What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Y tu mamá también" (unrated) (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
Ron:
If you send me your copy, I will listen to the Spanish commentary and will provide you with an update for your review :D
Jokingly serious :b
JC

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
When DVDs came out in 97, I told my (mostly spanish speaking) wife that DVDs would be available with up to 8 language tracks (anyone remember that?). Now, with roughly 400 DVDs, only about half have a spanish language track or spanish subtitles. I'm sure she'll be quite happy (and probably feel vindicated) that Y Tu Mama Tambien's audio commentary is in spanish without english subtitles. Nonetheless, we're both looking forward to see this movie when it arrives from Netflix on Saturday.

Thanks for the review Ron.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This is in my Top 3 films that I've seen this year. You might go in for the "obvious" plot setup of the film (2 boys on a road trip with a hot, slightly older woman), but by the end of the film, you come out with so much more. All around, just a well made film with a very good screenplay.

Believe it or not, it strikes the same chord as "Dirty Dancing" did for its fans in the late 80's. Once you see it, you'll know what I mean.

I'm bummed that the comentary track wasn't subtitled, and I haven't decided if I want to hunt down the R2 version of the DVD. I did buy the R1 version today, and if I get the urge for the R2, I'll get it, and give my R1 disc away later.

Jackson Catts

Auditioning
I'm bummed that the comentary track wasn't subtitled, and I haven't decided if I want to hunt down the R2 version of the DVD. I did buy the R1 version today, and if I get the urge for the R2, I'll get it, and give my R1 disc away later.
Perhaps someone who is fluent in Spanish can translate the commentary track and put the script on the HTF. However, the translation is not official and will violate copyright law.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Great movie, still the best movie I've seen this year. Anyone know if the extras are different than the 2 Disc Charolastra edition released in Mexico? (other than English subtitles of course)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I've run through every possible permutation between my player and the disc to try and unlock English subtitles on the commentary. Unfortunately, it's been an exercise in futility.

The maddening thing is that in the menu selections, once the commentary is chosen, the ability to activate English subtitles on the commentary is listed (ON/OFF). However, despite several attempts, the only subtitles that appear are for the film itself. Based on this, looks like a snafu.

Would have been fun to listen to the principal cast get it on. Sounds like they're having a grand time. Unless there is a fix, I'm going to skip the pond to double-dip for R2. Well worth it. Plus I like the cover art for the R2 edition.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Doesn't someone have a transcript of UK version commentary? I don't need one since I'm pretty fluent, but it would be nice for you gringos. :D

Gavin_L

Second Unit
wow Ron wonderful review, one of the last times i bought a dvd you really recommended, that was Summer of 42' and i loved that film, one of my all time faves. Think i'll have to give this movie a chance too and buy it.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Excellent Film. One of my favorites from the past year. I'm a little short of cash right now but I'll pick it up soon!

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I went to Best Buy and they are basically hiding this DVD in the back and not putting it on the New Release shelf. Damn shame.

Ron, have you seen Amores Perros? The first segment is on par with Y Tu Mama Tambien, and it stars Gael García Bernal also.

Cliff C

Grip
Does anyone know if the Canadian Version contains any of the extras? I was in Futureshop today and the back of the dvd didn't list any special features...plus it said the audio was spanish 2.0!

Did anyone pick this up in Canada?

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
Just caught this movie today and loved it. Too bad American filmakers make such films as American Pie and not a masterpiece like Y tu Mamma Tambien. I went to Blockbuster to rent it, and guess what? They had the unrated widescreen version! Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones fortunate enough to have a good blockbuster around here.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I saw the Unrated at our BB too (there goes Warner's allegations that BB doesn't carry Unrated).
Ron CHECK OUT AMORES PERROS!! Post-haste! :D

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Nice review, Ron.
You should see Amores Perros (AKA Love's A Bitch) too, though. Maybe not as well-balanced as Y Tu Mamá Tambien, but still a great little foreign flick.
I think I'll opt for the R2 version of Y Tu Mamá Tambien: although I don't listen to commentary tracks very often, I just can't stand a stupid thing like an unsubtitled Spanish commentary....
Does anyone know if the Canadian Version contains any of the extras?
To my knowledge there are two versions available. The Alliance (Universal?) version is bare-bones and DD 2.0; The MGM version, which was released last tuesday, is the S.E. and the one you should get.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I picked this one up yesterday. What a beautiful and refreshingly honest movie! As Michael Ballack said, too bad there aren't more teen movies like this instead of the gross out comedies.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Is it just me or does anyone think that the dialog is recorded at an absurdly low level? I'm a native Spanish-speaker who has no trouble with Mexican street slang but I had to turn on the subtitles -- which I usually do on all movies -- and turn it up to near reference levels to get what Tenoch, Julio and Saba were saying to each other.

Otherwise a great DVD.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Ron:
I will also highly recommend you to check out AMORES PERROS. I think that movie will surprise you in a major way as well. Much darker than Y tu mama tambien but an amazing movie.
And it has a great Making-Off as well :). You are definetelly right about the making-off on the American DVD's are very self-promoting.
The Mexican films off the last couple of years have really been genuine gems. Hope to see a lot more soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks