What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: To Live and Die in L.A. - Special Edition (Highly Recommended!!) (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Seeing it on DVD again was not as satisfiying. Ultimately I feel the film just doesnt stand up anymore
I disagree. I believe it works just as well as it did when first released. As far as the chase goes, if someone is expecting the stupid sort of cut-a-second editing that is used for recent releases, then they will be disappointed. It find the chase scene as thrilling as ever. ;)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Just because you see the movie in the theatres doesnt mean you are seeing the film exactly the way the Filmakers wanted.
Perhaps, but you'll have a broader frame of reference than people who have only seen the DVD. Today the majority of DVD reviews are written by people who appear to visit movie theaters only occasionally. It's given a particular skew to evaluations of image quality, the most obvious example being that anything that looks like "grain" automatically results in a lower rating.

M.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Michael, I think you and Allen both have points. It is definitely true that many (far too many) online reviewers don't seem to want film to look like film. Still, theater presentations often fall far short of ideal. The prints are damaged or poorly duped, the theater is too light, loud or whatever and often the image is not sufficiently illuminated.

The key is understanding the intent of the film makers. Thinking about the story and how it is presented. Whether a person sees a film projected from film or on video doesn't automatically give them an advantage in understanding it.

DerekJohnson

Auditioning
They did a really good job on this Special Edition. I had heard about the "alternate ending" for years but to actually see it was a hoot. Could you imagine if they really released the movie with it. I enjoyed the making of featurette. I still laugh that the poor prop guy kept getting harassed by the police for the fake money.

Excellent movie.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I just watched the DVD last night and I had never seen this film before. I must say that I thought it was a pretty good movie. The only thing about it that seemed dated to me was the film score. That definately keeps this movie firmly planted in the 80's

I do have one question about the end though:

What was the point of that shot of Chance's truck that was flashed on the screen for a few seconds before the credits roll?

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Friedkin mentioned in the commentary that TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA has never looked this good theatrically. I thought it was interesting as the film didn't look bad at all but I question if the color bleed which I noticed particularily in reds where part of the theatrical showing?

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
A few thoughts...

The chase scene, which blew my mind when I first saw it , was'nt as intense and thrilling as I remembered (Maybe its time for me to upgrade to a large Plasma screen! I wish!).
Ditto - retained its impact for me! And the graphic violence packed quite a wallop as well!

Cheers,

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Okay... I figured it may have been something like that. It just seemed like kind of an odd edit to me. I did see that final shot after the credits rolled too. I got into the habit of watching film credits thanks to Lethal Weapon 3. Thanks for the insight.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Very nice DVD.

I really liked the movie as well. I didn't see the end coming at all! :eek:

I do agree that the soundtrack is dated, which gives the film a very 80's feel. This may or may not be a bad thing, depending on your feelings about Wang Chung!

:)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Just after Dafoe kills the guy he forced to open his safe at gunpoint, when they realise the cops have gone in on their stakeout. The scene where they go in and the cops ask who they are & they see the body then take the address book is totally cut. Then the next scene shows them going through the address book.

Who decided to omit that scene and what was the point?

HankM

Second Unit
I don't recall ever seeing that scene and I have seen this movie numurous times on VHS, laserdisc and now dvd. Maybe that scene was added for network television.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it's some mysterious plot - the disappearing scene. Since Mr. Friedkin would undoubtedly mention such a missing scene in either documentary or commentary I think you can surmise that the mysterious scene was never in the theatrica cut of the film.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
not necessarily so Bruce. If he knew the scene wasn't in the cut he was commenting over (by his choice or not), he might choose not to mention something that's not there.

It has been in all previous home video releases, VHS & LD, so why not DVD?

Keith M.

Second Unit
Well, I finally sat down and watched this movie for the 1st time, based on the "highly recommended" review.

NOTE: If your over sensitive and cannot except other's personal opinions, do not read the rest of my post...

Yeah, the audio presentation was good and picture quality was above average...

IMHO, the movie was below average. Maybe it was good in its day, but I found it boring and cheesy. It felt like a made for tv cop movie. And whats with all the gratuitous male nudity? no thanks!!! I know it was an 80s movie, but I have seen numerous 80s movies in this genre that excelled in every department.

Again IMHO, and I mean no disrespect to our reviewers which I truely appreciate all their hard work, but the "highly recommended" banner is being too easily handed out. This should be reserved for the select few titles that achieve something extra special. Otherwise, it begins to lose its authenticity and merit. Maybe we need a new tag for the titles im describing...

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Keith-

Your opinion on the movie is fine....you are calling it the way you see it (although I disagree).

However, your statement that "I mean no disrespect to our reviewers which I truely appreciate all their hard work, but the "highly recommended" banner is being too easily handed out" is off base.

This movie was given high marks by the critics. Widescreen Review does a "Critics Composite" which takes into account, I believe, 6 or more critics reviews and averages them. Their critics composite score for this movie was 4/5.

Also, Roger Ebert gave it four stars, his highest rating!

My point is simply that, at the very least in this case, our HTF reviewers are not handing out the "highly recommended banner" too easily, as shown by the fact this movie was/is highly regarded by the critics.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
Okie doke - let me get this straight - you're saying there was a scene which was included on the VHS and laserdisc that was NOT included on this DVD. And, are you further saying that this scene was in the original theatrical version (yet isn't on the DVD)? Because, l do think that Mr. Friedkin would mention the scene having been cut because he is the one who would have cut it - do you think he just forgot about the scene and wouldn't comment on it having been cut? Therefore, I would surmise this scene was not in the theatrical version of the film. It's really been too long since I saw it theatrically for me to remember accurately, but I know enough about Mr. Friedkin to know he'd mention cutting a scene out for the DVD.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
It has been in all previous home video releases, VHS & LD, so why not DVD?
Please give us the exact time in the film at which this scene appears on which VHS and LD releases, and please specify what distributor was responsible for the release and in what country.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks