What's new

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I saw zero technical issues with the 3D on my LG OLED.

The conversion itself is mostly mediocre except for the third act when the 3D is more immersive.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
That's exactly what I heard theatrically and from numerous online reviews of the Blu-ray.

A total waste of upconversion.

I am not in a hurry to watch it, though for some stupid reason, I paid Express fees to get it on release day. :(

I should have gone with my gut instinct and saved money with the standard blu Ray.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I would always feel I was missing something. I know that whenever I have found a bargain basement priced flat version of a 3D movie it had always made me double dip. The only one I have now is "The Lego Movie" and I am constantly looking for a 3D replacement in the sales bins.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The conversion itself is mostly mediocre except for the third act when the 3D is more immersive.

I would agree with that assessment for Rogue One. I think part of the issue is that good conversions take time, and with all of the late reshoots, there simply wasn't enough time to convert all of that footage with the degree of depth and separation that the conversion for The Force Awakens had. But having seen it in 3D, I can't imagine ever watching the 2D version.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Put on ROGUE ONE 3D tonight and it's the worst 3D I have seen...bummer!
Sorry to hear about your bad 3D experience.:(

When watching Rogue One 3D on my OLED 65" 3D passive UHD, I get a very satisfying experience.

The display fully resolves the 3D's high definition detail for an outstanding eye-focusing fusion experience.
The movie has consistent dimensional environments that evoke both object spacial separation and noticeable terrestrial distances. No complaints here as I was very comfortable with the 3D.:3dglasses:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sorry to hear about your bad 3D experience.:(

When watching Rogue One 3D on my OLED 65" 3D passive UHD, I get a very satisfying experience.

The display fully resolves the 3D's high definition detail for an outstanding eye-focusing fusion experience.
The movie has consistent dimensional environments that evoke both object spacial separation and noticeable terrestrial distances. No complaints here as I was very comfortable with the 3D.:3dglasses:
That was my experience with this title and my OLEDE6P.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
(I am retired. What do people do who still work? How do they find time to watch all this stuff?)
Boy can I get off topic or what? Oh my God I think I am turning into another of those boring flatulent windbag old men like my father!
I welcome you to the Old Farts Club. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I am retired. What do people do who still work? How do they find time to watch all this stuff?

You know, I'm kinda surprised that I haven't seen that question being posed before in a thread here, or if I had, I've forgotten it.

My employer has me working four ten-hour shifts per week instead of five eight-hour shifts. My wife works five eight-hour shifts per week. This means that nearly every week, I will get a day where I have the house to myself for a good portion. My work hours tend to be later in the day and evening; hers tend to be in the morning and afternoon, or early evening at the latest on most days. So on some nights, when I get home from work, she's got to be getting ready for bed and we just have time to watch a sitcom, and then I'll watch a movie after she's asleep. Or I'll come home from work and we'll watch a movie together before she goes to bed, and then I'll watch a second one while she's sleeping. I find that just getting a couple hours to watch a movie at home isn't necessarily the hard part - the hard part is if there's a movie my wife and I want to watch together, sometimes it can take up to a week to have that block of time.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Perhaps "budget" was the wrong choice of word on my part :) But my basic question is the same, how would you design a single lens projector to provide passive projection? There'd need be an active element in it somewhere; you'd need to shift it from being in the glasses to being in the lens. You could go with a RealD-type system of circular polarization, but then the customer will need to have a very expensive silver screen installed. You could go with the Dolby-type system that can use a white screen, but the color filters it uses (not to mention the glasses) are ridiculously expensive too. Believe me, I'd absolutely love to have passive 3D at home on a projector - but I don't see a way to accomplish that on a consumer budget.

Full disclosure: I have the Epson 5030 projector, and it has phenomenal 3D quality that far exceeds what my active plasma TV could do with 3D. My wife finds it more comfortable to watch 3D on our projector than at RealD and IMAX 3D screenings in theaters. The Epson 6040 is the essentially same projector as the Epson 5040, which is the next model made after mine. It seems crazy that the 3D quality would decrease so drastically in one product cycle. Is there a chance you might have a defective unit?

Josh,

My friend has a 5010 and it shows 3D PERFECT! And yes, the 5040 is the 6040 but with less crap with it, hence the $1000 difference in price.

I don't know what happened with the 5040/6040...but the 3D is the SHITS!!! If it wasn't for the 3D DEPTH, you couldn't watch any 3D.

Tomorrow I will call Epson and see if they are working on a fix...but like any company, when you tell them of the problem, you are the first person that complained. Went thru that BS with GM on my Corvette!!!...BASTARDS!!!

GOD BLESS THE INTERNET and those that use it to enhance our lives!!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tomorrow I will call Epson and see if they are working on a fix...but like any company, when you tell them of the problem, you are the first person that complained. Went thru that BS with GM on my Corvette!!!...BASTARDS!!!

For what it's worth, years ago, I had an issue with Epson concerning an SD projector I had bought. When I wasn't getting the response I wanted from local customer service, I looked up the name and corporate address for the CEO and wrote directly to him. I think a week later, I had a phone call from a very nice lady working out of his office who was able to cut through all of the red tape and resolve my issue. Granted, that wasn't quite a technical problem so the fix may take more time, but if you've got the time to do so, it might be worth sending a letter to the CEO. I would tell them what you just told me, that your friend had a 5010 and you loved the 3D on there, so when it was time for you to buy a projector, you also got an Epson, and couldn't believe that the newer model was inferior to the older one.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Thanks Josh for the suggestion! But we need to unendate (sp) Epson San Pedro to tell them of our problem. Enough voice, hopefully they will actually hear us...GM did!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I doubt a calibration will do anything for 3D crosstalk, unless you have glasses brightness on high. What's bothering me more is inconsistent greyscale so I'm hoping for an improvement with that when I get around to it.

If you have not already, try setting your t.v. for 24 fps. I did this with my Panny plasma (your what?) and the 3D crosstalk problem (especially on DIAL M) was cut in half.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I saw zero technical issues with the 3D on my LG OLED.

I've not yet watched my 3D Blu, but I only left the theatrical Real 3D showing satisfied after having sat through a disappointing first half. As you say, Tino, the second half offers much better 3D, which I assume will be true of the video release.

Now that the first of the "Star Wars Story" titles has come out, in addition to the first of the new series prequel/sequels, a precedent has been set for 3D video releases which I hope will mean future releases continue to be offered this way, even as studio interest in the format wanes.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Am I correct in that there is no 3-D release of Ghost in the Shell planned for the States?

That's correct. It appears that UHD and 2D BD versions are available. A 3D version is currently available for preorder in the UK, but I wonder if it's just a phantom listing that will disappear when the official press release comes out.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
As a important part of 3D history I would add The Stewardesses 3D BR to the list as it contains the Experiments in Love '77 short in which the first 9 minutes goes into great length to explain roughly how to film 3D also showing a couple of cameras. Its another side of the industry 3D was used for and back then even I can remember posters for the main feature being up in the city. I was surprised at the quality of this release with some good 3D effects including a pole and sparklers coming out of the screen. Other than that I think my blood pressure has now just about stabilised :)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
That's correct. It appears that UHD and 2D BD versions are available. A 3D version is currently available for preorder in the UK, but I wonder if it's just a phantom listing that will disappear when the official press release comes out.

No! The 3D presentation was fantastic with lots of depth AND pop-out. It truly enhanced the experience. This really upsets me. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks