What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Titanic - Special Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Scott,

Great review, so far. I envy you for being able to get an early look at it. I'll be picking this one up, even though I'm still pissed we won't be getting the trailers, and I still can't believe they went with that fugly cover! But, I guess all that has been discussed to death.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Since you have designed such amazing covers, why not tackle this one? Your work is great, and I'm sure you could come up with something.

Jordan*

Auditioning
hehe I caaaaaaaant wait til I get this Special Edition! I'm really looking forward to the fight between jack and lovejoy! scott if ya going to take some pictures of the deleted scenes could you please take one of the fight :D thanks!! :D :D

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. I have been waiting for this release for ages. Having this movie in Dts is going to be amazing.

Titanic was my very very first DVD. Now years later, I have just gotten my first Widescreen LCD TV and this new Titanic is one of the very first "Major" releases I will of gotten since getting my new TV.

Good think it's in Anamophic because now that I have a widescreen TV, I can not even stand my non-anamorphic DVDs. I have alot of replacing to do!

I'm SURE alot of you are thinking this same thing, but I so wish there was a hidden version of the movie with the new scenes incorporated into the cut. I know it's very very unlikely but I can still wish. After all, the finalized the new scenes and everything. Seamless Brancing is a great DVD feature that is so underused. I can't even recall the last movie I have gotten that used it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I think it's common knowledge that Titanic was extremely difficult to make, but AFAIK Kate Winslet never said she wouldn't work with Cameron again. In fact she appeared on many shows, including Oprah with Cameron, where she praised him endlessly.

And many of the same crew have worked with Cameron on subsequent projects as have actors Bill Paxton and Lewis Abernathe.

I would call these Unsubsantiated rumors.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
There is no DTS trailer on Titanic.

It'll be late tonight (at the earliest) before the remainder of the review is posted. High winds caused my boat to break free from its mooring yesterday. Spent several hours searching for, retrieving, and securing it - in the pouring rain. Almost had a mini "Titanic" of my own, I guess. I can't sit down with the DVD again until tonight.

I have had a chance to watch all the "pods" on discs 1 & 2, and I've listened to a couple of hours worth of commentaries. I like what I see and hear.

No damage to the mini-Titanic, thankfully - other than the lost hours.

-Scott

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Glad to have replaced one more non 16x9 disk. I watched late at night, frustrated that I could not crank it up but what I saw looked decent enough. Will attemt again tonight.

Jordan*

Auditioning
hey scott I dont want to be a pain in the butt - but if its possible when you do the review on the deleted scenes is it possible if you can post 2 screenshots of the fight? if so I would be so greatful! thanks

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
So looking forward to on my birthday (October 25th)! Only disappointment is not getting the 4th disc, and no Leo commentary. Still, I'm psyched!:)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
The bass on the DTS track is pretty good...:)

My Buttkicker'd recliners shook and rumbled prodigiously during the "let's stretch her legs" engine/pistons scene early on...

Haven't gotten to the 2nd disk yet...should be good.

As for the picture, I agree that there is slight ringing on a couple of scenes, but barely noticeable (and I have a 80" wide screen). I'd say most of the film there is no EE...I looked closely because the original DVD is renowned for its lack of EE...

Cheers,

Joe

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Whew...
The review has been updated, and is complete. I had to spend so much time on this, I'm falling behind. I've got three more reviews I'd like to get done before next weekend.

-Scott

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
The best book on the production of the film is "Titanic and the Making of James Cameron" by Paula Parisi. She had total access to the production, and documents it from beginning to end, warts and all. It's quite a contrast to the normal "everyone was a joy to work with" making of books.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I'm very disappointed that the documentary has been dropped. I'm not a huge fan of the film (I'm sure that will seem like sacrilege to some of you - sorry!), but I am very interested in the historical event, and in the behind-the-scenes story of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks