What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Goofy" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screens (1 Viewer)

Jedrek

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome review, Ron, just finished reading it. Looks like a great set - I hope I can find these sets in my neck of the woods for a fair price. :emoji_thumbsup:

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
Will we ever see these sets in Region 2?

I may have to start a thread on this in the other forum, but I thought I'd just take the opportunity to ask here. Goofy would definitely be on my list.

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator

I would, if it weren't for the fact that non-anormophic NTSC transfers show noticeable scan-lines on my television set (or any non-progressive PAL set, for that matter) which is why I prefer the higher-resolution PAL.

Daniel Schenk

Stunt Coordinator
I never noticed what you describe on my TV Set and i live in Switzerland too. My Disney Treasures are looking very good and there`s really no reason to wait for a R2 release.
BTW, Amazon already shipped my Treasures!! :D

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator

Daniel, how large is your TV screen? At about 70 inches, you definitely notice the scan lines. And it isn't just my set - I've seen it on several TVs running R1 discs. It's also a matter of taste, of course.

I've viewed the Silly Symphonies set previously, and I love the care that's been taken with them, but with so many DVDs out there contending for my money, I need to know that what I'm getting is the best possible version in order to justify a purchase.

Also, I sometimes have to wonder at the logic behind the strategy of large distributors like Disney and MGM. They are the ones who insisted on the region system in the first place, but then they hold back on a whole range of titles when it comes to R2.

In this case, I would expect the market for these collections to be just as large in Europe as in the US, since the films in question are known throughout the world.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Quote:

"ps. It's not really the complete Goofy methinks, he did co-star in other Mickey and Donald cartoon shorts and I think a few more shorts with just him, I'm not sure.."

The shorts in which Goofy co-starred with Mickey (or Donald) are or will probably be covered in the Mickey (and hopefully Donald) sets. Otherwise there would be a lot of overlap between the different Treasures sets. I think it's perfectly reasonable to let the "Complete Goofy" set include just the Goofy shorts (the ones released with Goofy title cards). That hardly makes the set any less "complete", IMO.

There were a few more Goofy films (most of them quite a bit longer than these "classic" shorts) in the 1960s and later, but this collection supposedly covers all Goofy shorts from the "classic" years.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Quote:

"Each (and you forgot to mention Silly Symphonies) can be had for around 20 bucks. Not a lot for having something priceless."

Everyone will have to make his own priorities, of course. But I'd agree - these sets are both priceless and cheap.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Quote:
"As for Goofy vs Pluto, that's exactly the subject of one of the great unanswered questions my high school English teacher always asks. "If Pluto is Mickey's pet, then how come Mickey's friend Goofy, who is also a dog, can walk and talk and drive a car?" Another question he tends to ask is, "If Donald Duck doesn't wear any pants, then why does he put a towel around his waist when he gets out of the shower?"
We may never know."
I used to ask myself the same things. But these are among the big questions of life that I've learnt to live with. ;)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Question for Ronald Epstein:
I have a question Ron, does the set also include the Goofy short where he buys exercise equipment and goes haywire with it? BTW, does it also explain Goofy's famous yell when he falls long distances? The one that goes YAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOHHHOOOO :)

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I'm not Ron, but I think I know a bit about Disney shorts. The "Goofy short where he buys exercise equipment and goes haywire with it" is probably "Goofy Gymnastics", and it should be included in the set (which I'm just about to order, by the way).

ElijahJ

Auditioning
Has anyone else had a hard time trying to get The Complete Goofy DVD? I have found and purchased the Behind The Scenes and Mickey Mouse Black & White, but none of the stores are carrying the Goofy one. I was just wondering if there was something that I don't know.

J

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
My local Costco had plenty of all three, plus some boxes of last years' sets. One thing I found curious was the spread in the serial #'s. The first ones I picked out were in the 30000's or higher (out of 125000), but after poking around a bit I got a 003000-ish for Mickey B&W and a 004000-ish for Goofy.

David

Matt Hetzler

Stunt Coordinator
I had a very hard time finding the Complete Goofy as well. Best Buy didn't have any, but they did have the other 2 Treasures. Media Play had only the Mickey Mouse one. Circuit City and Walmart had none of them.

I was finally able to track down all 3 treasures at the Disney Store. They had all of them for $24.99 each, compared to $30.99 at Best Buy!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I also had a problem finding the Disney Treasures today.
Went to Sams-NOPE went to Circuit City-NOPE...so I finally had to go to WOW! store, thinking I was going to pay alot more.
Which I didn't really mind since I got tired of running all over the place.
But they had the Disney Treasures for $23.99 each.
NOT TO BAD!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If Pluto is Mickey's pet, then how come Mickey's friend Goofy, who is also a dog, can walk and talk and drive a car?
That's easy. Goofy isn't just "a dog". He's a Dingo. Which means:
(1) He's from another part of the world
(2) All his logic is upside-down ("down under"). :)
Great review, Ron! As always. And thanks for that, the set is already heading my wayhas arrived here with two others.
Cees

David Susilo

Screenwriter
My major disappointment is that I can't seem to play ALL the shorts automatically without going back to the main menu and choose title by title. Now how am I supposed to play the entire disc from beginning to the end without fumbling through the remote every (approx) 8 minutes.

Anyone knows how how to play all the shorts without going back to the menu?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks