What's new

Michael Murr

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Murr
I'm new so I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I have searched EVERYWHERE and cannot get the info I am looking for!!!! Does ANYONE know if there is a difference between the blu ray extended trilogy editions "Lord of the Rings" between Canadian and US versions??? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Have a great day y'all

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I'm new so I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I have searched EVERYWHERE and cannot get the info I am looking for!!!! Does ANYONE know if there is a difference between the blu ray extended trilogy editions "Lord of the Rings" between Canadian and US versions??? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Have a great day y'all

I have the Canadian editions, and unless they are different from every other Blu Ray I have ever bought, the only difference you will see, will be in the writing on the back, which will be very tiny to accomodate the fact that both our official languages have to be on everything. Inside it will be the same as the US version.

I buy all Blu Rays of new movies here in Canada, where due to our exchange rate they are less expensive for us. Catalogue items are usually much cheaper in the US, and of course I buy many items not available in Canada at all (Warner Archive) on Amazon.com and have them sent to our US postal box.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Yes, sort of. With the UDP-203, it froze three times to black after the Disney castle sequence. Having BD-live turned off didn't cure the problem. It worked fine the first time after I placed it into the old workhorse, the BDP-95.
On the UDP 203 when Moana is first played, language selection comes up, a black screen and then 2D Disney Castle sequence, then 3D kicks in with a rooster pecking at food ( Java being read?), then another black screen then "top menu" appears. No problems here with 3 viewings. The third time I was checking out bonus choices. (203 has the latest official firmware update)

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
On the UDP 203 when Moana is first played, language selection comes up, a black screen and then 2D Disney Castle sequence, then 3D kicks in with a rooster pecking at food ( Java being read?), then another black screen then "top menu" appears. No problems here with 3 viewings. The third time I was checking out bonus choices. (203 has the latest official firmware update)

It went black 3 times before the rooster. Like I said, fortunately, it played right away on my 95.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Tried watching Moana 3D tonight and it kept freezing up. On both my 4K Samsung player and my PS 3. Same spot. About two minutes in the moment the Rock character is introduced.

Happened during the short too.

Anyone else experience this.
Wondering if it's a pressing defect, given that it happens in the same spot on two different branded players.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watched Tarzan in 3D immediately after with zero issues.

Great movie too. Nice 3D.
I've been meaning to compare the 3-D disc which I bought first and what I initially viewed in a movie theater to the 4K/UHD disc that I bought after committing to buying a 4K/UHD setup this year. I'll try to do so in the coming days.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Woah, John! Welcome to the club. Keep us posed on what you think.

Thanks Ron, here's my take. I watched HOUSE OF WAX on my 65 incher in the den, it looked great...but small. Just watched in my HT on the 110" screen and it's a completely different story. It's like it was when I watched it at the movies back in the 70' or 80's when they paired it with IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE...bigger than life!

I was going to get PASSENGERS but to get the 3D you have to buy the 4K version, so I broke down and bought it.

I'll get to see 4K and what 3D looks like in faux 3D.

Michael Murr

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Murr
I have the Canadian editions, and unless they are different from every other Blu Ray I have ever bought, the only difference you will see, will be in the writing on the back, which will be very tiny to accomodate the fact that both our official languages have to be on everything. Inside it will be the same as the US version.

I buy all Blu Rays of new movies here in Canada, where due to our exchange rate they are less expensive for us. Catalogue items are usually much cheaper in the US, and of course I buy many items not available in Canada at all (Warner Archive) on Amazon.com and have them sent to our US postal box.

Thanks for the info
Regards

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just watched HOUSE OF WAX on my new Epson 6040 projector in my HT with (and not supplied) RF Active Shutter Glasses from Quantum and had severe ghosting and it was such a let down. Returning those back to Amazon today.

Watched the same movie in my den using 3DTV Corp DLP (Passive) Link Glasses and the movie was perfect.

Just bought the $100 glasses by Epson from Amazon. I so hope this works. I wanted to save money but I guess not...more money to buy more 3D!

Last edited:

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Considering the fact that most 3D films retail for $27.99 normally, Passengers 4K/3D/Blu at $25.96 currently is a bargain!:thumbsup:
Agreed.
Pre-ordered Passengers December 22, when the price was $45.99, knowing it would average out. Came in the mail yesterday afternoon as promised on release day and I was surprised that it reached $25.96 with an additional 4K, slip-cover included. Saves me $20.03 per the price-match guarantee.
Would have cancelled it if my local BestBuy had it available for in-store pick up first-thing in the morning, as they also price match.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
HTF Link.jpg
(HTF source Link)

Passengers 3D March 14, 2017 Review by Martin Liebman:
3D Video Quality:
Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 8.57.40 AM copy.jpg

3D:

Passengers' Blu-ray 3D experience opens with a positive sense of wide open space as the Avalon approaches the screen and subsequently drifts away from it. Space extends as far as the 3D depth allows and as wide and high as the frame around the film. The asteroid field that causes all the problems shows excellent space between the rocks, tangible volume and shape to each of them, and appears appropriately dense but not packed. The ship is small in scale, appropriately, but close-up shots show its interesting shape and volume. Interiors stretch far, revealing the true scale that wasn't quite so obvious in 2D. And even smaller spaces, like the inside of the pod as Jim awakens, are likewise nicely defined in terms of volume and distance between objects. Objects that looked and felt flat in 2D reveal their true shape in 3D; the coffee machine, for example, has a raised panel that stands quite a bit out in front of the icons behind it.
*The rest of the review is display dependent that is not the fault of the 3D encode. The 3D has the same visual quality potential as the 1080P HD 2D version.

*3D Display resolve experience:
On the downside, colors are less rich and dense and details are a bit smoother. The image on the whole is a little bleaker, too. Some shimmering that wasn't apparent on either the Blu-ray or the UHD is introduced here. Look at the thin circular light fixtures in the theater at the 7:35 mark. Waving and jaggies are readily evident and straight lines throughout (some, not all) show similar issues to varying degrees of intensity. However, no major crosstalk effects were noted during review.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks