What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Titanic - Special Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As Cameron puts it, he can still make a movie when he's old so he's doing things that he won't be able to physically do in ten or twenty years.

What the hell do you do for an encore after the most succesful movie of all time? :)

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Really dissapointed that the extra documentary didn't make the cut, but having commentary from Cameron and all the deleted scenes with a proper transfer more than justifies the price of admission.

It's likely the movie will be re-released again in fall 2007 on DVD/Blu-Ray and that will be the set with all the extras and the kitchen sink, but for now this will do.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

The HBO special is what I will really miss the most (besides the deleted scenes - even though I did see a deleted scene with the calling back of the "half-filled" lifeboats prior to seeing the movie itself). Prior to the HBO special, I was on the fence as to whether I wanted to see Titanic or not. But after seeing it, I could not wait.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

While I know this is obviously a joke, a 3D version would have been interesting.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Unless Cameron has stated that it will not happen, it might not be a joke. We know Cameron is very interested in bringing 3-D back to movie theaters. George Lucas is as well and has announced plans to redo the original trilogy in 3-D for theatrical re-release. So maybe a 3-D re-release of "Titanic" will come eventually

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I am aware of that Hartwig, but AFAIK, there are no plans to convert Titanic into 3D.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
Just finished watching the movie again after not having seen it in 8 years. Just gotta say that I've forgotten how beautiful the score is. Probably one of the best ever written for a film.

...movie's still good too. :)

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
I picked this up during lunch for $19.95 at Best Buy which is a damn good price for this set. The packaging is excellent as others have stated and I can't wait to view this tonight.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Oh so tempted to spin the scene where it breaks in two, but know the wife will KILL me, so I have to wait until tonight. Anyone who has watched ~ how was the DTS 6.1 during the sinking section? Nice packaging, feels more sturdy than other slipcases for multi-disc sets.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

In one word: awesome. The scenes in the engine room are no joke either, especially the ones with those big steam pistons going.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I am trying to wait to see the movie with my GF even though it's not going to be till FRIDAY when she can get over here. She said she doesn't care if I don't wait as long as I can handle seeing the movie again so soon.

I've picked a few special features and i watched the alternate ending, which I did like. It could of worked, but what they did use works well too.

I chose at random a deleted scene which had a very funny moment where Bodien (or whatever his name is) is talking to old rose and is Cracking up laughing saying "You trying to kill yourself on the Titanic? All you had to do was wait TWO DAYS!"

Ok... little heartless maybe but it still struck me funny.

H

Hank

The DTS track during the sinking scenes was dynamite. It brought me back to the days when I owned the DTS laserdisc. The LFE track will give your sub a work out.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Cast/crew commentary participants (according to my own viewing):

Executive producer Rae Sanchini, producer Jon Landau, deep dive technical coordinator Ralph White, second unit director Steve Quale, first assistant director Josh McLaglen, re-recording mixer Gary Rydstrom, art director Martin Laing, camera operator Jimmy Muro, choreographer/etiquette coach Lynne Hockney, costume designer Deborah Scott, visual effects supervisors Robert Skotak and Rob Legato, composer James Horner, music editor Joe Rand, director of photographer Russell Carpenter, production designer Peter Lamont, unit production manager Kevin de la Noy, sound designer/re-recording mixer Christopher Boyes, stunt coordinator Simon Crane, associate editor Roger Barton, and actors Bill Paxton, Lewis Abernathy, Gloria Stuart, Kate Winslet, Frances Fisher, Danny Nucci, Jonathan Hyde, Jason Barry, Billy Zane, Victor Garber, Bernard Hill, Jenette Goldstein, Ioan Gruffudd, Ewan Stewart, Ellen Mower, Judy Prestininzi, and Suzy Amis.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
One effect shot that always made me laugh a little was during Rose's 'suicide scene', where her hair glows a slight blue tint due to the green screen process. I'm pleased to see it was color-corrected a bit here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks