What's new

HTF SURVEY: What else would you like to see done with DVD? (1 Viewer)

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
Just for fun--how about re-arranging scenes and dubbing in new dialogue a la What's Up Tiger Lily or Mystery Science Theater?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
A feature I would love would be the 'cut your own trailer feature'. What would really make this special is incorporating the shrek software to incorporate your own voiceovers (woohoo for parodys!) and allowing you access to supplemental material as well to incorporate as well. That way if you want to make a trailer like Close Encounters or LOTR two towers ten minute preview (what I mean is input from creative team about the film in the advertising). What would be amazing is if they let you save the trailer as a movie file on your computer so you can share it with your friends. of course a time limit and amount of trailers that can be duplicated (create as many as you like, you can only share five four minute trailers) limit would have to be placed so people aren't just copying the film straight over.

Is this a total pipe dream? absolutely, but I think it's an original idea, even if its totally unfeasable for them to somehow place an avid on a dvd.

but maybe a small, very limited power video editing program could be included as a ROM feature, it would only work for that dvds material, but it would let you detail a limited number of bits of the film (and maybe supplemental materials) to be resequenced on your computer, then add shreks revoice to add your own voiceovers or even 'dub' your own dialouge for laughs.

Perhaps it's possible if a low bit rate version of the film (like the size and compression of the quicktime trailers) were put on the second disc, taking up a small amount of space.

heck even something limited like the die hard editing suite would be intriguing, play with different options from the official trailer, resequencing key parts of the trailer would be interesting at least once.

Another Idea for a ROM feature, compose your own subtitles for key sequences of dubbed versions of the film. So while some horrid french dub is playing on an american scene you have the oppurtunity to dub in alternate subtitles suggesting something totally different than the actual scene. You could really come up with some ridiculous/funny stuff for quite a few films. they could play the finished product as dub, subbed, and original, playing the dub alone first, followed by the dubbed scene with your subtitles, followed by the scene in the original English. Come to think of it highschool foreign language teachers would jump at this feature, making it an important learning tool (based on the accuracy of the students translation of the dubs). the studios could probably make some money off providing a disc with scenes from many different films (though not well known to teenagers, since the teachers don't want cheaters getting buy) and this option. Talk about a potentially cool hands on foreign language project.

probably totally impossible for rights issues on both counts but, hey they wanted original ideas, and these are somewhat original, I suppose

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Something I would like would follow in the path of things already being done.
I like commentaries (usually) but often they can't spend time with a great scene. Then you also have these new branchings when an icon pops up (like the rabbit in Matrix). And we have seen visual commentaries on things like Ghostbusters.
Well, how about that same icon thing except that it takes you to a scene breakdown, either by the director or even better by a professional film critic/researcher/professor (like on some Criterion titles). The shots could be paused so that things could be pointed out, perhaps markings made on the picture itself to help point out things, etc.
The content would be to discuss camera movements, art direction choices, dialog, music, and so on.
Not unlike something that happens in a film class. I've yet to analyze a film thoroughly and not end up loving it twice as much as I did before (or liking films I only found average before that).
If not the icon thing, then on disc 2 and just call it "film school in a can". Not just a string of behind the scenes stuff, but the actual analysis of key scenes. Behind the scenes footage could be used to enhance a point about how the shot was captured however.
Less innovative, I sure do love a Charlie Rose interview on the DVD. I wish every single disc came with this feature. :) (ditto that for old Siskel/Ebert shows)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Something not new, but a new trend that I would like to give a thumbs up to as positive reinforcement...

Having the storyboard to film comparison be above each other as smaller versions, rather than having to angle back and forth. Keeping the full screen versions of each as a 2nd and 3rd angle is fine, but I get the most enjoyment from these comparisons when I can sort of watch both at the same time.

I really like that feature.

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
Something that does NOT get enough play in my book is the way DVDs have that great system for captioning using images instead of coding it for the TV to figure out (a la closed captioning).
I loved the talking head sillohuete commentaries for "Ghostbusters" and "Men In Black" and I'd love more of this. Especially if they'd take advantage of their ability to draw on the screen. Does anyone remember the year Comedy Central had the "State of the Union Undressed" and basically gave a bunch of comedians that technology they use for calling plays in football and they spend half the time drawing naked women doing things to Clinton? I want to see more of that! Or instead of doing it as a DVD rom feature (like in Scary Movie), how about a text track pointing out bloopers, stuff we can't notice, etc on the DVD itself?
Also, I love Army of Darkness's text track so that you can see the storyboards on the corner of the screen as the movie progresses. That was just cool! Does ANY other DVD do this? Well, they should!
One last comment: animated DVDs. How about an angle feature so can watch certain parts of the movie with a small screen in the Corner (a la Mallrats) with the original video recordings of the actors doing the voices. I'd love to see just how many different takes they come from.
Okay, that's all I got for now. I'll try to remember that huge list I wrote once of what features I would want if I could create my own DVD SE. :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I love Tim's idea mentioned above about drop down menus ie highlight an item and it pops out a list of choices.

This would save time on having to constantly flip to submenus or screens to select an option like soundtrack or language choice.

derek

Second Unit
Seemless branching for edited cuts of a movie (ie airline cut available.) LONG since promised and anticipated at the advent of DVD...never realized. So now you have consumers taking the matter into their own hands with the help of Cleanflicks, MovieMask, TVGuardian etc.

Gary_E

Second Unit
I agree with Tom's Rags post earlier.
These discs could be titled HOME THEATER EDITIONS.
I remember WB released Ocean's Eleven on VHS with a Looney Tunes short, a newsreel and then the feature which gave the feel of being in the theater back in the 1960s.
In addition, place a small video clip at the beginning of the disc playing for example: "Welcome to this theater"...."Please NO SMOKING"..."Please be quiet during the feature"..."Visit our concession stand"...etc.
All of these options should be accessible from the main menu along with an "Express Option" which would bypass everything and simply play the movie itself.
To the studio(s) asking for our opinion....THANK YOU.
-Gary

JeromeS

Stunt Coordinator
How about while a movie is playing to have small screens on the corners that show the orchestra/band that created the music score, and another with the foley artists doing their thing.

Also how about supplements with the sound engineer. I like a great sounding DVD as most people here but what goes on in making the sound for the movie I really have no idea. Maybe where a sound engineer works on one scene would be good.

Another supplement might be why particular music was used for a scene as opposed to different ones. Was it because certain ones didn't create the right mood? Then maybe play out the scene with each particular music to see how the scene changes just based on the music used.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I would like to see more goofs/outtakes as opposed to just deleted scenes. These can be so funny and you gotta believe that every film ever done had plenty of goofs. It's just a matter of effort to collect the materials and put them on the DVD.

Secondly, I like the sound of the tips/other info track that will be on BTTF. That seems like a neat feature and I wouldn't mid seeing more of it.

Can't really think of anything else that's "never been done before".

Just give us good quality, once.

Mark Fatow

Auditioning
Hello all:

All of the suggestions that have been made thus far, are pretty interesting to say the least, but there is one thing that the studios still haven't gotten right "The movie theater experience." You can have all the special features you want, but the real reason we buy DVDs is for the main feature. And in an attempt to recreate the movie going experience, we have spent a ridiculous amount of money and time on a genuine home theater. But to me and I am sure many of you would agree, there is still something sorely missing. The one thing that makes you feel like you are in a movie theater (and I am not talking about those annoying people talking on their cell phones or that curiously sticky floor underneath your seat) what I speak of, we all highly anticipate and help get us jonesing for our next movie fix... the theatrical trailers of course. Now I am not talking about doing it the Disney way, PLEASE READ ON

Here are my suggestions:

-Unlike Disney, give viewers the ability to TURN ON or TURN OFF the theatrical trailers through the menu. Once you select PLAY MOVIE the option SHOW TRAILERS or DO NOT SHOW TRAILERS will appear choose the one you want and then enjoy your movie going experience.

-If you choose the SHOW TRAILERS option The statement:
"COMING SOON TO A THEATER OR DVD PLAYER NEAR YOU"

Would show ONLY ONCE before the trailers begin, then actual THEATRICAL trailers of the films meant to be advertised would be shown one after the other with no interruption in between. To add even more to the nostalgia of watching the movie, show some of the same trailers that were shown at the time of its theatrical release. Now the intended marketing message still has been dealt to the consumer, but the more authentic feeling of watching a movie in the theater has been not been compromised.

Then the finishing touch:
Show either a Dolby Digital or DTS Theatrical trailer (according to the sound format chosen) to give us a little reminder exactly why we got into DVD and home theater in the first place.

This to me would be the MOST SPECIAL special feature as it would bring us one step closer to the true "movie theater experience"

Mark

Gregory E

Second Unit
I like this thread, although it is hard to come up with truly original ideas.

1) I kind of like some DVDs that have "Trivia Tracks" that scroll along the bottom. Sort of like VH1's "Pop-up Video".

2) I like to see behind the scenes footage of films and DVDs being edited in the studio. Show us the process you guys use to put out the DVD we're watching.

3) To be able to select the audio tracks only (but still in 5.1) would be cool. Maybe have some kind of cool screen saver playing on the TV while your listening.

4) I like the idea of watching the actors and directors actually watching the the movie while doing their commentaries.

5) It depends on the movie, but it could be cool to be able to access just the best or funniest lines of dialogue from the movie. (i.e. - Samuel L. Jackson from Pulp Fiction)

6) Watching the movie trailers from different countries (in their native languages) is sometimes entertaining.

7) Create a DVD menu that is actually like a restaurant menu. Maybe even have a waiter or one of the actors from the movie speak to you and take your order for audio, extras, and scene selections. But some people don't like long or complicated menus...so you'd have to be careful with that one.

I can't think of anything else right now. Maybe later...

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Or more fun - how about a subtitle track that is written like some webpage script modifiers that change the webpage to "Elmer Fudd"-ese, "Jar-Jar Binks"-ese, etc?
Just think of the possibilities...
"Yousa goes ahead...make meesa day!" :D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I like Todd's idea for Kung-Fu lessons.
no seriously, Monthy Python and the Holy Grail had a leason on how to use your coconuts. Just think of all that DVD could teach us....
The Count of Monte Cristo: The beginers guide to fencing!
From Hell: Absinthe, the brew-at-home course
Reservoir Dogs: 70's kareoke function
Pulp Fiction: Twist lessons by John Travolta
Mission Impossible 2: How to make your motorcycle switch from street to dirt tires in midair!
But seriosly, I'd just love...
*Anamorphic video enhanced for 16x9 tv's (when its film-applicable).
*Digitally restored picture quality
*Best audio master the studio is capable of
*Trailer
*Restoration demonstration (the only "extra" I watch more than once)
*Subtitles and Captions.
*Use all disk-space for presentation!

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Please, do not waste disk space for outtakes.

Some guy blows his line; laughter ensues.
Next take: Other guy laughs before first guy gets to the line; they both laugh.
Next take: They both just start laughing.

Please use the available space for something valuable or interesting.

All I want is 16x9 anamorphic, high quality video and high quality DD or dts sound.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I'd like to see some more critic commentaries. What I'd particularly like would be to have a "for" critic and an "against" critic debating the various merits/deficiencies of scenes as they are playing. Who knows, it might even have a positive effect on future Hollywood output.

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Since I don't have the time to read through the whole thread this may have been suggested, but:
In many movies, especially those heavy on CGI, it would be cool to use the alternate angle feature to show the scenes without the CGI, much like what was done for MIB. But if this was available in the actualy movie, it would be kinda neat. Especially, if an accompanied technical commentary spoke of it at the same time. The angle could even change automatically, if that was chosen.
--Anders

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
This only would apply to TV DVD releases......
I'd like to see the original commercials integrated into TV programming on DVD. This would have to include the ability to watch the programs WITH or WITHOUT the commercials. It would add a nostalgic feel to the older TV shows that are now popping up on DVD. And if you don't feel like sitting through the adverts, just switch them off.
Original network TV promo ads would be nice to see on every TV boxed set as well.
And, like someone mentioned earlier, I'd love to see more Photo Galleries included on more DVDs (TV and movie releases). I find Galleries one of the most interesting extras on DVDs.

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
-Commentary by the film's music composer and more 5.1 isolated scores.
-specific scenes in other languages(T2,Monsters Inc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks