What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm amazed at how many movie screenings I go to where, when faced with a technical problem or disruption of some kind, the audience declines to do anything. In all of the years and times that I've gotten up to find someone about an image being misframed, out of focus, curtains not open, sound not working, film torn, 3D showing being played in 2D, wrong lens, house lights remaining on during the movie, etc, etc, not once have I ever had anyone walk out with me. I have never had the experience of walking out of an auditorium and discovering someone else doing the same. I have never had the experience of going up to the manager and seeing that he's already talking to another customer about the issue.

I find it hard to believe that at 100% of the showings when something went wrong I was the only one who noticed.

Whenever I've been with people and something has happened, they'll make a remark like, "I noticed but it's my day off" or "I'm just trying to have a nice time" or "I didn't feel like complaining". The implication being that the point of going out wasn't to see the movie but just not to be at home or work, and that the presentation quality didn't matter. That it would no longer be a "nice time" if they had to seek out another human to point out an issue. Or that wanting to get the showing you paid for would be "complaining". Obviously that's anecdotal, but there seems to be a strong group urge to not make waves when no one else is. I'd be willing to bet that in those circumstances, if there was a button at your seat that you could anonymously press that told the theater "Something's not right, please come take a look" nearly everyone would less it. But ask one person to stand up in a crowd and do the same, and almost no one will.

Reminds me of a 3D showing I went to in 2012, midnight opening screening so everyone wanted to be there. The theater had a 2D showing in one auditorium, and a 3D showing in one across the hall. Unfortunately, they programmed the computer wrong, and everyone who bought a 2D ticket was sent to the 3D auditorium, and vice versa. Everyone who bought a ticket in 3D, at any added cost, was shown the movie in 2D. No one did anything, people just took their glasses off. Everyone who bought a 2D ticket noticed that their screening was in 3D, and they raced to the hallway, opened up one of those RealD "return your glasses here" bin, grabbed a pair, and went back to watch it in 3D.

I spoke to the manager, who stopped both screenings, and went in, apologized for the mixup. They told anyone in the 2D showing that was supposed to be in 3D that they could walk across the hall to see it in 3D. Other than me, no one did. Then they told everyone in the 3D showing that was supposed to be 2D that they were welcome to stay, or they could go to the other auditorium if they preferred 2D. Everyone stayed (with some overheard comments on how they were getting a bargain).

I was stunned that no one who paid $5 extra to see it in 3D seemed to care that it wasn't.

I just don't understand people sometimes.

Last edited:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've given up on theaters altogether. The local IMAX was the last theater I thought I could depend on, but they've had a smudge on their screen for over a year now (they say it's actually a wrinkle), but regardless I won't pay $20 per ticket to watch a movie on a damaged screen. Another theater, one of the few that actually has proper 2.35 screens, had their front left speaker dead for TWO YEARS. The first time I wasn't sure if that's what the problem was but figured they'd fix it regardless. Two years later and this time it was obvious the speaker wasn't working. I sent an email to the company telling them that everyone at that theater should be fired for not noticing it and fixing it. That same company opened a new "Next-Gen" theater that has all native 1.85 screens with NO MASKING, so all widescreen movies are shown letterboxed! Other than my Yelp review, nobody else has called them out on that- most of them gave it five stars because they like the seats!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you haven't already, you might want to reach out to the IMAX chief quality officer at [email protected] - they show that address onscreen at the end of each presentation asking for comments and feedback. Whenever I've reached out to them about an issue (rather than the local theater), they've gotten the problem fixed.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
If you haven't already, you might want to reach out to the IMAX chief quality officer at [email protected] - they show that address onscreen at the end of each presentation asking for comments and feedback. Whenever I've reached out to them about an issue (rather than the local theater), they've gotten the problem fixed.
Too bad there isn't one for Dolby Cinema issues. I've called AMC Corporate and spoke to multiple managers about DC Issues with no results. Frustrating.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've written to them numerous times, they don't seem to care in this case. They didn't even listen to my complaint of them turning the house lights up ALL THE WAY during the ending credits, despite letting the previews play in complete darkness.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
If I wait for a sale, I can buy a movie on Blu-ray 3D for about the same price or less than what it would cost to see it a movie theatre. So why bother going to the theatre? The image from my Panasonic AE8000 projector fills the with of the wall it's projected on, 138 inches wide.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
If I wait for a sale, I can buy a movie on Blu-ray 3D for about the same price or less than what it would cost to see it a movie theatre. So why bother going to the theatre? The image from my Panasonic AE8000 projector fills the with of the wall it's projected on, 138 inches wide.
Because imo NOTHING come close to seeing a great movie on a giant screen properly projected with an enthusiastic audience.

Great home theaters can be great but none can compete with an IMAX 3D presentation for example.

Ymmv. :)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Because imo NOTHING come close to seeing a great movie on a giant screen properly projected with an enthusiastic audience.

Great home theaters can be great but none can compete with an IMAX 3D presentation for example.

Ymmv. :)

I don't think we have a real giant size IMAX screen here in CT that shows 3D movies. The one in Manchester is only 40 by 20 feet. Only scenes filmed with IMAX cameras look great on real IMAX screens, the rest are a bit soft IMHO.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Only scenes filmed with IMAX cameras look great on real IMAX screens, the rest are a bit soft IMHO.
Haven't been to a Laser equipped IMAX, but all digital IMAX exhibitions I've seen have the same "3D look", and occasional ghosting that I experience at my local cineplex. In past years any 3D title projected by IMAX film-projectors seemed flawless.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Why can't the 3D movies shown after be as incredibly effective as the count down at the beginning? This is the true in your lap 3D you want for the entire movie. If a movie ever was this effective we would all poop ourselves!

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I'm amazed at how many movie screenings I go to where, when faced with a technical problem or disruption of some kind, the audience declines to do anything. In all of the years and times that I've gotten up to find someone about an image being misframed, out of focus, curtains not open, sound not working, film torn, 3D showing being played in 2D, wrong lens, house lights remaining on during the movie, etc, etc, not once have I ever had anyone walk out with me. I have never had the experience of walking out of an auditorium and discovering someone else doing the same. I have never had the experience of going up to the manager and seeing that he's already talking to another customer about the issue.

I find it hard to believe that at 100% of the showings when something went wrong I was the only one who noticed.

Whenever I've been with people and something has happened, they'll make a remark like, "I noticed but it's my day off" or "I'm just trying to have a nice time" or "I didn't feel like complaining". The implication being that the point of going out wasn't to see the movie but just not to be at home or work, and that the presentation quality didn't matter. That it would no longer be a "nice time" if they had to seek out another human to point out an issue. Or that wanting to get the showing you paid for would be "complaining". Obviously that's anecdotal, but there seems to be a strong group urge to not make waves when no one else is. I'd be willing to bet that in those circumstances, if there was a button at your seat that you could anonymously press that told the theater "Something's not right, please come take a look" nearly everyone would less it. But ask one person to stand up in a crowd and do the same, and almost no one will.

Reminds me of a 3D showing I went to in 2012, midnight opening screening so everyone wanted to be there. The theater had a 2D showing in one auditorium, and a 3D showing in one across the hall. Unfortunately, they programmed the computer wrong, and everyone who bought a 2D ticket was sent to the 3D auditorium, and vice versa. Everyone who bought a ticket in 3D, at any added cost, was shown the movie in 2D. No one did anything, people just took their glasses off. Everyone who bought a 2D ticket noticed that their screening was in 3D, and they raced to the hallway, opened up one of those RealD "return your glasses here" bin, grabbed a pair, and went back to watch it in 3D.

I spoke to the manager, who stopped both screenings, and went in, apologized for the mixup. They told anyone in the 2D showing that was supposed to be in 3D that they could walk across the hall to see it in 3D. Other than me, no one did. Then they told everyone in the 3D showing that was supposed to be 2D that they were welcome to stay, or they could go to the other auditorium if they preferred 2D. Everyone stayed (with some overheard comments on how they were getting a bargain).

I was stunned that no one who paid $5 extra to see it in 3D seemed to care that it wasn't.

I just don't understand people sometimes.

Why would anyone bother with going to the theatre with entertaining posts like this to read! :D

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Anyone seen fantastic beasts and where to find them ?, I can't decide from watching trailers if it's worth getting the 3D or just go with the UHD version ?.

Well I just preordered the 3D version lol!.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw two 3D that I hadn't seen before.

I imported Love in 3D from the UK - the 2015 Gaspar Noe film. I wrote about it more in depth in my blind buy thread but the long and short of it is that the movie was terrible, the 3D was very unexceptional, and the sex scenes were boring. Not worth it on any level.

I rented Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows. Even though there's no chance of it being mistaken for a good movie, it was a significant improvement over its predecessor. The director, a Michael Bay protege, shoots the turtles the way Christopher Nolan shoots Batman; it's interesting to see a Ninja Turtles movie ripping off shots from The Dark Knight. And, the big surprise was, the 3D was exceptional. It's good great depth, pop-outs during the action scenes, and phenomenal separation of objects and layering throughout. Every summer blockbuster that does a 3D conversion should do it as well as they did it here. It's not a great movie, but because of the 3D, it was really fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    acinstallation240
    Recent bookmarks