What's new

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
Happy New 2017 fellow 3-D aficionados! How about starting it off with a nice price drop from amazon on some 3-D eye candy with Universal's Warcraft 3-D currently priced at $16.99! And eye candy it is (though not the sweetest) according to Martin Liebman who wrote:

Warcraft's 3D presentation is quite good and impresses on most all fronts. The only real shortcomings stem from a color palette that lacks the brilliance of the 2D-only image and a modest uptick in aliasing, visible largely along smooth lines of armor pieces. Otherwise, the 3D image is good to go. Detail holds up very well, with real and digital characters and attire finding plenty of organic definition. Orc flesh is very finely presented and, much like the 2D image, is a showcase for the Blu-ray format and the state of digital visual effects. The 3D portion of the transfer delivers across the board. General depth is fantastic, when landscapes stretch out and overhead shots present with a tangible sense of distance. But some of the most interesting shots actually come in close-up. Orcs are very interesting creatures to look at in 3D. Their muscular mass is enough to take obvious shape in 3D, but add in some more layers -- those big teeth that protrude from the mouth, boney armor and hellish accents, and thickly clumped or braided hair -- and it all adds up to create a number of different pieces taking amazing shape, complimenting the whole very well, and creating a satisfying collection of shapes and spacings even in shots that show little more than head, chest, and shoulders. Some of the more ornate, curved, and finely crafted furnishings and location details are likewise voluminous and deep. There's also no shortage of limbs and weapons and other odds and ends that seem to stick out of the screen when pushing in that direction. This is a very impressive 3D effort that fans definitely need to see.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I bought Warcraft a couple weeks ago. It looks even better at home than it does in the theater.

The 3-D on this film is strong for a modern film. Definitely not 2.5D. Enjoyable popcorn movie. $16.99 is a very reasonable price.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I will be honest, I thought I was going to watch several films backed up on my shelf this festive holiday but I think I've watched 2 in total.. My new Oppo 203 player has stutter on blu Ray which is exacerbated with 3D playback. I believe USA beta testers have a f/w fix but the uk has to wait a while. One of my reasons going for Oppo is region free for blu Ray but when I thought about it I can't remember the last time I needed region A.

I'm looking forward to seeing how my new projector (Epson TW9300W) copes with 3D, hopefully only a couple of weeks to wait now!.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I finally got to see Joe Dante's "The Hole" in 3D and really enjoyed it. It is one of the better natively filmed 3D titles I have seen. Director Dante really uses depth in interesting and exciting ways. I wish other directors would be this creative and attentive to what makes good 3D visuals. Of course what sucks is this film has never been released as a 3D Blu-ray in Region one. I rented the version released in the Netherlands which is the only one that is region free. I would really like to ad this film to my 3D collection and noticed it is available through Amazon for a mere $2,443.15. There has always been a premium of Blu-ray 3D but this is Ridiculous! This would be a great release from Shout or Twilight Time as it is a really fun movie from a well known director.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

Good Morning!

You say it's a Joe Dante film? He's one of my favorite directors.

That price is pretty ridiculous, but let me go check my penny jar.....

Who can I order and import from?

jmoomer

Auditioning
Real Name
Julius
You'll find it cheaper on eBay, if you don't have a preference for what country it comes from. I recently picked up an Australian copy for $15 US.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oooh....let me look. Thank you for that. I will get back to everyone.

Edit: Found a copy out of Australia for $10.xx but then there was a $17.xx shipping charge added on top of that. :(

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Netherlands which is the only one that is region free.
Back.jpg

Purchased my region-free copy from http://www.cdendvd.com/ in 2014. The same place I purchased the region-free T.S. Spivet in 3D

Google the EAN# 8715664089422 and you will find several places to order.

Miles

Second Unit
I was thinking of ordering in Kubo from the UK. Does anyone have any other 3D recommends that aren't available in US/Canada? I've already picked up Big Hero 6, which was really worth waiting for the 3D version.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Kubo is available from amazon as a domestic release: http://a.co/4j1st9z
I admit to frequenting the amazon.co.uk Disney sales, which happen about twice a year. So far, I have picked up Frozen, Maleficent, Big Hero 6 and Brave (went out of print in North America).

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I finally got to see Joe Dante's "The Hole" in 3D and really enjoyed it. It is one of the better natively filmed 3D titles I have seen. Director Dante really uses depth in interesting and exciting ways. I wish other directors would be this creative and attentive to what makes good 3D visuals. Of course what sucks is this film has never been released as a 3D Blu-ray in Region one. I rented the version released in the Netherlands which is the only one that is region free. I would really like to ad this film to my 3D collection and noticed it is available through Amazon for a mere $2,443.15. There has always been a premium of Blu-ray 3D but this is Ridiculous! This would be a great release from Shout or Twilight Time as it is a really fun movie from a well known director.
:eek::wacko::(:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Miles

Second Unit
Kubo is available from amazon as a domestic release: http://a.co/4j1st9z
I admit to frequenting the amazon.co.uk Disney sales, which happen about twice a year. So far, I have picked up Frozen, Maleficent, Big Hero 6 and Brave (went out of print in North America).

Oh, sorry. It must be just Canada that missed out this time and I'm a Canuckle-head. But maybe you guessed that when I said "sorry" ;)

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I have The Hole, it wasn't bad 3D and was enjoyable, I'm picking up kubo on Monday but I hear the 3D is 2.5D again?.

Also is it true that all television manufacturers have dropped 3D now ?, I also see that Vivitek have a 4K DLP projector at CES but also have dropped 3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks