What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Vanilla Sky" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
During the commentary Crowe mentions a gag reel on the DVD, and there are credits for it in the credits section. I can't find it anywhere. Anybody know if it's there and where it is on the disc?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm surprised that this film has so many detractors here, but to each his own. This was one of my top faves from last year. It was probably a tie w/ Moulin Rouge. I picked it up immediately on release day and can't wait to see it again. I prefer this version slightly over the original, but I'm not sure why. I also love all of the songs used in the movie and didn't find them out of place at all, maybe it's because I love all of the artists that Crowe chose, especially Radiohead.

The Gag Reel in hidden in Photo Gallery Section.

There is a Framed Picture off to the side. Select it and the gag reel will play.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I do like Vanilla Sky. I am very fond of Open Yours Eyes it must be said, but I find that one movie can explore something better than the other and vice versa.

I like Crowe's approach to calling Vanilla Sky a "cover version". I think both films have a lot to offer frankly and can co-exist as seperate entities sharing the same soul. Vanilla Sky is also a VERY nice DVD, lovely transfer and menus. Verry happy with the disc.

Dan

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Doesn't surprise me that the reviewers panned this movie to a great extent. ie. its not European, and they probably guessed wrong. This one's probably going to be a bit of a cult classic down the line due to the hidden entendres, etc. Save your local reviews of this one. It will probably be another Blade Runner, where almost every reviewer and his/her brother couldn't stand it - but then put it on their decades "best" list years later. Don't believe me - check out back issues of your local papers on backissue.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Horrid, pretentious dung. I love mind f*cks like Mulholland Drive but this one featured characters that I hardly cared for. The ending was a letdown, why explain it in layman's terms????????? Boring. Nothing challenging about this picture.:angry:

MatS

Screenwriter
During the commentary Crowe mentions a gag reel on the DVD, and there are credits for it in the credits section. I can't find it anywhere. Anybody know if it's there and where it is on the disc?
Vanilla Sky dvd = the gag reel

ps. even though I just contributed, why is there so much discussion of this movie in the software thread, should this not be done in the movies section?

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Gee Mat, thanks a lot. :frowning: (Thanks Frank for the info.)
I'd seen Abre los ojos before seeing Vanilla Sky, so it didn't surprise me at all that some of the reviews and audience reactions were highly negative. I certainly don't think Crowe has made a great film, but it's an interesting riff on Amenabar's picture.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Got a chance to watch it on Friday. Wow....what a movie! :emoji_thumbsup: I wasn't sure what to expect, but I came out of it really liking it.
The picture was great througout, although a little soft during certain parts. The sound was good.
Penelope Cruz was excellent.
I'm going to have to watch this one again. :)
Jon

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
I personally thought the movie was awesome when I first saw it. It had a very good twist at the end that I was just not expecting and I walked out of the theater wanting to see it again right away. I don't really understand some of the comments that it was too confusing since it pretty much explains EVERYTHING that happens at the end. I'm definitely picking this one up when it's released. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I rented this last night and all I can say is Wow! I couldn't disagree more with Ron's review here. I thought it was a fantastic film and it had me glued to the screen the entire time. I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan but I thought he was excellent in the film. I also did not find it confusing to follow at all. It's a very Kubrickian(for lack of a better terminology) cerebral Sci-Fi film.
I'll go a step further and state that I think Vanilla Sky was one of the best films of 2001 and I'm sorry I missed the theatrical run. With Almost Famous and now this film Cameron Crowe is fast becoming one of my favorite present day Directors.
Judging from Ron's and some other opinions it looks like this is going to be one of THOSE films. THOSE films meaning of the extreme Love it/Hate it variety. Now because of this I would not recommend buying it sight unseen. However you are doing yourself a disservice if you avoid seeing this wonderful film because of this negative review.
The payoff you can get is worth the price of a rental at least. You have a 50/50 shot at loving this film.
Vanilla Sky :star: :star: :star: :star:

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as one who has to strongly disagree with Ron's review. I really enjoyed this film immensely!
Tom Cruise turns in a superb acting performance, as does Penelope Cruz.
I don't understand why Ron thinks this film was boring. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen!
Excellent movie! Excellent DVD too!
:emoji_thumbsup:

DevinM

Auditioning
I absolutely adored this film. I saw Abre Los Ojos just a few days before purchasing Vanilla Sky, and found Vanilla Sky to be a vastly superior film. Let me offer my reasons.

Vanilla Sky is a sentimental film for sentimentalists. Period. Penelope and Tom's relationship perfectly illustrates the euphoria of meeting someone new. Cameron Crowe's sentimental nature puts this at the forefront of the story, where I felt in Abre Los Ojos it was simply a device to move the plot along.

Independent to Vanilla Sky was the theme of pop culture and how it affects our lives. This theme is prevalent in ALL of Crowe's films, but it is most obvious and well illustrated in Vanilla Sky. Being financially lucky, Tom's character turned his free time to art. The music he listened to, the movies he watched, even the paintings and album covers he saw shaped his relationships with other people, and what he looked for in life. In his fast paced life, people may have come and gone but art has always been with him. And at the end of the film, images of pop culture flash before him as much as do news items and family movies.
The film will appeal to any real lover of art, particularly music and film.

Like Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower, some covers surpass the original. Amenabar wrote an excellent science fiction story, but Crowe made a meditation on life and love. Those who want a clever thriller turn to Amenabar's film, it is much tighter in that regard. But those who want a phenominally crafted examination of the aforementioned themes, seek out Vanilla Sky. The DVD sports excellent audio and visual transfers, and the commentary by Crowe is the perfect suppliment.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
I believe I'm the odd man out here, as I enjoyed the movie, but didn't love it as much as some Forum members. However, I would absolutely recommend to anyone as a rental, and give the film a B-.

The disc itself has a stunning picture quality that's a joy to watch. The audio is perfectly mixed, with dialogue, bass and surrounds coming together at just the right levels for you to appreciate the film.

Bill Crosthwait

Second Unit
I loved this movie...I am the type of person that loves my mind being F'ed with. I highly recommend this movie. BTW Paramount did an excellent job in making this DVD.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Interesting... I too, LOVED the Film. Thought it was BADLY marketed though. It was more like Jacob's Ladder than what you would expect from A Crowe/Cruise collaboration.
I got the DVD recently and I have tried to entice a few people over to watch it and the majority say, "Oh, I heard that was AWFUL." And then I say, "Where'd you hear that?" and they say, "I don't know, I just heard it was awful." And I say, "Do you know anyone personally who saw it?" and they say "No, I just heard it was awful."
So I tried to track down the origin of this negative buzz, and believe it or not, it's the damn CRITICS! (Rotten Tomatoes comes in handy...)
Now if the critics don't like something, fine. Everyone has his own opinion. But most of them claim, "I didn't understand it. I was CONFUSED." Now I'm sorry, but if you were still confused AFTER the end, either all you ever watch is a typical mindless Hollywood "everything spelled out for you 5X" blockbuster or you are just a .... The audience is SUPPOSSED to be confused during the Film but by the end...?
And to be frustrated or even angry like some critics were because you couldn't see the ending coming in the 1st 5 minutes like so much out today and you had to heaven forbid, THINK a bit, is just silly. If you don't like it, cool, But to not like it solely because it played with your head a bit....
Jeez, just think how dumbed down films are GONNA get in the future. Marketing and studio people will say, "Vanilla Sky" was TOO complicated, people didn't like it... therefore we can't make another film like THAT.
I noticed the reaction to the Film is very definite. People either LOVE it or HATE it. In my opinion, that makes it a work of art. It gets a reaction. It creates a bit of emotion in the viewer. How many big studio films do that today? For example, I sat through SW ep.2 last week with a glazed look over my face. I didn't LOVE it, I didn't HATE it. I LIKED some of it, I DISLIKED some of it... and it passsed painlessly before my eyes. And after I left the theatre, except for the YODA part at the end, I barely thought about it at all.
Vanilla Sky on the other hand... my girlfriend and I STILL talk about it.
Just my 2 cents....
:) D

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I went into this one with extremely low expectations (given all the Internet buzz). After watching this a couple of days ago, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Perhaps Crowe's reach exceeded his grasp to a degree, but I give him credit for going out on a limb. Great performances all around, particularly in the supporting roles. Kurt Russell was absolutely fantastic!
Thumbs up from me.
Link Removed

Blu

Screenwriter
After reading a lot of fairly negative reviews I can say I wasn't expecting a whole lot. But after viewing this movie I can say that Wow! What a imaginative and creative story concept! I was enthralled and very satisfied with the ending. It was very unusual and left field story that really captures the imagination! I'd recommend it to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks