What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Titanic - Special Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Jorossy

Stunt Coordinator
On the DVD Credits screen on the R1 dvd set, it lists the Titanic skits from MTV and SNL, plus the "Titanic in 30 seconds (bunnies)". I accessed the MTV skit but specifically how do you access the SNL and bunnies skits?

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Here ya go, Jorossy:

To access "Titanic in 30 Seconds with Bunnies", go to the Special Features section and choose Still Galleries. When you're there, select Production Artwork, then highlight Play All, then press the up arrow on your remote. This will highlight the arrow on the screen. Press Play!

To pull up the SNL skit, go to the Deleted Scenes section, and select the chapter menu. On the left side of the screen, select Chapter 29. Highlight the chapter still on the menu, then press down to highlight the couple at the bottom of the screen. Press Play!

Enjoy! :)

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb

I'm not a huge fan of Titanic and won't be purchasing the DVD but nevertheless the inclusion of MTV and SNL skits seems a bit tacky and disrespectful to the subject matter for a film that so eagerly tried to bring a decades old tragedy into our hearts and minds.

Kind of like showing wacky outtakes during the credits of Schindler's List. I realize that the spoofs aren't a part of the actual movie but it still seems wrong to include them.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

The differing opnions just go to show you that studios can't win, no matter what they do. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator
I just have a small issue with the transfer. I'll live with it if it's part of the video, but I want to make sure it's not just my DVD. At the very end of the scene where Jack is trying to convince Rose to break free of her current life and she tells him to leave her alone, there's a small green bar on the right side of the screen for about one frame. Can anybody else see this on their DVD? If not, I'll definitely rush up to the store in a hurry to exchange for another copy, but my DVD didn't skip or anything, so I think it's part of the transfer.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Jack,

I noticed the same thing last night. I just thought it was a glitch on my Player...

Either way, I still don't think I'd get it replaced. It doesn't bother me.

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, cool. Yeah, it's not that big a deal. I just wanted to make sure it was on all the discs. If that's my biggest issue on the set, then that's fine. Quite frankly, I'm surprised I even noticed.

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb

I was unaware there was a sizable demand to include spoofs of films recreating real world tragedies on the same DVD (or DVD collection) as the movie.

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin:
It´s not a documentary. If it was, then it would be tasteless to include a parody in the set.

I was absolutely looking forward to the parodies and was devastated (for the lack of a less powerful word for the moment) when I (wrongfully) learned that they we´re missing on R1 but not R2/R4.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
They aren't spoofing the event. They are spoofing the movie. Two different things, and I have no problem with them. I do have a problem with a hypothetical 100th Anniversary set (or the Pearl Harbor "60th" Anniversary set). That's marketing trying to draw a link between a fictional film and a real event for the sake of money. Anniversary should be used only with the context of the film, never the real event. Same reasoning, different complaint.

Is the MTV spoof with Affleck, Damon, and Cameron? And the SNL with Paxton (and the players) and Cameron?

I love the SNL spoof,
Chuck

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
So do you think it would be appropriate to include spoofs of Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan on the DVD, even if it was just "of the movie?" The point of "the movie" (whether it succeeded or not) is to strike a powerful emotional chord regarding the recreated, true (or mostly true) events. Including spoofs seems to betray the tone and intention of the film itself.

There's a reason Jackie Chan and Pixar movies show "bloopers" in the credits and historical epics don't.

You might think I'm being a sourpuss but I remember the first time I saw Titanic in the theaters, it was an incredible experience, sobering and emotional. My opinion of the film as time has passed has diminished greatly since then but why mock an effort that could, and I imagine is still intended to, have the same powerful effect on many new viewers over the years?

I'm just surprised that Cameron or the studio would include such extras and that real fans of the film would want them to go hand in hand with the movie itself.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
As long as they're not in the credits, what's the big deal? Titanic is no Schindler's List, and including a parody of what is probably the most seen film of all time is simply acknowledging that popularity. And that the makers can have a sense of humor about their creation.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
The MTV skit on the disc features Cameron being hassled by Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller over the possibility of a sequel that asks the question, "What if the 1500 lived underwater and formed a community?"

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb

I think its the director, cast, and studio trying to show how hip and funny they are at the expense of the film.

I'm sure the skits are very funny, and I'm sure I'd laugh if I saw them. The "Tankman" skit on Batman Begins was hysterical. But I do chuckle when I watch the Tumbler chase now after seeing the skit, particularly when the officer says, "He's flying on rooftops!"

I'm surprised the director and studio of Titanic would want anyone to be chuckling while watching their epic after viewing the included DVD extras. We all know nothing is sacred to MTV and SNL, but if the director and studio don't take such a movie seriously why should anyone else.

But I wasn't going to purchase the DVD anyway and it sounds like everyone else wanted the skits so apparently not much harm is being done.

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator
Just finished watching the whole movie. Amazing. I'm so happy that I hadn't seen this in a long time. It really was refreshing to watch this all these years later when the hype has died down. I remember also that I watched this about a billion times when it first came out, so the experience today had a freshness about it that I can't recall since the the time when the film first came out.

Also, I watched the alternate ending - Oh my. Thank God they didn't use it. It was almost bordering on parody. :laugh:

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member

Haha! I remember that miniseries - saw it on TV, probably 20 years ago? Kevin Lamb, if you think skits are parodies are bad...you gotta watch that one - it was meant to be serious!

I was about to say, "If you don't like skits and parodies, then don't buy the set!", but you won't so that's ok.

EDIT: Offtopic comment removed. Oops.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Hmm. I get the same from the Dolby Digital track as well.

Either track is great, but Dolby only people are not missing out on anything with this release.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Most impressively done. Both audio and video are top-shelf. It nearly looks HD on my 85" screen. This was worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks