What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Wizard Of Oz - Three-Disc Collector's Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The color screencaps that Herb posted from the older disc have far more natural skin tones than the caps from this new set. It's not even close. That said, I don't trust screencaps any farther than I can throw 'em! :) It also doesn't mean that the newer image isn't closer to the original intended look of the film.

I do, however, trust Mr. Harris' opinion of the accuracy of transfers that he examines. Sounds like this new disc looks just fine.

Neither dvdbeaver nor most of our posters here seem to realize the fact that I'm not comparing the new screenshots to the previous disc. I'm comparing both the new one and the previous one — both inferior, IMæ — to the original DVD from 1997, shortly after the format made its debut, and to The Ultimate Oz laserdisc, which apparently was the same transfer as that original DVD. A comparison of these would reveal the far warmer and more saturated color as compared with the last two go-rounds.

As for "right" or "wrong," if you like your Technicolor pastel and faded, then I can see why you might prefer the last two transfers. Otherwise, I'd clearly have to prefer the old transfers, three-strip negatives or not.

And yes, the misregistration is cured in the new transfer, but it doesn't occur in the same places in those old transfers anyway, so I can't compare on that basis off the top of my head. I do seem to remember that the scene with the apple was noticeably misregistered.

MK

Definitely. But that seems to be an "unknown," meaning we can only guess at which is more true to the original intention of the filmmakers. I go with the Ultimate Oz LD and the 1997 MGM DVD, not either of the Warner releases.

I'd sure love to see screencaps of THOSE compared!

MK

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Reference prints on many three strip productions are available for examination, inclusive of those used as reference by Technicolor themselves.

I assure you WB does not work in a vacuum.

Yes, Mr. Harris. But did George Feltenstein work in a vacuum when he was preparing the Ultimate Oz transfer?

Why are the hot pink outfits of the chorus girls at the party in Singin' In The Rain a pale pink on the most recent transfer? This too has faded color when compared to the original DVD.

Has anyone made this comparison of the old product with the new, or are we simply trusting the quality of this work as a matter of principle?

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
IF the screen captures are at least an indication I'll gladly get the new version - partly because all I have at the moment is a standard release from MGM on laserdisc from around 1990 and secondly - the yellow brick road looks great on the latest version, so who cares about the rest of the film, I'm sold!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

True. But unfortunately I sold off my original MGM DVD when I heard the Warner one was arriving. Oh well. You live, you learn.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

Here are caps from the laserdisc:

(shutterfly crops them a bit....sorry.)

Note even here there is a difference between the dress in Munchinland vs. the cornfield, as with the two WB releases.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Long live laserdisc as it was the only real home viewing device we had...but give me the dvds...both bad and good over the smeared & milky laserdisc. I still have some LDs that I will always have but they seldom get any time now.

I'm still buying the set because I love this film. I'll do my own comparisons. As I said earlier, those in the know seem to feel this new one is the most accurate. I'll wait and get the sucker home before I make up my mind. Besides if I can buy a zillion different copies or releases of Stargate then I'm really ok with buying another Wizard of Oz...even if it's not perfect. :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Going back to the earliest DVD and laserdiscs, the source was an interpositive created from the three-strips.

RAH

I actually think the laserdisc looks damned good. Naturally, it's not going to be quite as sharp as any of the DVD's because of the format's lower resolution.

MK

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
But the colors don't look unequivocally "better" (or even more consistent). They certainly don't match the theatrical print I saw.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Question: Has the final audio for the 'Jitterbug' deleted scene been correctly matched up with the stills/home movie compilation once again? The previous release substituted a scratch audio track for some unknown reason.

DeeF

Screenwriter
There's only one of the comparison transfers which Herb posted, that bothers me a little bit. It's the one of the Tin Man, who really looks bronze all of the sudden. His "tin" has a "gold" sheen to it. His tone has changed so much from the other DVD that one wonders whether there can ever be a "correct" version of the movie.

I'm not saying this one isn't correct -- I'm saying that there may be a problem in determing "correct" color.

It certainly is true that this movie, Ben-Hur, and Gone with the Wind from last year, are all more golden, highlighting the yellows over the grays.

In GWTW, the gray walls of Twelve Oaks all became a tan color. Far be it from me to say which is correct -- it's just something I noted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks