What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Time After Time" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Had it on pre-order for a while. One of my favorite films. I can even remember which girl friend I saw it with and in what theater.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
This film easily charms you the first time you see it. The chemistry between Steenburgen and McDowell is equally as compelling as the conflict between McDowell and Warner. Definitely worth a look when it comes out next month. Thanks, Ron.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
There are a few movies you have reviewed lately that i normally wouldnt pick up since I have never heared of them before. This is one of them. Sounds like a movie i would like. Ill give it a shot :)

capt

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I've got lots of fond memories of my first viewing of TIME AFTER TIME in New York in 1979. Apart from the movie itself: I went to see it after going on a job interview. I eventually got the job and I still have it (it'll be 23 years in October). One funny memory: Reel 2 (first shot: H.G. Wells asking his housekeeper for money) was projected upside-down. It took about 10 minutes to correct it. I've never seen that happen before or since.

--bill

Justin Sallows

Auditioning
I have fainted twice in my life. The first was when I saw Time After Time when I was 9 years old. The opening sequence gives the impression that Jack rips apart the victims vagina, which is historically accurate except that it was cut. This was simply too much for my wee brain to imagine....and it just shut off. I remember looking up from the floor with people looking down at me, and I felt like I was dreaming. I had no idea what had happened. Anyway, my mom just told me to quit jumping around in my chair or something and I ended up watching the rest of the film, but a little uneasy at first, because it took me the duration of the experience to realize that I had just fainted. Aside from that unpleasant memory, I remember being very caught up in the story, and I definately wanted Jack dead. You just might want to think twice before showing this DVD to small children.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Thanks, Ron.

You just made my day. I've been a raving fan of this film since it was first released in the theaters. I've read all but one or two of H.G. Wells' fantasy novels and most of his mainstream work. I can now retire my laserdisc, which I think I've probably watched more times than any other disc in my collection, especially since DVDs have been around. A great transfer with commentary track, I really don't care about anything else.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Being 16, this isn't the movie I would normally like, but I got interested into seeing this film because the film had a great legion of fans. Last month, I caught this movie on Encore's Love Stories channel and I thought it was one of the most entertaining films I had seen in a long time. The movie kept me interested from the first frame to the last and the more I heard Miklos Rosza's score everytime I caught it on television, the more the movie spellbounded me.

As for the DVD, thanks to Ron, I am interested in buying this movie now after hearing how good the transfer is, but I have been short on cash for most of the summer, so if worse comes to worse, I might have to pick up this movie the first week I go back to school and buy it with whatever lunch money I have left.

But, if I have the money the day it comes out, I will snatch it up right away. I am still looking foreward to this release, no matter what.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I've loved this film for a long time. I'm really thrilled that the film elements survived the years in such good shape. I can hardly wait to see this DVD. I can retire my LD now! Great review!
Never even heard of this title until today
You don't what you have missed!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Oh, I am so getting this! I have loved this "little film that could" ever since my mother took me & my brother to see it on a double bill with The Black Hole in jan.1980 at a dollar show (they still had those back then).

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Ron-

Thanks for the review. I've seen this movie countless times since seeing it on the big screen back on the day it opened in 1979. Back then, I was under the mistaken impression that it was an adaptation of the Jack Finney novel 'Time and Again'. (How I wish that book would finally make it to the screen.)

Time After Time has a satisfying internal logic, which is so often the downside of time travel stories. I'm looking forwarding to the commentary with Meyer and McDowell.

Lone Wolf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny B
Wow! How could I forget Miklos Rozsa's great score, as others have mentioned. Very exhilirating and memorable.

Johnny B.

Irv H

Auditioning
Ron, I totally agree with your comments about how great this film is (especially after I just watched the new TIME MACHINE last night!
I do have a gripe with a comment from Meyer's commentary track. At the start he says the original logo (Combined Orion & Warner) was so ugly that after the studio preview, they deleted it and started the film with the Warner shield.
He must not be up on the logos on his films! That ugly logo was on all 35mm prints as well as the previous video versions (including laserdisc).
Only now with the DVD release was that logo deleted so that the film itself starts with the great Max Steiner score & the classic WB logo :)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've listened to the commentary track. I think what Meyer is saying is that the studio brass didn't like the idea of using the old Warner Bros shield and Max Steiner's music at all. Fortunately Meyer won through and the shield and music start the film proper.

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I had one helluva time finding this one in stock today. The local DVD specialty store was out of stock...the clerk told me they sold all twenty copies in less then 24 hours...Best Buy, Circuit City, HMV, Tower, Fyes, Borders...Nada! My determination paid off though as I found one lone copy buried behind inventory at Sam Goodys. By that time I had steam coming off my aching feet!... Either not much supply from Warner Brothers or not much demand from local retailers. In any case,I learned a lesson from my time consuming quest to find this title: Stay tuned to sites like HTF and pre-order online.

This is one of my favorite movies of the 70s. Thanks for the informative review Ron.

Steve Spin

Grip
Real Name
Steven Spinelli
You review is "bang-on" as always.
I would have picked it up anyway...it's a great flim.
Keep up the good work!:)
Steve
Check out my collection...I do have to update it!
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks