What's new

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
For anyone like me looking to see the prior two installments of xXx before the third film of the series, the first one was re-released as a 15th Anniversary Blu-ray edition that features improved PQ and audio. Like it's successor, State of the Union, it is only in 2D. The 15th Anniversary Edition just so happens to have recently been reviewed by Martin Liebman. The second film seems to have gone OOP likely due to the fact it featured rapper Ice Cube rather than Vin Diesel. It sells for way too much, $60, on amazon but can be purchased for far less as a region free disk from the UK.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
For anyone like me looking to see the prior two installments of xXx before the third film of the series, the first one was re-released as a 15th Anniversary Blu-ray edition that features improved PQ and audio. Like it's successor, State of the Union, it is only in 2D. The 15th Anniversary Edition just so happens to have recently been reviewed by Martin Liebman. The second film seems to have gone OOP likely due to the fact it featured rapper Ice Cube rather than Vin Diesel. It sells for way too much, $60, on amazon but can be purchased for far less as a region free disk from the UK.

"State of the Union" is probably unavailable because it bombed, not because Ice Cube is in it. Would it have done better with Diesel back in the film? Maybe, but I never got the impression "xXx" was a film audiences loved - it did pretty well but it didn't come across as a franchise moviegoers really cared about.

Ice Cube isn't very active as a musician anymore, BTW. He spends way more time acting these days...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
"State of the Union" is probably unavailable because it bombed, not because Ice Cube is in it. Would it have done better with Diesel back in the film? Maybe, but I never got the impression "xXx" was a film audiences loved - it did pretty well but it didn't come across as a franchise moviegoers really cared about.

Ice Cube isn't very active as a musician anymore, BTW. He spends way more time acting these days...
Also because State of the Union relied on the premise that
" Xander Cage is dead"
, which is clearly being retconned.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Also because State of the Union relied on the premise that
" Xander Cage is dead"
, which is clearly being retconned.

Yeah, the second DVD of "xXx" even included a short film to do the spoiler-ized deed, which I thought was gratuitous - the sequel could've been made without that move.

Assuming I see the new movie eventually, I'll be curious to see how they "fix" that! :)

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter bundles that include both Blu-ray 3-D and UHD disks are now available for pre-order from Best Buy in either standard or steelbook packaging both for $29.99.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The Lorax is on sale for under $20 on Amazon. Wonder if its worth getting. I have read some unfavorable reviews of the movie, but very favorable reviews of the 3D experience.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
The Lorax is on sale for under $20 on Amazon. Wonder if its worth getting. I have read some unfavorable reviews of the movie, but very favorable reviews of the 3D experience.

Meh. It's not a very enjoyable animation movie from a script standpoint and I recall the 3-D being a bit underwhelming. Personally, I'd use that $20 towards B.L.'s Halftime Walk or another disk your more likely to watch more than once which is the amount of times we've watched the Lorax.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
RON,

At best I'd say rent it as cheap as you can. It was not a good movie, not remotely worth buying. Even my youngest who we took to see it did not like it at all. Didn't even want to stay through the whole movie. Totally forgettable movie. Don't waste your money.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Are folks just buying 3-D discs just for fact that it's a movie in 3-D and the actual movie quality (story etc) gets tossed aside??

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are people buying blockbuster titles with the latest VFX and Audio for the fact that it's a movie with the latest VFX and Audio and the movie quality gets tossed aside?

Are people buying replacing DVDs with Blu-rays for that fact that it's a blu-ray and the movie quality gets tossed aside?

Are people replacing VHS with DVDs for the fact that it's a DVD and the movie quality gets tossed aside?

People buy for lots of reasons, sometimes solely for the visceral experience: There's nothing wrong with watching a movie in the same way you ride a roller coaster. Sometimes because the audio / visual is inferior but the story is worthwhile. Sometimes it's just to keep the kids quiet for two hours. And usually it's some mixture of reasons that distill down to "I like it".

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Yup, would never have 2D versions of Pixels or Texas Chainsaw for example. Couldn't pass up TC for about $3 at an FYE going out of business sale.There's a great scene involving a basement doorway that makes owning it worthwhile...

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I try not to do that. A poor movie in 3D is still a poor movie.

A poor movie in 2d can be a totally different experience in 3-D. Although this isn't always the case, as 3D quality can vary significantly.

Likewise a great 3-D movie can be a very average 2d movie. But a poor 3d movie is just a poor movie period.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I wasn't talking about a poor movie in 2D I was talking about a poor movie. 3D isn't going to help it much. There was a movie released by Twilight Time about a detective and there was a roller coaster ride in it, I'm forgetting the name. I did not like the movie at all and the 3D did not help it. There's The Bubble which a lot of people like, but I found it to be merely odd and uninteresting. Even the outstanding 3D hasn't yet gotten me to watch it a second time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks