What's new

DVD Review HTF Reviewers Pick: Their FAVORITE DVD Releases Of 2004 (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Not if you're discussing the best DVDs. I run my own Top Ten list on my site, and I constantly try to balance good quality movie with high quality DVD. Extras play a big part in that. I've not picked a single-disc release for my year-end Top Ten since 2000; if a package is going to be considered among the best of the year, it needs a good roster of extras.

I'll gladly recommend great movies that're so-so DVDs. However, I'd never put them on a Top Ten. Actually, I started a little addendum on my monthly Top Tens last year so I could mention DVDs I highly recommend but that never made the Top Ten due to technical issues. For example, I'd push things like the "SCTV" sets - they're way too ugly to make the Top Ten, but I still highly recommend them.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

The film counts 100% towards the part of my reviews where I review the film. The video counts 100% towards the part of my reviews where I review the video. The audio counts 100% towards the part of my reviews where I review the audio. The extra features count 100% towards the part of my reviews where I review the extra features.

The idea of rating a disc as a total package, taking all of that into account -- what this thread is for -- is just too subjective to split into worthwhile percentages. That's why my reviews are broken down into sections -- so that the reader can use his own judgment. The film is obviously the most important factor to consider when making a purchase decision, but these top 10 lists are entirely subjective. They're an unscientific discussion of discs that combine good content with good presentation.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Aaron,

My question to you is (in your opinion)what percent of the value of any DVD comes from the film and film presentation (combined)?

All,

I don't know that many reviewers want to share the answer to that question.

The ramifications are that it exposes what value they truly assign to "extras." Also, (even in new math) there is only one pie (equalling 100 percent) thus if they assign the film and film presentation a high percent of the pie it leaves little value left for extras. Thus when they review a film's first DVD release, and then the next DVD release and then the ultimate DVD release guess what ... the small percent special features warranted does not increase thus making the piled higher and deeper releases ... not all that special (assuming picture and audio did not improve).

The alternative is that the reviewer truly believes that special features are a "big part" of the value of the DVD like Colin does.

If that's his opinion he is entitled to it. I just don't wish to debate that point. Much like I don't wish to debate that the value of real estate is not about location. ;)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Ron said (on the first page of this thread):

Can we, huh, can we, pleeeease?!! :b
I was enjoying this until it turned into a battle over a "piece of the pie". I just want to read about their favorite DVD's. No rant, just asking a question in general.:)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member

And with that answer, Aaron has articulately answered all of rich_d's questions and concerns in my opinion, and there is no need to belabor the point.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

In other words, my answer to Rich's questions counts 100% towards the part of my post where I answer Rich's questions. :D

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
When Aaron chimed in to my questions addressed to Michael. I let that be the last word.

After Michael didn't answer any of my questions when responding 9 days later ... I let him have the last word.

Then after another five days, JonZ raises questions on a dead thread ... and no, I didn't let it go.

Ron requested that we go easy on picking on reviewers for picking "favorite" DVDs when he initially labeled the thread "top" DVDs. But Michael's list clearly stated that his was a top DVD list or I would have left him alone.

If a reviewer is going to critically assess DVDs he or she better expect critical feedback. It goes with the territory. If they have a problem with that they are in the wrong vocation.

However, to be fair, since I did finally respond I should at least answer the one question that Michael posed to me:

Simple. If you want to broaden your list drop the unnecessary and unrequested restriction of DVDs from studios you review for. That will broaden it in a heartbeat! If you want to make a list of little acknowledged DVDs I'd be all for it. But why go back to the list of titles you've already commented on here at HTF? Plus picking exclusively from studios that provide you screeners gives a bad impression. One that I'm sure you don't want to give.

Best of luck with your future reviews.

Someone/anyone can have the last word.

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
My Fourth Annual Amazing Colossal DVD of the Year Award®, sponsored by La-Z-Boy™ recliners, Jolly Time™ popcorn, Diet Pepsi Twist™, and the missus©, who is all too good-natured about her husband’s film obsession.

First, the ground rules: there aren’t any, except that I look for a combination of a really, really special package wrapped around a film that deserves the treatment. I pretend that only one of the year’s DVD releases could be placed in a time capsule for hundreds of years, or shot into space for the li’l bitty space aliens to watch when they’re not listening to Chuck Berry. What DVD would I choose? Here are the previous years’ selections:

2001: SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (Disney)
2002: CITIZEN KANE (Warners)
2003: THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (Warners)

All great films, all impeccably packaged with wonderful extras. As far as I’m concerned, these should be the first three DVDs anybody owns, unless they are, say, a Baldwin brother, in which case they’ll probably want to own, oh, THE SHADOW. But I don’t write for Baldwin brothers, now, do I?

Enough stalling; the Fourth Annual Amazing Colossal DVD of the Year Award® hereby is presented to Criterion for Jean Renoir’s 1939 classic THE RULES OF THE GAME, a brilliant film brilliantly presented and a disc for the ages.

Honorable mentions for this year includes great Warners TARZAN, LOONEY TUNES, MARX BROTHERS, and FILM NOIR collections and for special editions of GONE WITH THE WIND and MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (if I ever run into the guy responsible for Warners’ releases, I’m going to walk right up to him and kiss him on the lips), Criterion for EYES WITHOUT A FACE and LE CORBEAU, Disney for the DISNEY TREASURES series and ALADDIN, VCI for ROBINSON CRUSOE and for an often overlooked serial but a great one, THE MIRACLE RIDER with Tom Mix. Speaking of serials, somebody should mention (so I will) a couple of websites that have done very, very impressive work in restoring all-but-lost masterworks. First, inkwellimagesink.com offers great collections of Max Fleischer OUT OF THE INKWELL cartoons starring KoKo the Clown. Next, serialsquadron.com has issued the first of an intended series of 1916 BEATRICE FAIRFAX shorts; Beatrice was the Ann Landers of her day, and each serial episode is a dramatization of a situation suggested by one of her “Letters from the Lovelorn”. The disc includes a surprising amount of bonus material, including vocalizations of popular Beatrice Fairfax songs of the day. Highly enjoyable.

Finally, kudos to MGM for their Midnite Movies series and to DVD UK Ltd. for their Arkoff Vaults titles (region 2); both made a wealth of cult favorites of the ‘50s and ‘60s available at very low prices for fans. Particular mention to the Arkoff Vault release of THE COOL AND THE CRAZY and MACHINE GUN KELLY, great slices of 1950s punk/thug drama.

And now, we turn to the Dark Side of DVD offerings, in which yours truly singles out the single worst DVD release of the year, and for 2004 there was no competition whatsoever: a hiss-boo-bah! goes to Artisan/Hallmark/Lions Gate, who cannot hide behind a mask of multiple names. They deserve nothing but scorn, raspberries, and badly, badly overripe fruit for their LAUREL & HARDY collection. While England, Belgium, France, and Germany offer gorgeously restored and remastered Stan & Ollie masterpieces, here in the U.S. we get a half-assed collection of TV prints with missing scenes, added music, added fade-outs where extra commercials went, and all from 20-year-old video masters. It’s enough to make you give up buying Hallmark cards (I know I have). The Laurel & Hardy films from Europe are reason enough to purchase an all-region player. (By the way, the Artisan L&H disc was re-released this year, which is why it gets my Bronx cheer two years in a row. Congrats, Artisan.)

All in all, a great year for classic releases on DVD, with lots of good stuff planned for 2005.

I love how the publishing of lists always seems to bring out the nit-picker in people :) There will never, ever be a definitive list of anything, because nobody will ever agree on anything, one-hundred-percent. I enjoy lists for the simple reason that it's fun to see what someone else liked.

If I took lists too seriously, my head would explode every time Rolling Stone compiled one.

Getting upset at a reviewer for limiting the scope of his list to DVDs he's actually SEEN is a little wrong-minded, I think. These guys have a lot of product to review, in a very thorough manner...it's forgivable that they didn't have time to watch every DVD released in a given year, I think. If I compiled a list of my favorite DVDs from 2004, would it be invalid simply because I didn't see EVERY DVD released in 2004? I don't think so...because the list is MY favorites.

I've been on the receiving end of criticism due to reviews and lists...so I know what it's like. Reviewing product sometimes seems like a sort of thankless job, though you're actually trying to do consumers a favor.

As for me, it was all about:

1. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Extended
2. Shrek 2
3. Clerks X: Anniversary Edition
4. Spider-Man 2
5. Open Range

It's a mix of how much I enjoyed a movie, plus extras on top of that. Return of the King Extended would be at the top of the heap regardless of the appendices.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Originally posted by Michael Osadciw:

Forget the criticism and forget the technicalities - and it doesn't matter what religion you believe in or not; this movie depicts the last few hours of Christ as he gives himself up to the brutality of mankind.

I promise I don't want to start a fight, but as a non-theist, these types of off-the-cuff assertions from theists (all too common in regards to this specific film) really chap my ass. Unless you are a non-Christian, I'd kindly entreat you to leave your "doesn't matter" theories by the wayside. How can a movie with this much of a fundamentalist agenda not matter in regards to the belief systems of its viewers?!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I discussed that issue with Mike a little bit at the LA meet. I think what he's trying to say is not so much that you should ignore the film's agenda, but that you should try to avoid letting your opinion of its politics and religion detract from your appreciation of its qualities as a film and as a story. Not saying that you have to like the film, of course; just that you don't have to agree with it to appreciate it.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
If so, it's a valid point, but also if so, he used poor phrasing. No biggie, I'm a big boy and can handle points of view other than my own, but if I hear one more person say, "It doesn't matter what you believe, this is a great film!" without any further specificity or clarification of what us non-Christians will find to be so great about it, I'll...well, just stay cranky, I guess...he he...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
One of these days I'll rent it and find out for myself. I have it scheduled for the next time Sony goes a month with no new releases. ;) (Of course, I have every other non-Sony title on my list scheduled for then too, so it may be a tight squeeze.)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Why do people go SO off the deep end with reviews that they don't agree with? Where does it say that the review MUST conform to your set of standards?

I have to give props to those who put the Star Wars Trilogy in their list :emoji_thumbsup: It blows my mind how AWESOME a film is that it makes the top 5 lists, while containing lines (in the review) that say: What other film can come under such criticism, have people in an uproar about technical glitches, and still make peoples top 10 lists. :)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I think the best thing about this year's best DVD releases is the fact most of the DVD software manufacturers DID take heart on what New Line did with their ground-breaking Lord of the Rings Extended Edition releases and improved their own DVD releases to better take advantage of the DVD format and to cater to more serious DVD collectors. :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Same quote, different movie. (Star Wars: Episode III)

The difference here is fiction vs. religious fiction or fact - depending on what side one is on. This movie was included in my DVD top ten and is rated just as a movie and its entertainment value. Just leave it at that. :)

-Mike-

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks