older films, as you know I'm not totally appalled by a tad of processing or sharpness lol.
Scream 2 tonight.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Is it just me getting a bit fed up of these long drawn out movies were seeing now ?, I liked the first transformers movie and I own the rest of them but this latest one The last knight is 3 hrs long I hear and pretty crap to boot, the only reason I can see me purchasing is purely because I have the rest. I sold Thor 1&2 3D because we didn't enjoy the 2nd film, Infact if memory serves we didn't make the end of it, the new film Ragnarok looks quite stunning on the trailers I've seen but that's 2hrs10mins duration.

To be honest I would rather watch 2 good 90-100 minute films in a row than one long drawn out boring one.

There are a few exceptions but not these full on repetitive action for actions sake type of film.

vinnie7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
I dumped the old Transformer movies because of 1) Shia Labouf and 2) the inanity and stupidity of the sequel (robot scrotum, really? humping robot, really? the urban robot pair was also ridiculously patronizing). The newest is a fun ride if a little convoluted. It's still immature but not as annoying as the sequel, and I don't have to watch the mental case that is Shia Labeouf.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
I dumped the old Transformer movies because of 1) Shia Labouf and 2) the inanity and stupidity of the sequel (robot scrotum, really? humping robot, really? the urban robot pair was also ridiculously patronizing). The newest is a fun ride if a little convoluted. It's still immature but not as annoying as the sequel, and I don't have to watch the mental case that is Shia Labeouf.

Hmm. The bathroom humor throughout the the franchise typically succeeds in making us laugh. To each is own I guess. Seems like Shia has inadvertently broken his mantra and "divide[d] us". :rolling-smiley:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Watched GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY yesterday and really enjoyed the 3D. Especially when the 3D came out of the 2.35:1 frame into the black border.

I didn't realize how much this movie kept changing sizes. Didn't notice it when I watched it in 2D.

Next will be Vol.2, another one of those sequels that really didn't need to be made. :3dglasses:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me getting a bit fed up of these long drawn out movies were seeing now ?, I liked the first transformers movie and I own the rest of them but this latest one The last knight is 3 hrs long I hear and pretty crap to boot,

"Transformers: Last Knight" isn't 3 hours long - it's about 2 and a half hours.

It's not even the longest of the 5 - "Age of Extinction" is longest.

The first film is shortest at 143 minutes, and as noted, "AoE" is longest. The other 3 are all in the 150-minute range...

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Watched GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY yesterday and really enjoyed the 3D. Especially when the 3D came out of the 2.35:1 frame into the black border.

I didn't realize how much this movie kept changing sizes. Didn't notice it when I watched it in 2D.

Next will be Vol.2, another one of those sequels that really didn't need to be made. :3dglasses:

We really enjoyed the first film John especially on a 2nd veiwing, gotg2 is ok and worth the watch but we preferred the first film. :cheers:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I think there are going to have to be some Blu rays I buy to complete my collection, but never watch as stupid as that sounds.

Recently I seem to be watching extras, and listening to commentary in the back ground while I do other things, and then having to force myself later to actually watch the movie. Thank goodness for 3D enlivening the process. This has been true of the Transformer movies. One watch in the theatre was certainly enough.

I find that is also true of the two “Walking Dead” franchises, now that my wife has decided not to watch anymore, due to Negan.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
"Transformers: Last Knight" isn't 3 hours long - it's about 2 and a half hours.

It's not even the longest of the 5 - "Age of Extinction" is longest.

The first film is shortest at 143 minutes, and as noted, "AoE" is longest. The other 3 are all in the 150-minute range...

Well after 2 1/2 hrs I guess it doesn't make a lot of difference.. Still to long though.

I do remember AOE dragging on somewhat but pretty sure I watched that on the TV which is a lot easier when you get bored!.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    acinstallation240
    Recent bookmarks