What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Trekkies 2 (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Trekkies 2

Studio: Paramount

Year: 2004

Rated: PG

Length: 93 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1

Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 English; English Dolby Surround, Commentary track

English subtitles; Closed Captioned in English

Special Features: Commentary by Roger Nygard, Denise Crosby and Michael Leahy, Deleted Scenes, Fan Films

SRP: $19.99 USD

Release Date: August 31, 2004

What can the average Trekkie say about the movie Trekkies, aside from “...and I thought I was crazy...”?

For you Trek fans who missed the original Trekkies documentary, the film followed extreme Trek fans from around the USA. The extreme fan isn’t just the one who has seen every episode of every incarnation of Star Trek 6 or more times - if that were the case, I would be an extreme fan.

The extreme fans are those whose very lives revolve around Star Trek. These are the people who go to Star Trek conventions (I admit to going to one, but I didn’t wear (nor do I own) a Starfleet uniform). The extreme fan will also go about daily life in full uniform. The extreme fan will decorate their home or apartment to resemble (sometimes replicate) a starship. The extreme fan has thousands of dollars worth of rare Star Trek memorabilia.

Trekkies is about this type of fan.

Trekkies 2 takes the show on the road and visits countries in Europe and South America to see how crazy the fans are abroad. And I mean that in the most respectful way... It also revisits some of the “stars” of the original Trekkies.

These are funny films, but they don’t directly poke fun at the fans of Star Trek. In fact, the people in these films are treated with great respect. This is about fandom in the extreme.

I won’t spoil the ride for you and tell you about these people. Words really don’t do justice, here. If you’re a Star Trek fan and haven’t seen the original Trekkies, you’ll want to track that one down before viewing the sequel, to put everything into perspective. Both films feature clips of interviews from not only fans, but some of the creators and actors of the various series.

These films have little appeal to non-Trekkies, but for the true fan, they are required viewing.

Video
Trekkies 2 is presented in it’s original full-screen aspect ratio. The film was shot with various DV-CAM models, most often with available light, so this has a documentary feel to the video throughout - appropriate, given that this is a documentary.

The image is sharp enough, given the source, and has good dynamic range and color saturation.

The overall picture quality is variable, depending on the camera used during a particular segment, as well as the available light at the locations.

This is everything I’d expect in terms of quality, given the source and shooting style.

Audio
There is a Dolby Digital 5.1 track, as well as a 2 channel English track, and the commentary track.

Music has excellent dynamic range, offering impressive bass response and clear highs. The occasional sound effects used in the film have a good deal of punch as well.

Dialog is variable, depending on the room dynamics were the participants were recorded. This is not soundstage quality footage.

This isn’t the type of film that is designed to give your 5.1 system a real workout, but it is impressive for a documentary.

Special Features

Commentary with Filmmakers

Director Roger Nygard, host Denise Crosby and Producer Michael Leahy provide commentary on the film.

Comment is made immediately of Gabriel Koerner’s (one of the “stars” of Trekkies and Trekkies 2) digital effects for the opening of the film. Themselves Trekkies, Fred Schneider and Pat Irwin of the B-52’s provided music for the film.

This is a rare film where watching it with the commentary is every bit as interesting as watching without. We get to hear the “behind-the-story” stories of all the characters we meet in the film. It’s “fascinating.”

Deleted Scenes
An amazing 56 minutes of deleted scenes, with a “Play All” option, add up to what is essentially a second feature. While all the “A list” material went into the final cut of the feature, there is much of interest in this “B” material. This is a great special feature, well worth a look. Director Nygard had over 150 hours of raw footage from their tour around the world, so it’s nice to see such an extended array of footage that didn’t make the final cut.

Fan Films

Brian Dellis’ “Final Frontier Revisited” (6:54)
with optional audio commentary by Brian Dellis (and two other members of the production team / cast)

A silly little film involving a starship crew who go back in time to the old American West. Lot’s of heart and enthusiasm, combined with low budget and not much talent add up to an amusing 6+ minutes.

Gabriel Koerner’s “Really Bad Star Trek” Clip (8:31)
You may remember Gabriel Koerner from the first Trekkies movie. He also appears in the sequel, and has a chance to show off a clip from his very tongue-in-cheek Star Trek film. Impressive CGI effects, and pretty good set design combine with bad photography for an okay short film worth a few laughs.

Roger Nygard’s Previous Works
Includes a trailer for Six Days in Roswell and a clip from Suckers.

Final Thoughts

Next time somebody tells you that you take your fandom too far, what with buying all these Star Trek DVD’s, just point them to this film. Here, they will see the definition of fandom expanded beyond what they thought possible.

Trekkies 2 is an interesting documentary, by Trekkies, for Trekkies, about Trekkies. A good commentary and extensive deleted scenes round out an above average documentary on DVD.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the review, Scott. I'm happy that the commentary is good.

Out of curiosity and not expecting much, I borrowed Trekkies from the library, enjoyed it a lot, and was surprised at how touching some of the clips were.

Hopefully, we'll be able to find a package deal for the two discs.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm not much of a STAR TREK fan (other than the first series and the second and fourth film) but LOVED TREKKIES. Really looking forward to this, although on the fence about whether I should Netflix it or blind buy it. Your review makes me think it will be worth a buy.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I used to think I was a nutty Trekkie...until I saw the first Trekkies. :D My tiny collection of stuff has nothin' on these folks.

Lookin' forward to seeing this one. The first one was great fun. :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Agreed. I, also recommend Free Enterprise. For anyone with a passing interest in SF movies & movies in general this one is hilarious.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
More like a passing interest in Star Trek, as opposed to all SF. Literary, print-SF writers think of Star Trek as "SF Lite."

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I do not consider myself an extreme fan, though I do own a uniform (Next Gen-era, command red, captain's pips on the collar) which I wear only on Halloween and the occasional convention. Star Trek for me has always been about the drama; I tend to talk about Trek much the same way a daytime soap fan would talk about his/her fav.

Much of the original Trekkies was shot right here in Indianapolis, formerly the home of the largest fan-organized Trek con in the U.S.

I, too, can highly recommend Free Enterprise, probably the best example to date of how well Bill Shatner can really stick it to himself. :laugh:

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
I saw the original Trekkies at a sci-fi movie marathon in Cleveland, with 350 other geeks. It ranks up there with my other great moviegoing experiences.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for the review, Scott! I will check this out. I've always considered myself a fan, but I walked out of the first Trekkies with the confidence that I was not obsessed with Star Trek. But at the same time, as some pointed out in the first film, is most of this stuff really that harmful? (I guess the guy that drank the "Q virus" was pretty stupid, but nothing really wrong with a dentist decorating his office like a starship.)

Also, even though this is the Trekkies 2 thread, put me down as another fan of Free Enterprise; a few flaws here and there, but it's a lot of fun for movie buffs, and Shatner is hilarious.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Oh, I disagree! I have NEVER been a fan of any of the series, and saw a couple of the feature films with a ST-obsessed friend (Wrath of Khan was pretty cool!) but I found both Trekkies to be really enjoyable and entertaining movies. I would recommend them in a heartbeat to most anyone interested in fanatical human behaviour!

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
I really liked the first one; it's one of those movies that leaves some indelible memories long after (the dentist with the spaceship office, the woman gazing longingly towards the hill across town where Brent Spiner lives, the K-S erotica !?!?.)

I'll definitely check this out.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Be sure to watch "Final Frontier Revisited"! It's absolutely HILARIOUS. Production values are decent, but the sight of a bunch of portly, balding 40-somethings portraying Starfleet officers (couldn't they get anyone under 45 to show up?) is one to cherish. You've never seen fabric stretched so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks