What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Wizard Of Oz - Three-Disc Collector's Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Reading all the comments almost makes me think someone went and lifted the Ben Hur thread and put it here. Once again people sweating out something most of us dont even have yet. As far as the screen grabs...they both look good. Which one is right? I dont know. But i do know a lot of time and money was spent so WE can have a great presentation. I know we are different, but really, what does it take to make everyone happy? Maybe the original negative brought forward in time? Cant wait to own this.:D

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor

No need to do that. I will happily watch it in 1.33:1. For some reason, I thought they cropped it for the multiplexes.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
It looks like from the DVD Beaver set that the tremendous Audio Vaults have been dropped from this release. This is quite disturbing to me, as it was one of my favorite things from the release, and I was really hoping for a cleaner interface to selecting the various tracks. This is a HUGE downer for me, and I would have rather they dropped one or more of the documentaries that are on TCM a couple times a year. Now I have to keep both DVDs plus the LD to keep the original commentary track.:frowning:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I think we all need to dedicate an entire shelf in our HT to all the Wizard of Oz releases since the Ultimate OZ LD box set in order to compile the perfect list of comprehensive extras that we deserve...

:D

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
EDITED POST:
This was my post bemoaning the fact that
the Recording sessions were not listed in the
review as being part of the disc.
A later post corrected my fearful assumption.
Never mind
:D

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I cant tell you how many times i have had to keep an older release of something just cause i couldn't part with the extras. I am going to hang onto my Criterion King Kong LD just for the great commentary on it even though i know the new release will be superior to the LD in every other way. So dont fret holding on to all things Oz all well, you have company my friends.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

And I never suggested that it should, I only reported what I personally thought upon looking at the side by side comparisons.
You're lecturing to the converted David.....and doing so in a slightly patronizing tone I might add, "folks like you" and all of that.
If not Patronizing then certainly presumptuous, as a rule I do not prefer cold over warm, it is a case by case decision, take MGM's transfer of Silence Of The Lambs in many ways it is a better transfer than the Criterion transfer but it dumped the warm tone of the Criterion disc in favor of a very cool tone which I do not prefer.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Great review Herb, but when I first glanced at your scans I thought the top shots were from the new dvd, to my eyes the color looks far better than the orangey tones in the bottom shots, particularly in the shot of Dorothy's face.

So, based solely on your scans I prefer the previous transfer. But I'm still looking forward to checking this ultra-classic fantasy out for myself on my equipment and settings. :emoji_thumbsup:

DeeF

Screenwriter

Everybody can relax about this. Herb has made a mistake about the audio vault.

Here's what's on Disk 2 --

Audio Vault

Jukebox of Over 4 1/2 hours of Unedited Musical Numbers. Various "looping" tracks and underscore recordings • Leo Is on the Air Radio Promo Good News of 1939 Radio Show • Lux Radio Theater 12/25/50

M

Member 323668

dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/wizard.htm

Now just look at the framing! What the .... made them crop the frame on all four sides, especially on the left? Most disappointing!

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

I understand. That's why I've been transferring all of my lasers to dvd-r, just in case the ol' machine gives out on me.

I transferred the Fricke commentary from the OZ set last week. Wouldn't want to lose that. Plus I made mp3s of all the audio material. It took several weeks, but now they are easy to access. I created a single file for each take, rather than grouping them as the laser did. The end result -- 270 individual files.

Darrell S.

Stunt Coordinator
From viewing the screen shots on this and other websites, I would say keep your previous DVD for the video transfer. The new one looks brown and muddy with an overabundance of grain. It is also cropped on all four sides. Buy the new one if you want all the extra features. Also, David Boulet, your comments are extremely insightful as always and very much appreciated. You have a great way of making a sophisticated concept very comprehendable.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

I ran the film 3 times as a projectionist. Twice I ran prints created in 1989 for the film's 50th Anniversary. They were all Academy Ratio prints, true 1.33 taking up the whole frame. Much later I ran a print that had been engineered to display 1.33 in a theater that would have no 1.33 plates or lenses (I can't remember if it was 1.33 inside of 1.85 or 1.33 inside of a scope print).

I've never come across a Wizard of Oz film print meant for widescreen projection, though undoubtedly some were made in the 50s, when "widescreen" versions (abominations I should say) of Gone With the Wind and Fantasia were common.

-Lyle J.P.

Darrell S.

Stunt Coordinator
If you get any aspect ratio other than 1:33 you are losing a great deal of information on top and bottom. It's true that the film was released in semi-widescreen in the mid-50s, but obviously it had to be fabricated by cropping.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

Dialnorm does not affect dynamic range. Think of it as a virtual volume knob in the encoding process. This should not be confused with Dynamic Range Control. An example of a title with a large Dialnorm level shift is Star Wars Ep 1 (an incredibly dynamic soundtrack).

And now, I'm off to see the Wizard...

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

I'm pretty sure it was cropped when it was re-released as an MGM Matinee Classic in the early seventies. I have vivid memories of seeing it on the big screen, and there were no borders on the side of the screen. Of course, it is possible that the projectionist just matted it himself.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Hey Kevin,

my ramblings about color were directed to the broader discussion in the thread...not towards any one poster.

I said "Folks" (general)...not "Folks like you" (particular).

The only reason I pointed out that I had mentioned that it was "ok" to prefer whichever version one preferred (as long as we in our discussion what we think looks pleasing and how we expect WB to direct their restoration aren't necessarily the same thing) was because I had posted this already--before you responded in a way that seemed to interpret my comments as suggesting that someone would be bad for liking/preferring the look of the cooler color temp. I just wanted to make clear that I wasn't passing judgement on what looked good to anyone's eyes...only trying to comment on the rules by which we should judge our DVD presentations. Very often these two things are not the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks