1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Titanic - Special Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Kimball, Oct 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    If the spoofs followed the film (right with the credits), we'd agree. But they don't. You have to hunt for them. Like it or not, the import of the real events far exceeds that of any movie. One of my favorite films is The Matrix Reloaded. The DVD includes a spoof of one of my favorite scenes (the Architect meeting). And I'm thrilled it's there. Humor is not black and white.

My first viewing of the film was awe-inspiring. My love of the film informs my enjoyment of the humor. I appreciate "taking the piss", as the Brits would say. I appreciate the joke, because they are mocking Hollywood and the system, not the event itself. I'm glad they are included. And I'm glad they don't follow the film.

Google "Saving Ryan's Privates". You'll get an eyeful of humor there. Spielberg himself loved it. Being able to laugh at ourselves is the essence of humanity.

Take care,
    Chuck

2. Kevin Lamb

Kevin Lamb Second Unit

Kevin Lamb

So why then do you agree that wacky outtakes would be inappropriate for the closing credits? I assume because for a picture like Titanic you believe there should be some separation from self effacing humor and the movie itself. I agree. You don't want it in the closing credits, I wouldn't want it on the DVD.

There really isn't much difference, I just draw the line a little farther out than you.

And yes I realize how silly it is to belabor an issue so easily ignored for a movie I don't and won't own. [​IMG]

3. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Woah, Kevin! Had me at least a bit until the last line.

With all due respect, why on earth are you even wasting your time arguing in this thread then, just curious? Aren't you, kinda trolling here? And also, they ARE Easter Eggs, most people won't ever even see them so they aren't exactly shoving them in your face right after the film.
    Titanic with Bunnies parody... Very funny IMHO and not in bad taste. A Night To Remember with Bunnies I can see as being kinda wrong.

but what do I know.... [​IMG]

4. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

Is every person who does't believe "Titanic" is the greatest film ever made doing an injustice to the real-life events? Is everyone who thinks James Cameron is an egomaniacal jerk with a penchant for bad dialogue belittling what happened to 1,500 people who died 93 years ago? Nooooooo!!!

The parodies on MTV and SNL are parodies of a film, not a tragic event that happened nearly a century ago.

Ever see the movie DC 9/11? That abysmal movie is practically yet unintentionally self-parodying, but making fun of that movie in no way dishonors the people who died on 9/11.

Kevin, you have your right to be offended if you choose to be, but keep in mind that humor doesn't come with a rulebook. It is only a "sense."

5. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

I have found and continue to preach this to the people I know. Very true. [​IMG]

6. Kevin Lamb

Kevin Lamb Second Unit

Kevin Lamb

I was more arguing for the type of film that Titanic is than the film itself, especially considering that the inclusion of MTV/SNL spoofs on DVD releases is becoming a pretty common trend. Normally I'm okay with that but I do think there's a limit to which kinds of films that's appropriate for. I don't want the trend to become *too* commonplace.

I thought The Passion of the Christ was brilliant, I laughed at the Will Ferrell/Jim Caviezel interview on MTV, but I *don't* want that interview on the next DVD release of the movie. [​IMG]

Its funny because it sounds like I give more credit to what Titanic attempted than the actual filmmakers or fans of the flick itself. I could be wrong but it makes me wonder. [​IMG]

7. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

I am assuming that this skit is the same thing as Lord of the Rings where Jackson is being hassled by Vince Vaughn and Ben Still over the possibility of a sequel that asks the question, "What if the ring wasn't destroyed?"

8. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Back in the 1980s, a mini series Golaith Awaits was made on this premise with Christopher Lee in one of the main roles, absolutely riveting stuff

[​IMG]

9. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The skits are not so bad if you realize that the story DOES NOT focus on the tragedy of the Titanic sinking but instead is a "love story" set on the Titanic during its unfateful voyage. After all, most of the sinking involves the two unlucky lovers trying to a)find a way off the boat b)avoid the jealous lover c)avoid the staff who is fixed on saving the wealthy and d)survive the actual disaster.

A Night to Remember is about the actual sinking and wants the audience to see this.

10. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

I do not have an issue with them because they are relics of the period in which the film was made in. Whether or not they are indecent I feel is more the domain of those who made the parodies in the first place. I appreciate that the option to view them is at least included. I will decide for myself whether or not I feel they are appropriate. I may start judging though if the DVD was being sold on the merits of these parodies, but they are not.

11. SteveJKo

SteveJKo Second Unit

Peter I could not agree more. On my set up the DTS certainly rocks, but so does the Dolby. Matter of fact I would even go so far as to say the bass is so much more pronounced on the Dolby track (at least as far as my system goes) that it is my sound format of choice for this title. Yes the DTS surrounds seem a bit more pumped up than in Dolby, but the never ending bass from the Dolby track more than compensates.

12. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Absolutely. I'm a Christian yet I still find most of Monty Python's Life of Brian funny. Why? Probably because the very idea of some poor commoner standing so far away from Jesus while he delivers his Sermon on the Mount that the peasant mistakenly thinks that Christ said "blessed are the cheese makers" is hilarious. Along those same lines, I'm glad James Cameron has sense of humor enough to include on this DVD a thirty-second cartoon featuring one bunny sketching another naked "Kate Winslet" bunny.

That's just my $.02, however. Your mileage may vary.

13. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I'm a little behind my "boys" in here, but I managed to get through the pods this evening, along with some disc 3 material (no deleted scenes yet) and the alternate ending. I'd definitely prefer a full on doc to the pods, but I am glad we got the info. Being the nut I am, I knew quite a bit of the behind the scenes stuff from my 1997-1998 obsession, but some of the material is just fantastic.

I had forgotten how awesome the score was...it really suits the entire production. Probably tied with Glory as my favorite score.

My Kate fascination is well earned. Her face has such beauty and character. In the "Young Rose" pictures, there is a glamour shot of Kate (representing the silent film actress). Few modern actresses could pull that off, but she's fucking luminous. There is no other way to say it. And that's just her looks (which I think display her character). It doesn't hurt that she's one of the best actresses in quite some time.

I enjoyed the alternate posters (mostly 11 and 15). I even liked the tagline they didn't go with...One Story Left To Tell.

Lastly, the PQ (can't judge the audio yet, but I'm not worried) is outstanding. I noticed details I never had before. Thrilled to have this in my collection. Only thing on my wish list would be a Leo/Kate commentary and the trailers.

Some will scoff, but seeing it again, hearing it again...the ending sequence of Titanic is one of the finest ever done. Stunning in it's thematic resonance, beauty, and romance. Titanic is not perfect, but the ending smooths over any small grievances. It speaks to exactly what Patrick Sun stated in this (or another) thread about why Titanic is so loved. The last two minutes just soars with such poetic and bittersweet beauty that it never fails to give me goosebumps.

Can't wait to dig into the commentaries and, most importantly, just watch the film again.

Take care,
    Chuck

14. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone comment on the packaging - or provide photos? I've pre-ordered the 2 disc set from R4, but want to see what I migh be missing out on...

15. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
  16. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Josh,
    That's what I was after [​IMG]

17. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

Chuck,

I completely agree. Sure, "Titanic" isn't a perfect film, but it struck an emotional chord with me that was powerful enough to sustain me through four theatrical viewings and a few times on VHS and once on non-anamorphic DVD. I wondered if the film would have lost anything after not having seen it for several years and only recently discovering how popular it is to bash now. I STILL completely bought the love story, was swept away by the score, was emotionally invested in the ending and, as always, loved the ending (the alternate ending would have separated me emotionally from the film if it had been kept). In fact, the first time I viewed the film in theaters, I was so caught up in the love story that I actually forgot all about the ship sinking. I love "Titanic" as much, if not more, today than ever. Especially in anamorphic widescreen video and DTS. LOL!

18. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    FWIW, here is the statement made before the extra entitled Crew Video

While the tone of the following program is light hearted...

We mean no disrespect to the Titanic passengers and crew.

19. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

Good stuff Chuck. Good stuff. [​IMG]

20. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

So apparently others are noticing this pixellation, colorburst, (glitch?) in the scene where Jack talks to Rose in the gym...? I read this on amazon...

" I have exchanged 3 copies of this and have found a pixelation error in the same place in all three copies of disc one during the film. So much for quality control. I called Paramount home video and they have informed me they have been flooded with calls concerning this title. It appears there are problems. I plan to get a new set from paramount themselves. If anyone else is having problems, do report it here and call paramount home video."

Is this on all copies and will Paramount actually do anything, (doubtful IMHO...) and to those who own the set, how bad is it and WHAT exactly is it?!?!?

[​IMG] dmack