What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Trainspotting (Uncut SE 2-disc set) (1 Viewer)

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
Putting together a side by side of Can. vs. US CE.
The Can. edition IS CUT, 5 sec. +/- of Kelly MacDonald
touching herself while atop Ewan McGregor.
Mostly in the shadows, so nothing can be really seen.

adrian b

Stunt Coordinator
not all the Criterion features were included....

where's my Scottish slang / English translation cheat-sheet?

guess I'll be making my own insert

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I just watched. What is different between the Rated and Unrated cuts? I did not notice anything new. Were the video releases from years ago unrated as well?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

U.S. VHS release: Cut version, R-rated, some dubbing
U.S. Laserdisc release: Uncut version, original audio
U.S. (original)DVD release: Uncut version, original audio
Canadian DVD release: Slightly cut version , original audio
U.S. (Special Edition)DVD release: Uncut version original audio

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
Using the new US edition, from 27:17 - 27:23
is when Kelly touches herself, then the scene
cuts to a close up of Ewan's face. It is at that
point that the canadian dvd picks up, on Ewan's face.

Just found the other Can. edit, found on the new US
Collector's edition at 46:09, closeup of the neddle entering
Ewan's arm.

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator
I got one problem with this DVD, during the bar scene, there are burned in subtitles that you can not get rid of, presumably cause it's harder to make out what there saying in the scene. But i can make out what there saying and i found the subtitles annoying. There are no burned in subtitles during any other scenes in the film. I think, my copy is the canadian version as it has lame french text on the spine, somthing i really hate about canadian releases. Put french text on films recorded in french & english text on films recorded in english, simple. Can anyone confirm the burned in subtitles is restricted to the canadian release?

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
You can tell if you have the Canadian if it has the
little supplement of the director and producer talking
about the movie intercut with the 9 deleted scenes.

All versions has the subtitles burned in during the dance
scene.

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator
on the back cover it says "deleted scenes with optional commentary". It must be the canadian anyway, cause it has a canadian certification symbol on it (18a rating). Thanks, from checking out reviews, it seems your right, all versions including the R2 version have burnt in subtitles during that scene.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
If you are talking about the scene where the girls are talking about "shopping" and the boys are talking about "football" :) the subtitles were there for the cinema release even here in the UK. Its intentional for the reason you stated

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I was hoping dvdbeaver would do a comparison for this. Thanks, Enrique. BTW, my grandparents live in Tinley Park. I love the area.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Ahh, yes. I remember the controversy in DVD circles regarding Di$ney putting the kabosh on Miramax's more impressive releases of their films on DVD in Canada than Buena Vista was doing for the U.S. market.

Canada's Alliance Atlantis had a home video distribution deal with Miramax before the Max was ever owned by the Mouse House. The three big Max pics I went to now-defunct Canadian e-tailer DVD-Depot.com to buy were Pulp Fiction, [/i]Good Will Hunting[/i] and [/Trainspotting[/i]. The Alliance versions each had more goodies than its Buena Vista counterpart.

So now we've of course got Buena Vista SEs of Pulp and now Trainspotting. Excellent. But this has just taken too damn long. How long have we been waiting for an Engligh Patient[ SE--5+ years? For a Best Picture winner? :rolleyes:Now . . . if we can just get a good BV GWH SE--the Alliance was even anamorphic whereas the U.S. release was not . . .

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Ahh, yes. I remember the controversy in DVD circles regarding Di$ney putting the kabosh on Miramax's more impressive releases of their films on DVD in Canada than Buena Vista was doing for the U.S. market.

Canada's Alliance Atlantis had a home video distribution deal with Miramax before the Max was ever owned by the Mouse House. The three big Max pics I went to now-defunct Canadian e-tailer DVD-Depot.com to buy were Pulp Fiction, [/i]Good Will Hunting[/i] and [/Trainspotting[/i]. The Alliance versions each had more goodies than its Buena Vista counterpart.

So now we've of course got Buena Vista SEs of Pulp and now Trainspotting. Excellent. But this has just taken too damn long. How long have we been waiting for an Engligh Patient[ SE--5+ years? For a Best Picture winner? :rolleyes:Now . . . if we can just get a good BV GWH SE--the Alliance was even anamorphic whereas the U.S. release was not . . .

-p

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I just love this movie and this SE is a great lil package.

No matter how many times I see Spud's kitchen scene, I cringe and laugh out loud. So sick. :)

I watched the movie again last night and I sat there wondering how anyone could think this film glamorizes drug abuse.

The only thing I haven't checked yet is the commentary track. I'm saving that for later. ;)

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
I finally picked up the canadian 2 disc set and I noticed there was no insert....is this also true for the US release? I could swear I remember reading a special insert/collectible booklet was going to be included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks