What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Warner Brothers Gangster Collection (VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Jason, you can get the movies individually. Please check the current Weekly Roundup thread in the Coupons and Bargains section for price comparisons.

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
What a relief - after the sterling comments by misters Kane and Harris, I know that I will be able to get my mitts on these wonderful films and glory in them for hours on end - I'm particularly looking forward to ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES, my favourite gangster movie of them all - I saw OUT WHERE THE STARS BEGIN at the London Film Festival a few years ago when it was part of a programme of restored Warner Technicolor titles - what a wonderful bonus, especially for us Michael Curtiz devotees!

Weirdly, here in the UK for of these titles are being re-packaged as a Cagney box set and the other two are being sold separately!

Of course, another Cagney box set would be great, especially if it included LADY KILLER, BLONDE CRAZY, BOY MEETS GIRL and the sublime STRAWBERRY BLONDE- here's hoping!

Sergio

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I am on my way to costco to pick this up for a bit over $40.

My only complaint is I only have a 5 disc changer :D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Can Racketeer Rabbit be had on DVD? While we're at it, what about that classic cartoon with all the celebrities gathered in the nightclub? This is the one with the girl doing the bubble dance, and Peter Lorre says, "I haven't seen a bubble that beautiful since I was a child." Also, I think they have Hoover and his G-Men saying, "Gee. Gee! GEE!"

dave wright

Agent
Real Name
Dave Wright
yes,tho i dont recall the name of the night club cartoon,its included on the WB vol 2 cartoon set.Cant wait to get ahold of the gangster set,it may well be the classic release of the year.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

There was a period of about 2-3 months during late 2003 when I was really frustrated with DVDPlanet. Many of my orders were delayed for no reason and they even shipped me the wrong titles a few times. But since then they have gotten their act together and I haven't had any problems for the last year or so.

Most pre-ordered titles have arrived on or before the release date (in fact the 2 Criterion titles due next week have already shipped a week before release date :emoji_thumbsup: ). It seems that DVDEmpire, Amazon and others haven't shipped the Gangster boxset either and so it appears to be more of a Warner problem than a DVDPlanet problem.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Yeah, so I go over to Best Buy after work to get Batman and the WB Gangster films.

The Gangster box set is not discounted at all. Nearly full retail $64.99.

So, my total, even after using the $10 off card I got for Christmas?

$99

I politely said "no thanks, I thought this would be on sale" and left them there.

I get home and order them online from amazon.com.

$79 after shipping.

I can wait a few days to save $30 ($20 plus my $10 gift card). That's practically like getting Batman for free!

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
Herb,
Thanks for the review. Can you (or anyone who knows) comment on the scenes that were re-inserted into "The Public Enemy" after having been censored during the 1930's?

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator
Brilliant review Herb. I've been waiting quite a long time for this set!!!!!

Thanks for the blurb on the restored scenes, Mark; I wasn't aware of those cuts before.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I was also a little disappointed that Best Buy was charging $64.99 for the set - I'd expected less. I still picked it up because even at that price you're getting each movie for less than eleven bucks. That ain't bad for special editions of movies I really wanted. Besides, it's a long drive to BB from where I live. :)

I'm very pleased with the set. :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

That's correct, it's either a distribution problem or Warner underestimated the demand for this boxset.

JerryK

Agent
very nice review!!

I pre-ordered my gangsters collection from Amazon. I panicked when I saw that it's currently on "special order", but when I checked my order status I saw that it shipped 01/25, I guess I got lucky and ordered mine before they sold out. What's up with BestBuy charging $65?? I agree, I'd rather wait a few days and save $20. I also pre-ordered so I wouldn't have to race over to BestBuy after work and find out that they were sold out. I cannot wait for this set to show up!!

peace!!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Barnes&Noble.com has it in stock, and is only charging $49.

A bargain for a magnificent set of 6 masterpieces, stunningly remastered with gobs of extras. This is such a great set. Glad I got mine early.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

You're rationalizing. Being a long drive from BB is just another reason not to go. Once there, it's still the same long drive home regardless of your decision. You just impulsively decided to make that drive home with 20 less bucks in your pocket. ;)

Note to others: Costco is selling it for $40.99.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Got the set, watched Angels with Dirty Faces last night (for the first time, I've never seen it before).

It is amazing! Absolutely gripping, taut, and emotionally heart-rending, with superb performances by Cagney, Pat O'Brien and the Dead End kids, and Humphrey Bogart too!

The story is surprisingly rich, revolving around the friendship of the two boys/men, and how their lives are reflected in each other. Though Cagney is a gangster/killer, he has assumed the role of hero in the eyes of the teenagers in the neighborhood, and he seems to take their moral growth very seriously, as seriously as their priest played by O'Brien.

The movie itself is very fluid and shot with great style, but with economy -- there's not a single distracting angle or "flat" stagy scene. Michael Curtiz was indeed, hugely underrated (though he made Casablanca).

The ending is as surprising and gripping as any movie I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks