What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Treasures Wave 4: Mickey B&W, Pluto, Mickey M. Club - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (1 Viewer)

RafaelB

Second Unit
I also store my treasure discs in the tins as well and echo the sentiment that the missing "title band" in this Wave kinda sucks. :frowning:

Rafael.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Quote:

"Wasn't aware that anyone would store them inside the tins...does anyone else reading this thread do this as well?"

Yes, I do. These tins don't take up much more space than the regular DVD cases anyway, so why not?

Quote:

"No, I don't. They are just a nuisance and I can well do without them. As for people saying they keep those cardboard bands and want custom ones for the latest set!!!!"

...?

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I throw out the cardboard overlays that so many title come with these days, but I do keep the tins. I have racks for my single DVDs, but the double cases and box sets go on a special shelf. (With Mickey Book-Ends)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Good review. One caveat: MICKEY MOUSE CLUB first emerged in the 1950's. There was no broacast t.v. in the 1930's.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I order Pluto and B&W 2 from DVD Planet on 11/29 and haven't received either. I checked their website this evening, and they are listing both titles as discontinued!

http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_lis...928&format=DVD

That's that all about? Fortunately, I found copies at DVD Empire. I also checked at Deep Discount and Digital Eyes and couldn't even find the titles listed.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have all discs from the first three waves and I too store them in the tins with the bands around them. I think they are special discs and leaving them in the original metal packaging makes them stand out. Without the bands on this wave I will probably remove them and store the tins.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Hey Dick,

typo: didn't mean to include the word "even" in this sentence--should have at a "t" on it to say: "when Mickey Mouse cartoons were a weekly event at movie-theaters everywhere" (will fix in the review)...

Before TV in the 1930's there was the *first* version of the "Mickey Mouse Club" that was sponsored by local theaters as a way to encourage kids to come to the movies. Regular kids would join. You can see some photos of kids belonging to this first version of the Mickey Mouse Club in the special features on the disc. It was loosely sponsored by Disney, but in a very minimal way and didn't resemble the 1950's TV incarnation which which most folks are so familiar.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
...Yep. The Easter Egg on the first Mickey Mouse in Black and White DVD also has an introduction by Leonard Maltin talking about the original Mickey Mouse Club preceding the "Minnie's Yoo Hoo" song animation created for the club in the 30s.

Regards,

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Hm, no exclamation points from David. These must not be very good. ;)

I keep them in tins too. They have their own shelf to prevent issues with other case types.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I am still curious about why Mickey Mouse has a lighter with a 卍 (manji) on it. Were such lighters common in that time period?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks