What's new

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
There is the part of me that wonders why passive didn't adopt the side-by-side model for halving resolution, making it 1080 x 960 instead of 540 x 1920. In any event, passive on 4K seems more ideal.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Most of my 3D watching is from Blu-ray. But Fly Me To the Moon is not available on Blu-ray 3D. It is on HBO On Demand in side-by-side 3D. I thought it looked great - even the 138 inch wide image from my Panasonic AE8000 projector.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Most of my 3D watching is from Blu-ray. But Fly Me To the Moon is not available on Blu-ray 3D. It is on HBO On Demand in side-by-side 3D. I thought it looked great - even the 138 inch wide image from my Panasonic AE8000 projector.

I hope one day fly me to the moon appears on blu Ray, I'm counting the days until Robinson Crusoe !.

Ray_Rogers1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Rogers
I'm just wondering if I'm strange for buying 3D Blu-ray releases, a lot of them have exclusive discs of conent, even though my computer monitor doesn't support 3D.
I watch my Blu-rays through my self-built computer, have all the software needed to remove region coding and to watch them. Even a decent ASUS IPS monitor. I'm not even entirely sure which titles I own that are proper 3D or just the conversions.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm just wondering if I'm strange for buying 3D Blu-ray releases, a lot of them have exclusive discs of conent, even though my computer monitor doesn't support 3D.
I watch my Blu-rays through my self-built computer, have all the software needed to remove region coding and to watch them. Even a decent ASUS IPS monitor. I'm not even entirely sure which titles I own that are proper 3D or just the conversions.

I started buying Blu-ray 3D discs about two years before I had a 3D TV. I had a feeling I would one day get a TV that could support 3D and didn't want to rebuy everything. I know I'm not the only one that did that.

As for which ones are real and which ones are converted, I'm not sure that really matters as much anymore. I saw a movie called "The Walk" last year which was the most incredible 3D experience I've ever had, and I discovered afterwards that it had been converted. Meanwhile, I saw "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" which was shot natively with 3D cameras, and the 3D quality was terrible - very flat and lifeless, it was the most 2D-looking 3D movie I've ever seen. It's really all about how much the filmmakers care about 3D. If the filmmaker cares to present an immersive 3D experience, it'll be enjoyable regardless of whether it was shot in 3D or converted. If the filmmaker doesn't care, it won't matter if it's native or not.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Ray_Rogers1979, you sound like the kind of person who might find much to appreciate in VR/HMD devices like Oculus Rift, Samsung VR, or even humble Google Cardboard. If you have not already done so, I encourage you to look into those.

Josh, you are dead on in your remarks about The Walk and X-Men: Days of Future Past. Zemeckis obviously loves him some 3-D. Singer, maybe not so much.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
You might want to look at this: https://www.avegant.com/buy-now

Ray_Rogers1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Rogers
Thanks everyone for the feedback. One of my friends has an Oculus Rift v2, I think or v3, mainly to play ELITE: Dangerous on his own self-built computer.
Prior to that he has shown me a virtual cinema for use with 3D content. I don't know if it natively supports the MVC codec or there's a download for one of the Blu-ray watching programs. Maybe WinDVD or whatever I'm using.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Conversion is improving. Obviously, it can't match well done native 3D, but it can come close.

After seeing "The Walk", I'm now a believer that converted 3D can be equal to native 3D. I'm the last person that expected to say that, but there it is.

It's a shame that Bryan Singer's "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" was so lackluster in 3D. Singer's "Jack The Giant Slayer" had excellent 3D. In an interview, Singer said that the 3D for "Jack" took a lot of extra time, and that he felt like he had to direct the movie watching monitors in video village instead of actually being next to his actors on the set. Although he liked the results, he hated the process. For "X-Men," he said that he just instructed the DP to place the camera wherever he would have normally placed it for 2D photography, and Singer only looked at the 2D monitor during photography. And the result is, it looks like a 2D movie - there's very little separation of objects and layers, and the action plays mostly flat. In this case, a conversion might have been better, because even if Singer wasn't interested at all in 3D while on the set, the conversion team would have cared and done their best to present a 3D experience.

It strikes me as strange to try shooting a movie in 3D, note that the process had issues, but instead of working to fix those issues, simply move on to shooting for 2D. If it were me, I would seek to learn from my mistakes as well as improve the process. I think filmmaker apathy - or at least resistance to new ways - is at least partly to blame for the decline in 3D. 3D was never a technology that 100% of the people were going to like 100% of the time, but if every movie released in 3D actually needed to be seen that way, and was presented in an exciting fashion, I think it would have made a difference. 3D requires a new cinematic grammar that hasn't even been fully invented yet, and it's surprising how few people were actually interested in doing that.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Unfortunately The Avegant Glyph doesn't support 3D Blu-ray MVC 3D format, as I have one. Only SBS. Believe the same case for the current specs of the Oculus Rift.
Perhaps the best route for HMDs is either a dedicated HMD (not a VR headset), or if going the VR route, Sony's new VR headset for the PS4.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I agree that conversions have improved and can be very good but I can usually tell straight away if a movie is native 3D or a conversion, it's normally characters and their faces.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Watched Wrath of the Titans today, some decent 3D in there!, been on the shelf for a very long time so thought woukd give it a spin.

A question, does anyone know if 4K blu Ray releases maybe bundled with 3D blu Ray or vice versa ?. Just thinking about future purchases...

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I agree that conversions have improved and can be very good but I can usually tell straight away if a movie is native 3D or a conversion, it's normally characters and their faces.
Completely agree. Still takes expensive labor-intensive human judgment choices adding the sense of volume, forming feature separation characteristic in a face, which when filmed in native 3D captures the form that exists.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That first shot of Sam Worthington in Avatar, waking up, with the droplet of water floating in front of him was converted. The filmmakers weren't able to get the right look with their native 3D rig, so they took the shot in 2D and converted later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks