What's new

HTF SURVEY: What else would you like to see done with DVD? (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Not really new or inventive... just not used much.

An on-the-set diary type documentary similar to what was included in the Magnolia DVD (Magnolia Diary).

I like to see the progress of the film in pre-production, during the shoot, post-production, promotion, etc.
This is far more interesting than the typical after-the-fact type documentary.

Of course, it would be best to include this on a 2nd disc as it could take up a nice amount of space.

Carl R

Grip
I'd like to see more guitar instruction videos released on DVD. There are plenty to be found on VHS but so far not many have been released on DVD. The Steve Vai Alien Love Secrets DVD showed some promising new ideas for how the DVD format could be used for instructional videos. I'd like to see:
- the use of different camera angles for close-ups of the fretboard,
- a commentary track in addition to the music track,
- "minus one" sound track
- the possibility to repeat tracks and skip to the desired track, unlike on a VHS tape.
- notation could be included as a DVD-ROM feature and printed out instead of a booklet. That way you will never misplace it.

This does of course not only apply to guitar instruction videos but others as well.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I think that whenever there is a musical score or a CD soundtrack available, put the music or songs directly accessible from the menu. I don't mean a music video, or a separate soundtrack for the movie. An example would be, lets say there was a new SE for Dazed and Confused, it would be cool to be able to click through the menu to a part where I can play back full length songs from the movie just like as if I had the CD soundtrack. Since the studios need to secure the rights to include music into the movies for home video anyways, why not maximize use of the songs or score and include full versions of them in their own separate section in the menu.

In all reality, I can't possibly think of any other new and totally unique supplements. There is certainly room for improvement in ideas that have already been tried once or twice.

The types of supplements that I think are good, but should be used more often are:

1. The Infinifilm option where you can directly access a specific supplement from within the movie when it applies to a certain scene (also nicknamed the 'Follow the White Rabbit' feature from the Matrix)

2. I think DVD-ROM supplements could be improved. I disagree with Universal's Total Axess ideas of including video supplements such as deleted scenes online only, what I mean are things like scripts, games, and other things similar to the Voice Over feature that Shrek had.

3. Improved Documentaries/featurettes. It seems like less and less movies actually contain meaningful documentaries. Im talking about things like the one on 12 Monkeys, the 25th Anniversary edition of the Exorcist, the upcoming doc on the Unforgiven disc. I absolutely cannot stand to see 12 minute EPKs which are nothing more than 6 minutes of clips of the movie, 5.5 minutes worth of interviews of the cast explaining what their role is, and what the movie is about, and then 30 seconds of behind the scenes footage. Those types of things are so pointless and do not take the place of a well done behind the scenes documentary.

I could go on and on nit-picking different supplements and how they could be improved, but I know this is not the point of this thread. If the studios wanted our opinions, I think that most of us would agree that more is not always better. The age old saying "Quality over Quantity" certainly applies to DVD supplements. Get rid of the fluff, and improve upon what you already have, and you'll win us over.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
This is an excellent opportunity. Thank-you kindly.

That is a tough call. Specific supplemental materials really ought to be devised on a film-by-film basis. In general terms, supplemental materials should not be discounted as “just icing on the cake”, consider them works of art in and of themselves. Supplemental materials ought to be crafted to support and extend the feature’s story, themes, and characters; to further explore details of these not previously addressed as seriously or fully in entertainment news show snippets, junkets, and other less insightful media forums.

Specifically, feature-length documentaries (in addition to “video diaries”) by DVD producers given reasonably free reign to capture all aspects of a project from pre-production (including script treatments and casting) through production, post-production, opening night, and audience reception/perceptions weeks after opening are highly valued by fans and film aficionados alike.

In terms of how customers interface with a DVD, once again the interface ought to excitingly yet unobtrusively (read easily navigable; and presuming repeated viewings of the disc) engage the customer in the feature’s major themes, ideas and characters.

Discounting whether or not it is possible, how about commentaries where the commentator is imaged approximately at or beside the customer’s seating position while the full-blown dolby digital or dts 5.1/6.1/etc. surround soundtrack plays at normal volume from all speakers. This would require an extremely clear commentary with the commentator’s sensitivity to pause during loud sequences as required.

One more idea: how about a compilation of star/director appearances on the big talk shows such as David Letterman, Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, Oprah Winfrey, and so on during their promotional tours.

Thanks for listening.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
My idea appeals to me simply because I am a graphic designer, so the audience for it may be limited, but ...

I would like to see interviews with the designers who work on the movie posters and campaigns. I would like their thoughts oh compiling an entire movie idea into one image. This would interest me on nearly every movie. I remember on the Hannible DVD, the gallery of many of the unused poster concepts, it was great.

I would also like to go more indepth into the marketing of the film. How it was presented to the public, and the different ideas studios use to get the word out about their films.

This information would appeal greatly to me, and hopefully others. DVD's have almost become a film school on disc, so it would be nice to see this aspect that isn't usually covered.

Thanks,

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
Brain-storm time (no idea is to be rejected):

-Recipes for foods eaten in the film
-Travel guides/maps to film locations
-Baby pictures/yearbook pictures of cast members
-Alternate scores for the film. (oops already been done: Legend)
-Documentaries longer than an hour (or allow me to play all featurettes at once)
-Recipes for food eaten on the set
-OAR family films (now that's innovative!)
-Kung Fu lessons
-Documentaries on the work of studio executives
-Tours of the stars' homes
-Title change history with commentary (this would be a good one for "Ecks vs Sever")

Seriously, if it has substance then it is a candidate. Too many extras are just padding or wiz-bang uselessness. I was only semi-joking with the above list; I think I would enjoy all those things.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
A few simple suggestions:

For audio commentaries with multiple participants, I'd really like to see more discs go the route of the Phantom Menace and identify the speaker with a subtitle. It's sometimes difficult to tell who is speaking, and the subtitles give some context.

On a similar note, I really enjoyed the text commentary tracks on Die Hard and Pulp Fiction. Often the problem with commentaries is that the commentary audio doesn't quite cover over the movie audio, and it's easy to get distracted from listening to the participants by the film audio. I found the text tracks easier to watch, since you could still enjoy the film, but with the extra information presented along the way in a "pop up video" style. Interesting to watch.

As for ways to present features, I think that the best way to do so is in clear, concise menus. I got a little frustrated with Harry Potter, and I really can't stand "Easter Egg" features-if a feature is going to be included on a disc, I should be able to find it.

As for new features, I'm really enjoying the discs that are including reviews from the time of release, and I got a kick out of the Academy Awards acceptances on the Godfather DVD (would have loved to have seen Brando's "decline").

One final suggestion for edited together commentaries. On certain films, I'd really like to be able to skip to comments by a certain participant. On Reservoir Dogs for example, I might not be all that interested in the Lighting and Sound people's comments (although there are many that will be), but might want to hear about the writing and production of the film. It would be interesting to be able to select which participant(s) you'd like to hear from a list, and then have the film skip over the bits you're not interested in. This could also help for more "sparse" commentaries on certain discs. I believe that this was done on one of the Heston films already.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I also believe that branching isn't used enough. I'd like to see it become commonplace for deleted scenes to be branched into the film. Also would like to see comprehensive new documentaries on the making of these films. Also love "subtitle" commentaries.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
may I ask if the person posting that concept will be compensated for the idea?
Nobody is trying to take advantage of you.

I am approaching the membership on behalf of
a party that wishes to remain nameless who is
putting thoughts together for a future DVD project.

This party wants to approach you, the membership,
in hopes that something BETTER can be done with a
future DVD release.

If you feel you need to be compensated for
your idea -- don't participate.

Frankly, this party is doing something most others
in the industry do not -- seeking your ideas in
hopes of putting together a very unique DVD Special
Edition.

Keith Helms

Stunt Coordinator
What's up? Are the studios working on a FOURTH release of Men In Black?

Seriously though, it all boils down to the quantity/quality of new features compared to the previous release. I can't think of any whiz-bang method of presenting the extras that would make me buy a disc when I wouldn't buy the exact same features presented a different way. Remember, most extras are just listed on the release data with no information about how the menus are set up, so you don't know how "cool" the navigation is until after you bought the title.

One idea I haven't seen yet: would it be possible to branch off to supplementary material and have it return to the same point in the main feature? It would be neat to be able to select a short "how they did this scene or effect" featurette and then return to where you were viewing.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Re: commentaries

I'm probably in the minority here, but I simply cannot sit through an entire commentary. I find that the speaker is usually just rambling on and killing time, with the odd bit of amusing or informative thing to say. While I'd love to hear the good parts, I'm not going to devote a whole 2 hours to get them.

Maybe there could be a condensed commentary, or provide the option to watch the movie normally but with a little icon that appears on the corner of the screen alerting the viewer that there is something interesting in the commentary accompanying the scene. If the user presses "select" at that time, he hears the commentary. Of course, there would still be an option to watch the movie without the icons at all and maybe with the entire commentary. Or maybe there could be a "commentary menu," which lists which scenes have the good bits.

This is Spinal Tap features a commentary by the actors as the band. This was really funny. Though commentaries are usually meant to be informative, they can also be used as a new piece of entertainment. More films can have commentaries by the characters, not the actors. I know this would be difficult and expensive (you'd basically have to hire the actors for a new performance), but it's an idea.

Also, Galaxy Quest has a commentary in the alien language. Star Trek DVDs could have a Klingon commentary track. Or maybe audio tracks of just the sound effects, just the score, neither, both, etc.

Movies that feature a lot of history, politcs, foreign cultures, or are just old could have glossaries, historical timelines, or new commentaries that explain the terms and context of some things that might help younger viewers get into the film more. For example, I have not purchased the DVD for Elizabeth, but something on there that explains the historical context around the real Queen Elizabeth I might help some people get into the film more. In the same vein, science fiction movies may have a little something to explain some sciene. A featurette that explains gravity on 2001 may be good for some viewers to understand the point of the spinning space station.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Ron it might help if you let us know what type of film this is: A classic, a recent blockbuster, a comedy or a drama?

Different films lend themselves to different supplements.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the opportunity of allowing consumer ideas to reach product developers.
1.Enable user options that explain obscure details in movies. I’m thinking of something like the ability to read (in English) the graffiti in the R1 Akira DVD.
2.More closely tie technical commentary to the actual movie. For example if a DP or director in a commentary discusses a tracking shot, the viewer could select an option that would highlight the point of the commentary, much like NFL commentators use graphics to explain a play.
3.Provide alternate camera and take perspectives that are selectable by the viewer. As a reference point, I’m thinking of something like the DVD of Turandot of the performance in the [I[Forbidden City[/i] in Beijing (but avoid the on screen graphic in the main movie). I suspect that most directors would oppose this, and rightly, but if it were done in the context of why one shot or take was preferred to another, this would be really interesting. I’m also thinking of something along the lines of the Criterion Brazil, with the commentary of the ‘Love Conquers All’ version, which explains the effects of different takes and editing. My idea is a more interactive view of this, where the user can go from the version selected by the director/editor/studio to ones that were rejected.
I think that these ideas are all pretty expensive and time-consuming. But then its not my money—unless that is the ideas become reality and I have to pay the premium for my requests. :D

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I always thought it would be nice if studios included sub-title tracks for running commentaries, this way the hearing impaired would be able to enjoy this extra feature as well.

Also more on screen text notes for the technical aspects of the film. Like say one for the photography that would make note of things like, film speeds, aperture, lighting and various other techniques used for each scene. This would be more geared toward film students I guess, but it seems like it might be a pretty neat idea.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
EDIT:
Please ignore.
The feature I requested has been available for quite some time.
Apparently I've been living under a rock. ;)

Alex S

Second Unit
Here are some of my ideas:

more outakes and screen tests
more features like the dvd-rom feature on Shrek where you could record your voice on different scenes
photos from the movie (on and off camera) that you could not only view on your tv but save onto your computer
tours of the movie sets by the actors or directors
video from when the director first meets with all of the actors and he goes over what he is looking for and they bounce ideas off each other on how they see their characters
more and longer features with the make-up artists and costume designers
with animated films have the artists show how to draw each character in the film
hidden camera video from the actress's dressing rooms
(a guy can dream can't he ? :) )

James Reader

Screenwriter
How about a feature on the creation of the trailer(s). Show and tell why each shot was chosen and possibly show early rejected edits of the trailer. I like how the Death to Smoochy DVD has two unused trailers on it.

Also, if the film warranted it; namely a comedy or family film; how about having a commentary on the trailers from the films main characters IN CHARACTER?

I think that could be quite fun to hear - say - Stuart Little commentating on his trailer etc.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
How about they ditch the region-coding?
I second this. For example, another region, R2 I believe, has an anamorphic MRS. DOUBTFIRE. I should be able to buy that and play it here, instead of being 'stuck' having to buy the non-anamorphic, (something I can't believe for a SE).

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
One of the cool features (with not much practical use) I would like to see on DVDs is the ability to replay the audio track by isolating individual channels...for instance watching with only the LFE (or rear, or left, etc.)channel playing. Sure you can unplug the speakers to accomplish this...but this makes it much easier to "educate" the uninitiated to the benefits of discrete audio channels and an opportunity to hear the audio details when further evaluating the film.

I also like the isolated effects track available on Monsters, Inc. Again, another opportunity to listen to the details...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks