What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Why We Fight (RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
11 attacks. Consideration of their cause and their macro effects is saved for later, though, as we are first introduced to Wilton Sekzer, a retired New York cop and Vietnam veteran who lost a son in the World Trade Center. Over the course of the film, we see how Sekzer’s grief manifested itself first as a hunger for revenge, then later as disillusionment and disappointment when he realized that the war begun ostensibly as a response to the attacks is perhaps a different animal altogether._ _ Sekzer is not a political man. He’s not a commentator or a college professor. His reactions are visceral, although at the time of his interviews for this film he is discussing them with calm hindsight. Home movies of his late son as a child are a gut punch that reminds the viewer to always bear in mind that global events and overseas conflicts exist in the same world as the guy on the subway and the family in the park. And this is key to Jarecki’s basic intent – to make people take an interest in what’s happening in their world and think about ways they can affect it._ _ Juxtaposed with Sekzer’s tale are similar stories from Iraqis who lost loved ones in the bombing of Baghdad. Their anger and desire for revenge sound strikingly familiar. This is tied into the discussion of the Military-Industrial Complex via an examination of the “smart bombs” used in precision airstrikes. These new weapons, guided by lasers and by satellite GPS, provide a level of accuracy far beyond that achieved by any of their predecessors. In World War II and other conflicts, a fleet of planes would drop massive amounts of munitions on an area that included the actual target. Today, a handful of smart bombs can be aimed like small-arms fire. However, they are not perfect. A bomb that misses its intended target by 50 feet instead of 500 will still demolish whatever sits at the point of impact, whether it’s a tank or a house full of civilians. When the target is in a crowded city like Baghdad, collateral damage is unavoidable. Does the military put too much trust in high-tech munitions

ErichH

Screenwriter
Thanks Aaron

Caught this a few times online, but I will own the DVD for the extras. One of the better docs in years.

E

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just watched this the other night.

I'm going to be very careful to keep my political opinion
out of this thread, but let me say that this was an "eye opener."

Every American should be mandated to watch this film.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

If you liked the film, then buying the disc for the extras is a no-brainer. They're well worth it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I welcome everyone's opinions about the film, but let's make an extra effort to keep the thread civil since the subject matter is so political. Thanks!

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I know film can manipulate, but after seeing this, I am more than a little sad. That's all I will say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks