What's new

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
IMG_0806.JPG

Yes, I can't wait to get this. Lol, I like the name change:)

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Picked up SANCTUM 3D with some interesting extra material in a shop sale £1.99
Really liked the film and those low angle water shots which always thrill in 3D, probably as near diving as I will ever get and looked awesome on our large projected screen.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just watched WAR OF THE WORLDS-GOLIATH and I found that it had great 3D. It was animated, with some CG scenes but over all a good story line, good voices and a great addition to your 3D collection! :3dglasses:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Watched the 3D conversion of The Nightmare Before Christmas yesterday and came away mildly disappointed. The leaps and bounds in conversion technology in the past few years are readily apparent, as some scenes [most obviously, the cemetery scene towards the end] come across as mostly flat. This couldn't have been an easy conversion to do, even with current technology, as there are deliberate choices of soft and hazy photography, which make 3D level placement difficult.

My next 3D title to watch is Wonder Woman. Looking forward to it.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Which technology do you think is more of a gimmick, HDR or 3D?
The following was posted on a another thread and took me by surprise.

"nothing is more gimmicky than HDR which actually alters the movie in many ways from filmmaker's intent. 3D adds depth but it doesn't change color timing. And if you think 3D is darkening (it really isn't, when seen properly) HDR is even worse, darkening it to the point of even obscuring some images. As Robert Harris has said "UHD is not about accuracy, it's about being noticed." To me, that is not "higher quality", although I know some may see it that way. (Though not when I have guests who ask me not to use that "thing that makes the movie look fake." Not the most tech-oriented group but hey, they represent the majority."

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Which technology do you think is more of a gimmick, HDR or 3D?
The following was posted on a another thread and took me by surprise.

"nothing is more gimmicky than HDR which actually alters the movie in many ways from filmmaker's intent. 3D adds depth but it doesn't change color timing. And if you think 3D is darkening (it really isn't, when seen properly) HDR is even worse, darkening it to the point of even obscuring some images. As Robert Harris has said "UHD is not about accuracy, it's about being noticed." To me, that is not "higher quality", although I know some may see it that way. (Though not when I have guests who ask me not to use that "thing that makes the movie look fake." Not the most tech-oriented group but hey, they represent the majority."
I don’t agree with that persons opinion at all and don’t think either is a gimmick.

HDR when applied correctly looks stunning. Even Mr Harris has said so. Especially on my OLED TV.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think HDR is great for UHD movies. Video games that use it though, well lets just say I think HDR on video games is a disaster. Luckily I can turn it off on my PS4.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
Watched the 3D conversion of The Nightmare Before Christmas yesterday and came away mildly disappointed. The leaps and bounds in conversion technology in the past few years are readily apparent, as some scenes [most obviously, the cemetery scene towards the end] come across as mostly flat. This couldn't have been an easy conversion to do, even with current technology, as there are deliberate choices of soft and hazy photography, which make 3D level placement difficult.

I agree. What's somewhat frustrating is to watch the clip of Nightmare BC from the "Disney Digital 3-D . . . Showcase Disc" (available on eBay). The 3-D image in the clip is much more layered and convincing than what appears in the feature length version. IMO, this suggests a decision to crank it up for the Showcase disc thus evidencing a realization by the Studio that its (and ILM's) post-conversion was too conservative.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Hi Paul. 3D has never been a gimmick for me at least, if used creatively it can add a great deal for the viewer and certainly when we have pretty much perfect projection now not having the complication of two film projectors locked together also coping with splices in films. 3D home projection here is a welcome addition particularly with regard to the 50's 3D movies.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
I think HDR is great for UHD movies. Video games that use it though, well lets just say I think HDR on video games is a disaster. Luckily I can turn it off on my PS4.

HDR has been great for most movies. Planet Earth II, Sicario and Blade Runner look good with it while Goodfellas does not.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I agree. What's somewhat frustrating is to watch the clip of Nightmare BC from the "Disney Digital 3-D . . . Showcase Disc" (available on eBay). The 3-D image in the clip is much more layered and convincing than what appears in the feature length version. IMO, this suggests a decision to crank it up for the Showcase disc thus evidencing a realization by the Studio that its (and ILM's) post-conversion was too conservative.

I also have the Showcase Disc and noticed that the NBC 3D clip does look pretty good. Too bad it's not the same on the actual movie or I would have bought it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
HDR has been great for most movies. Planet Earth II, Sicario and Blade Runner look good with it while Goodfellas does not.
HDR is a tool which, if used judiciously, can bring a film closer to the original intent of the artists involved. If used as a blunt instrument, it's disastrous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    acinstallation240
    Recent bookmarks