Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Had it ISFed today...looks beautiful. No, the 3D ghosting/crosstalk is inherent to the Epson 6040. Epson will have to somehow sent out a firmware or do something to fix it. Of course, Passive is perfect, but Epson and others knew this but still went with Active!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Had it ISFed today...looks beautiful. No, the 3D ghosting/crosstalk is inherent to the Epson 6040. Epson will have to somehow sent out a firmware or do something to fix it. Of course, Passive is perfect, but Epson and others knew this but still went with Active!

How would you suggest a budget single lens projector handle 3D? I'd love passive home 3D with a single projector but I don't think it's in the cards anytime soon.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Put on ROGUE ONE 3D tonight and it's the worst 3D I have seen...bummer!

Shame it's not working out for you, i see ghosting on my tw9300w but I'm sure it's not as bad as what your seeing, passive for hone projectors is very unlikely, let me know what Epson are saying if you don't mind.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Put on ROGUE ONE 3D tonight and it's the worst 3D I have seen...bummer!

That's exactly what I heard theatrically and from numerous online reviews of the Blu-ray.

A total waste of upconversion.

I am not in a hurry to watch it, though for some stupid reason, I paid Express fees to get it on release day. :(

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's exactly what I heard theatrically and from numerous online reviews of the Blu-ray.

A total waste of upconversion.

I am not in a hurry to watch it, though for some stupid reason, I paid Express fees to get it on release day. :(
It's not that bad Ron. It might look fine on your setup as John is having some serious 3-D issues with his Epson.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's not that bad Ron. It might look fine on your setup as John is having some serious 3-D issues with his Epson.

And, I'll be the first to admit, I haven't seen the 3D theatrically or in the home.

However, I have read more than enough reviews that say the 3D wasn't that good.

Of course, I will have to see it for myself.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And, I'll be the first to admit, I haven't seen the 3D theatrically or in the home.

However, I have read more than enough reviews that say the 3D wasn't that good.

Of course, I will have to see it for myself.
That's always the best way.:) Again, it's not great and it's far from the best, but it isn't a disaster like some are saying about it.

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
How would you suggest a budget single lens projector handle 3D? I'd love passive home 3D with a single projector but I don't think it's in the cards anytime soon.

I don't think a $4000 PJ is a budget projector. I got the Epson 6040 thinking larger was better after seeing 3D on my 65 incher passive TV and then seeing it on a 110" screen. That's not the case with this player.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I certainly did not find the 3D noticeably bad at the IMAX theatre where I saw it. My Sony active TV is prone to Ghosting, but usually works well with modern 3D movies. I still have "Rogue One" in my suit case here in the hotel in Niagara Falls N.Y. and haven't had a chance to try it.
It is in line behind "Passengers", "Fantastic Beasts", and 2 oldies I bought at the HMV sell out ("Life of Pi" and "I Robot") I also have several flat movies like "Arrival" "Inferno" "The Borne Set" to watch also.
(I am retired. What do people do who still work? How do they find time to watch all this stuff?)
Boy can I get off topic or what? Oh my God I think I am turning into another of those boring flatulent windbag old men like my father!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't think a $4000 PJ is a budget projector. I got the Epson 6040 thinking larger was better after seeing 3D on my 65 incher passive TV and then seeing it on a 110" screen. That's not the case with this player.

Perhaps "budget" was the wrong choice of word on my part :) But my basic question is the same, how would you design a single lens projector to provide passive projection? There'd need be an active element in it somewhere; you'd need to shift it from being in the glasses to being in the lens. You could go with a RealD-type system of circular polarization, but then the customer will need to have a very expensive silver screen installed. You could go with the Dolby-type system that can use a white screen, but the color filters it uses (not to mention the glasses) are ridiculously expensive too. Believe me, I'd absolutely love to have passive 3D at home on a projector - but I don't see a way to accomplish that on a consumer budget.

Full disclosure: I have the Epson 5030 projector, and it has phenomenal 3D quality that far exceeds what my active plasma TV could do with 3D. My wife finds it more comfortable to watch 3D on our projector than at RealD and IMAX 3D screenings in theaters. The Epson 6040 is the essentially same projector as the Epson 5040, which is the next model made after mine. It seems crazy that the 3D quality would decrease so drastically in one product cycle. Is there a chance you might have a defective unit?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Perhaps "budget" was the wrong choice of word on my part :) But my basic question is the same, how would you design a single lens projector to provide passive projection? There'd need be an active element in it somewhere; you'd need to shift it from being in the glasses to being in the lens. You could go with a RealD-type system of circular polarization, but then the customer will need to have a very expensive silver screen installed. You could go with the Dolby-type system that can use a white screen, but the color filters it uses (not to mention the glasses) are ridiculously expensive too. Believe me, I'd absolutely love to have passive 3D at home on a projector - but I don't see a way to accomplish that on a consumer budget.

Full disclosure: I have the Epson 5030 projector, and it has phenomenal 3D quality that far exceeds what my active plasma TV could do with 3D. My wife finds it more comfortable to watch 3D on our projector than at RealD and IMAX 3D screenings in theaters. The Epson 6040 is the essentially same projector as the Epson 5040, which is the next model made after mine. It seems crazy that the 3D quality would decrease so drastically in one product cycle. Is there a chance you might have a defective unit?

I think Bob Furmanek also upgraded to this model and found a lot of ghosting that was not present in the previous model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks