DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Whispers in the Dark

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Kimball, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

May 8, 2000
    Whispers in the Dark

Studio: Paramount

Year: 1992

Rated: R

Length: 101 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1

Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1

English subtitles; Closed Captioned in English

Special Features: None

SRP: $14.99 USD

Release Date: September 7, 2004

New York psychiatrist Ann Hecker (Annabella Sciorra) is plagued by haunting, erotic dreams inspired by the confessions of a patient. She is also in a failing relationship with an alcoholic. Troubled by the state of her life, she seeks help from her college mentor, Dr. Leo Green (Alan Alda).

By chance (?), Ann meets a ruggedly handsome pilot, Doug McDowell (Jamey Sheridan), whose attentions spark an affair that seems to put an end to all of her problems.

When one of Ann’s patients turns up dead, and with evidence pointing to Doug as a suspect, Ann’s life starts spiraling out of control. With a dangerous patient with a history of violence, her boyfriend who she doesn’t really know, and a cop she can’t trust, she has nowhere to turn.

There are many twists and turns in this Hitchcock-like thriller from Christopher Crowe. While the film may take one implausible turn too many, it’s still an enjoyable ride. Sciorra is great as the troubled doctor, and the supporting roles are well handled. The film also stars Anthony LePaglia, John Leguizamo, Jill Clayburgh and Deborah Unger.

Presented in an aspect ratio of 1.85:1, the image presented has a moderately sharp picture, though some scenes appear sharper and more defined than others. There are no overt artifacts due to sharpening or compression. Colors are generally in warm hued palettes and are accurately saturated.

Contrast is good, and there is good detail in the shadows, while the image displays strong black levels.

There is mild grain in the picture, apparently from the original elements.

The Dolby Digital 5.1 English track affords a nice sense of space, and has good frequency response. Bass levels are average in strength, and are clean. Dialog is consistently clean and clear, and always pinned front and center.

Occasional ambient effects are presented through the surrounds, as are mild reverb effects in the music, but the surround effects rarely call attention to themselves.

There’s nothing bad about the mix, but it isn’t great demo material, either.

Final Thoughts
    I enjoyed this thriller, and have always enjoyed Annabella Sciorra. Some good performances and a twisty, sexy script should keep you entertained. The transfer is average.
  2. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

Sep 6, 2004
    by any chance would you know if paramount used the R rated cut for the DVD, or the unrated cut? The Laserdisc, which first came out as R, later reissued it with a unrated directors cut, which contained more nudity. I am curious if I should still hang on to my Laserdisc on this one. thanks!