What's new

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Neural X is the current flavour of what was previously known as DTS: Neo X. It attempts to create object based surround from non DTS: X tracks. Similarly, the current flavour of Dolby Surround, from the previous iteration of ProLogic IIz, is now simply known as Dolby Surround and attempts to create a 5.1.2 (or however many height channels and back channels you have, in some cases up to 7.1.4) from non-Atmos tracks. I've found it quite effective on tracks that were originally mixed for either DTS: X or Atmos, but YMMV on other tracks.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I just received my 3D copy of the live action Beauty and The Beast from Amazon.uk. here in Canada. The good news is I tried both discs in our PS3, and they are region free. The bad news is I don't think I will be ordering from them again.

I recently purchased the complete Blu ray sets of "Star Trek TNG" and "Star Trek Voyager" from Britain and they arrived promptly and with no problems at all play beautifully.

When I contemplated buying BATB 3D, I calculated the cost, and even with £3.00 postage it was very close to what I would pay here if it were available. I e-mailed Amazon.uk, and they assured me they were region free discs, so I ordered.

I tracked my package and it seemed to be making very quick progress. To my surprise, it went from Britain, to Kentucky and through the USA before arriving at our local airport for customs inspection.

UPS arrived at my door, and would not give the Blu Rays to me until I forked over $15.00! When I called UPS (the most expensive way in Canada to ever send a parcel), they told me that $6.00 was for tax and duty and $9.00 was for something called "brokerage fee".
:wacko::wacko::wacko:!!?

I guess I was lucky with the Star Trek purchases and I can't gripe about tax and duty, but feel totally ripped off by UPS. I don't know why Amazon chose to use this service which is notoriously expensive here. I was in no rush, and would not mind waiting a month for the discs to arrive on a coal barge! Also, the box they used for one Blu ray set, could very easily fit say two boxes of shoes men's sized 13, or possibly one Syrian refugee. No wonder customs wanted to look at it!

The finish of the story is that I contacted Amazon.uk, and they agreed to refund the $9.00 and look into the matter. Because of this I may try an order one more time.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just received my 3D copy of the live action Beauty and The Beast from Amazon.uk. here in Canada. The good news is I tried both discs in our PS3, and they are region free. The bad news is I don't think I will be ordering from them again.

I recently purchased the complete Blu ray sets of "Star Trek TNG" and "Star Trek Voyager" from Britain and they arrived promptly and with no problems at all play beautifully.

When I contemplated buying BATB 3D, I calculated the cost, and even with £3.00 postage it was very close to what I would pay here if it were available. I e-mailed Amazon.uk, and they assured me they were region free discs, so I ordered.

I tracked my package and it seemed to be making very quick progress. To my surprise, it went from Britain, to Kentucky and through the USA before arriving at our local airport for customs inspection.

UPS arrived at my door, and would not give the Blu Rays to me until I forked over $15.00! When I called UPS (the most expensive way in Canada to ever send a parcel), they told me that $6.00 was for tax and duty and $9.00 was for something called "brokerage fee".

I guess I was lucky with the Star Trek purchases and I can't gripe about tax and duty, but feel totally ripped off by UPS. I don't know why Amazon chose to use this service which is notoriously expensive here. I was in no rush, and would not mind waiting a month for the discs to arrive on a coal barge! Also, the box they used for one Blu ray set, could very easily fit say two boxes of shoes men's sized 13, or possibly one Syrian refugee. No wonder customs wanted to look at it!

The finish of the story is that I contacted Amazon.uk, and they agreed to refund the $9.00 and look into the matter. Because of this I may try an order one more time.
Wow. I've ordered from Amazon UK and never had a charge like that, but I'm in the US and you'r in Canada. I'd definitely be protesting that with Amazon. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Strange. I've ordered from amazon.co.uk multiple times and have never been subjected to "brokerage fees" or duty. Mine have also always come via Canada Post. UPS gets skeevy with cross-border stuff.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
After collecting my Kong Skull Island BR steelbook I plucked up courage to open it and we watched last night finding it quite a amazing view.
Threw our largest 3D picture 10ft and it was a pretty awesome view we found, also particularly enjoyed the little nods to the original Kong classic including the chains sequence. For me the 3D steelbook was worth every penny and very repeatable available from HMV.
Barcode: 5051892209182 £22.99

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'd be interesting in seeing a list of the references to the original. Both times (theater and home) we've watched it, we've gotten to absorbed to notice them. I wouldn't have considered the chains sequence one of them, since the situations are quite different.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. Didn't notice any nods to the original Kong. Maybe the chains but thats pushing it. Or maybe I just didn't care enough to notice. I'd be interested in a list too for curiosities sake.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw got my BATB 3D import from the UK. It will be my first 3D viewing as my IMAX screening was 2D.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Btw got my BATB 3D import from the UK.

Mine arrived, but damaged - actually never received a package like this before. I ordered this and Need For Speed 3D from the UK, and they came in a cardboard Amazon box, the bottom of which was missing, and the rest was crushed. The contents were also damp; it appears the entire package got soaked at some point, as the slipcase was still wet. All of this was inside a plastic bag from the USPS telling me how much they care about me and how sorry they are that the package arrived damaged.

I decided rather than opening the shrinkwrap (and for all I know, the disc is probably fine underneath) to email Amazon.uk, and they agreed to send a replacement - they didn't even need to see a photo of the damage. Waiting to see if they want me to return the originals, which I assume they will.

So hopefully I'll see it soon!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Mine arrived, but damaged - actually never received a package like this before. I ordered this and Need For Speed 3D from the UK, and they came in a cardboard Amazon box, the bottom of which was missing, and the rest was crushed. The contents were also damp; it appears the entire package got soaked at some point, as the slipcase was still wet. All of this was inside a plastic bag from the USPS telling me how much they care about me and how sorry they are that the package arrived damaged.

I decided rather than opening the shrinkwrap (and for all I know, the disc is probably fine underneath) to email Amazon.uk, and they agreed to send a replacement - they didn't even need to see a photo of the damage. Waiting to see if they want me to return the originals, which I assume they will.

Ages ago, I ordered Ben Hur (original from UK Amazon). 2 weeks after it was supposed to arrive they shipped a replacement. Couple days later, the first shipment arrived. I informed them and they thanked me for my honesty and said to keep both.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
My Beauty and the Beast 3D arrived today from Amazon UK in an oversized box stuffed with brown paper. This order was sent via Royal Mail rather than the dreaded Asendia.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell

Just at the moment Amazon uk packaging isn't that great, I've noticed it since I became a prime member and deliveries are next day. HMV have much better packaging. When it comes to customer service I can't fault Amazon though.

A couple of times I have had damaged items from amazon us and no quibbles in replacing them but they didn't want the originals back.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just watched Ghost In The Shell 3D. Looked great. Decent depth and even some pop out.:thumbsup:

I wasn't wild about the 3D "Ghost". From my review:

"In terms of quality, the 3D edition largely matched up with its 2D counterpart, but I noticed occasional instances of softness in the stereo presentation. These weren’t major, but they added a sporadic tentative impression during the 3D transfer.

As for the 3D imaging itself, Ghost tended toward something of a “pop-up book” feel. While it gave us pretty good depth, it didn’t always integrate characters and motion in an especially smooth manner. Though I thought this was a more than acceptable presentation, I’d recommend the 2D image as the superior rendition of the film. "

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I wasn't wild about the 3D "Ghost". From my review:

"In terms of quality, the 3D edition largely matched up with its 2D counterpart, but I noticed occasional instances of softness in the stereo presentation. These weren’t major, but they added a sporadic tentative impression during the 3D transfer.

As for the 3D imaging itself, Ghost tended toward something of a “pop-up book” feel. While it gave us pretty good depth, it didn’t always integrate characters and motion in an especially smooth manner. Though I thought this was a more than acceptable presentation, I’d recommend the 2D image as the superior rendition of the film. "
Sounds like the softness is coming from how your 3D setup resolves the two image detail.

My experience is that Ghost In the Shell 3D detail is clearly defined where I don't see a difference in sharpness when comparing the 3D images on my discrete 3D HMD & then playing the 2D version. The 3D also resolves as distinct 1080P detail on my LG E6P.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks