What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Twin Peaks: The First Season SE DVD" - REVIEW UPDATED PAGE 2 (1 Viewer)

Butch C

Second Unit
Questions...how many eps in season 2?

Commentary on disks...is it spoiler proof or shoud I watch the whole series first?

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I hear the second season sucks because of network TV involvment with the storylines so I'll probably just stick with season one.
I don't know that I'd whole-heartedly agree with that statement. A lot of people lost interest when the killer was revealed, but if anything the show gets weirder the longer it goes on. I can't imagine a network executive WANTING what happened in the last episode of the whole series. That was some trippy stuff! Personally, I like Twin Peaks the whole way through, and a lot of it has to do with the characters!

I got my imported DVD of the pilot episode yesterday. It isn't the greatest quality (Holy Crap the LFE is LOUD on that disc!) and the surrounds are way too loud, but its better than the alternative, which is nothing. I could swear the pitch was too high somehow on the disc. Agent Cooper's voice seemed to be a little too high-pitched, but maybe that's just me. I'd probably pick up the movie version of the pilot too, but I'm definitely keeping this one.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I could swear the pitch was too high somehow on the disc.
No, you're right - it suffers from PAL speedup causing the 'slightly out of whack pitch' side-effect.

I can't imagine skipping series two because of "network politics" - there's some incredible television in it.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Brian's correct; even though the disc is NTSC, the pilot was taken from a PAL master (apparently the Australian one) and thus suffers from PAL speedup. It's not terrible, though, and as previously noted it beats nothing at all.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of people lost interest when the killer was revealed
It's been a while since the end of TP, and I admit that more than a few brain cells have come and gone in the interim, but I remember something of a backlash to Lynch & Co.'s handling of the second season that helped bring about its demise. I was downright angry that the show's second season continually teased viewers with the imminent revelation of the killer's identity only to see that moment postponed again and again. It seemed to me that Lynch & Co. were simply trying to string out ratings, and (for me) it backfired miserably. By the time that [edited] was shown to be the killer, it was practically anticlimactic.
There was also the fact that TP was a show that required viewers to PAY ATTENTION (and even then, you didn't get all the answers). Today's networks are convinced that audiences are incapable of following a detailed plot line for any length of time, and TP may well have been one nail in the coffin of shows that attempt long story arcs. These days, networks actually boast when they air four consecutive new shows of a series (followed by even more repeats, of course). Incredible! Can you imagine TP trying to air today?
I love the season-by-season DVD release pattern of shows like this simply because I can take in the whole experience at my own pace. Here's hoping the first part of the second season DVD set is released soon! :)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
My only complaint about TP is trying to find the time to get into the set! Once I start an episode, I CAN'T STOP! Diving back into the world of Agent Cooper, Sheriff Truman, Lucy, Andy, and the others is better than I thought, flashing back to those glory days known as the early 90s!

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
I agree completely Jordan. It's a bit of melancholy to remember how much younger I was when I see Twin Peaks. And to think I was old then....this show had quite a profound impact on me. Notice my EMail address after all this time :-]

But, then again, it's a dream come true. I obsessively recorded this show in SVHS waiting for the day I could watch it in surround sound.

Now I have 5.1 DVDs!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
[rant]Marvin Richardson wrote:
I'd probably pick up the movie version of the pilot too, but I'm definitely keeping this one.
[/rant]
DON'T DO IT!
The only "movie" is not another version of the pilot. It (Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me) takes place *BEFORE* the pilot, and reveals stuff that you otherwise would not know until Season 2!!
Wait until after you see EVERY episode that aired on TV, then see the movie!

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
DON'T DO IT!
Uh, calm down. I know exactly what I'm talking about here. I have seen every single episode of Twin Peaks several times, as well as Fire Walk with Me. I watched it just the other night on VHS (pan and scan...shudder.) I have also seen the movie version of the pilot (or if you prefer the Europe version) and would buy it just to have a higher quality presentation of the rest of the pilot, minus the tacked on ending. I'd still like to have that ending somewhere, preferably as a deleted scene or extra, but doubt I'll ever see the broadcast version of the pilot released stateside.

And, as I said, I would still keep the televised version of the pilot I already own, even if I bought the movie version.

Yeesh, take a chill pill already.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Sorry...I get what you meant now. I forgot about the existance of a "movie-ized" version of the pilot, that featured a revelation of a different killer.

Pill taken. Sorry again.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
About how long is it taking you guys to get your e-bay copies from Hong Kong? I ordered mine on Christmas Day and got the confirmation from the seller on the 28th shipping Air Parcel post. About a week to 10 days about right? Can't wait so I can start watching them in order.

Thanks

Jim

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Well, I ordered and paid for mine on December 21st, and got on this Wednesday, so it took 6 business days (not counting holidays and whatnot.)

That's cool David. You were just trying to keep someone from making a HUGE mistake. Watching Fire Walk with Me before watching the entire series would really kill the suspense!

John CW

Supporting Actor
Right I've seen the same questions asked over and over again on this forum, so hopefully this might be the end of it:
The Twin Peaks DVD FAQ
What's the correct order to watch everything in?
1 - The Pilot Episode (NOT to be confused with "Fire Walk With Me")
2 - The first season
3 - The second season
4 - Fire Walk With Me
How many episodes are there?
In the first season there were seven episodes.
When it became such an incredible hit ABC ordered much more episodes for the second season, which has 22 (yes! twenty-two!)
So overall there's...?
Including the pilot episode there are 30 episodes.
Was the murder of Laura Palmer ever resolved?
Yes, a few episodes into season two. (Although David Lynch never wanted it to be! :))
Was there a third season?
No there was never a third season, although fans and makers wanted to provide one. There is talk that the second season may be split into two for release on DVD. This third set of discs might be unoffically (and incorrectly) referred to as a "Third Season" at times.
Will the second season be released on DVD like the first?
Rumour has it that it will be, but at the moment there has not been an official announcement.
Where can I buy the pilot episode on DVD?
Try Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...vd/B00005V54S/
It says IMPORT, is there not a Region 1 release?
Not as yet no. Paramount own the rights to the pilot episode (it USED to be Warner) but at the moment there is no news on when it might be released.
What's the picture and sound like on this DVD?
The picture is pretty good (not as good as Artisan's first season though!) but the sound is far from perfect. Although you'll have no difficulty enjoying the disc, there are annoyances: The sound is a pitch or two higher (thanks to its PAL to NTSC(!) transfer) and it reguarly goes in and out of phase for no good reason.
On the whole though you can hear everything perfectly well and it's the best version out there at the moment (c'mon Paramount!).
You can read another person's opinion in this review: http://www.dugpa.com/pilotreview.html
What's all this about a 'European' version?
When David Lynch and Mark Frost were making the pilot episode, they were contractuarly obliged to film an 'ending' to it so it could be sold as a stand-alone movie in Europe if the series wasn't picked up.
All VHS versions of the pilot include the extra 15 or so minutes of footage.
What does this footage include?
Basically Cooper and Truman hunting down the killer and shooting him. It's pretty crap and it was never intended to be seen as part of the series (it flat out contradicts a lot of things in it) but part of it was seen/used as Cooper's dream at the end of Episode 2.
YOU DON'T WANT THIS VERSION (except maybe as a collector).
What ending does the IMPORT DVD have?
It has the PROPER, intended ending - NOT the crappy European one.
I've just watched the first season on DVD and NEED to find out what happens next, what can I do to help curb my Twin Peaks withdrawl?
Join the club - I feel exactly the same way (and I watched all the episodes when it first aired!)!!
Pray that Artisan will release the first part of the second season! :)
I have more questions... got any more answers?
The best place for up-to-the-minute Twin Peaks DVD news is: http://www.dugpa.com
Hope this helps answer a lot of people's questions!
Cheerio!
~ John

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered my Hong Kong Twin Peaks Pilot DVD and was told it would ship on Saturday 12/22, assuming it shipped on 12/24 I still don't have it

:-[

Luke_A

Agent
I am moments away from buying the Pilot of Twin Peaks off Amazon.com. I notice the the thing is an "IMPORT." I am curious, do I have to pay extra money if the thing is labeled as an import?

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I ended up grabbing a copy of the pilot from ebay thanks to this thread. Putting off watching the box set till it arrives ;).

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The European ending for the pilot may be arbitrary in terms of the overall story, but it's surprisingly creepy and atmospheric, particularly the moment where Cooper says "Make a wish" and the candles all blow out. I'll be keeping my WB LD of this (and yes, I got the HK import of the "real" pilot as well).

Luke_A

Agent
Eep!! I just got done listening to the commentary for episode 2, and the dude gave away a huge plot point! He said something about a certain character (He gave the name) getting arrested in episode 13 or 14. Now I fear that the whole mystery is ruined for me...

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
Luke - no...lots of people get arrested during the course of the investigation. There are far more than just the actual killer!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks