What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Titanic - Special Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Dave, the green pixel thing is about a fraction of a second on part of a character's cheek.

And half of what's on Amazon reviews is just crap. That review makes it sound like the movie pixelates and freezes for 30 minutes. People go crazy when there's a minor problem (and yes, the pixel is a problem) but by blowing it out of proportion, you make major problems with DVDs also seem like the same false alarm.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I saw the pixel problem myself last night, but it only lasts for one frame and goes by so fast that unless you are anal retentive - like myself - it would go unnoticed. As long as it doesn't turn into a DVD rot problem, I can live with it.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys! I wasn't trying to be alarmist, just curious.

Wonder if it'll be on the PAL version.

:) d

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
More comments.

I (and I'm not alone) mentioned here or elsewhere that the alternate ending wasn't that good. The reason is pretty simple. The alternate ending works with Brock as a main character and his epiphany as central to the film. But it isn't. The focus was shifted to Rose (and rightly so). Brock's epiphany, nice as it might be, is completely dwarfed by Rose's story, so focusing on it is anathema to what has gone before. Taken out of conext, it's not a bad moment, but considering the focus of the previous three hours, it's trivial. I imagine it was an easy choice for Cameron to make. I have a feeling the "mystery" was an early pull to sell the story, but once the romance started clicking, the mystery became secondary, then tertiary, then irrelevant. It's simply the entrance point to get Rose talking.

I'm through 20 of the deleted scenes (scene without [then with] commentary, a few at a time). The last nine for tomorrow night :)

Take care,
Chuck

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Obviously my screenshot is small, but notice the error stretches to the edge of the frame, but isn't as severe as the area of Jack's cheek- it's as though that section of the image was shifted to the right as a result of the pixellation error.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Even if that was a zit, Leo still wouldn't have problems with the ladies. Lucky bastard!

No offense intended, Dave. I wasn't saying you were an alarmist. That guy on Amazon was though. :)

Chuck, you nailed the reasons why that ending was wisely deleted. Anyone else find it funny that it was referred to as an 'Awesome Alternate Ending'? I'm not talking about the quality of the scene but it just seems like a strange way to refer to a dramatic movie's ending.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Dare I say it...but that does kind of suck for the fans (of both Leo and the movie). Kind of like that split-second picture break-up on the OLD 'Batman' disc...drove me nuts for years. Thankfully no longer, though.

TonyDale

Second Unit
I too took in the alternate ending tonight. As stated above, the TITANIC is now Rose's story, BUT, Brock's quiet epiphany ("three years. . .") isn't as grand a moment as his actually holding the diamond. My gripe with the alternate ending is that it should have been only the three of them, Rose, her grand daughter and Brock; by bringing in the other characters new cans of worms are opened. I liked that Rose's final moments are once again spent with the male element added especially when that male is as much of a scoundrel as Jack Dawson was.
Tomorrow I'll delve into the deleted scenes.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I, for one, LOATHED the alternate ending, from the false suspense of "will she jump?" to her long, trite speech about living for the moment, to Paxton's awful laugh... Just a horrible scene all the way through. I am so, so, so glad they went the way they did, as, even years later, that scene, and the subsequent journey "back to Titanic" still get to me.

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator
I lOVED the alternate ending it was soo funny and unbelivable I can't belive that they really were gonna put that in it just didn't fit the feel of the movie so I am glad that they didn't put it in. I still love watching it by its self just like the comentary says.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Allen, I guess I'd agree with you, in the sense that I might say, I can't believe they were going to use this, isn't that hilarious? But I meant I loathed it in the sense of how it would have ended the movie.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
IGN's review was a great read, I found- IF you want to read a solid take on why the film remains so successful despite how popular it is to bash it...and its mention of how men really enjoy attacking it is something I believe rings very true...you'll get it when you read it:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/660/660963p1.html

P.S. I don't know if this review mention was posted already....oh well. It's worth the read!

Pete-D

Screenwriter
The original ending (now the alternate ending) was a bit too sappy. I thought E.T.'s spaceship would make an appearance for a second.

I found the score for the alternate ending to be a bit too cheesy as well, especailly when Brock starts to laugh.

Cameron is usually at his best with more "sombre" endings (Terminator, T2, Titanic).

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
A big pixel error in the middle of a guys face and everyone blows it off, but put three small dots in the upper right corner of a film for one frame and everyone has a cow??

Why is everyone being so passive on this glaring error???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks