What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Warner Brothers Film Noir Collection Volume #1 (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Great reviews, Herb. Makes me feel even better that I have the set (and the upcoming Universal noirs) on pre-order.

Hopefully, this will sell well enough that a second volume will get the nod from Warner. If so, we can pray that it will include a sub-set from the following:

THE WINDOW (1949, RKO)
BORDER INCIDENT (1949, MGM)
TENSION (1949, MGM)
ACT OF VIOLENCE (1949, MGM)
SIDE STREET (1949, MGM)
CRIME WAVE (1954, WB)
THE MAN I LOVE (1946, WB)
ON DANGEROUS GROUND (1952, RKO)
OUT OF THE FOG (1941, WB)
THREE STRANGERS (1946, WB)
DEEP VALLEY (1947, WB)
THEY LIVE BY NIGHT (1949, RKO)
WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (1956, RKO)
THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME (1947, RKO)
STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR (1940, RKO)
BETRAYED (1944 a.k.a. "WHEN STRANGERS MARRY", Monogram)
BORN TO KILL (1947, RKO)
THE DEVIL THUMBS A RIDE (1947, RKO)
THE THREAT (1949, RKO)
THE PHENIX CITY STORY (1955, Allied Artists)

--or how about "THE RICHARD FLEISCHER FILM NOIR COLLECTION", featuring these six RKO gems, with audio commentary by the director (could easily fit into a 3 or 4-disc set):

BODYGUARD (1948)
THE CLAY PIGEON (1949)
FOLLOW ME QUIETLY (1949)
ARMORED CAR ROBBERY (1950)
HIS KIND OF WOMAN (1951, uncredited direction of the film's climax)
THE NARROW MARGIN (1952)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Great reviews, Herb. Makes me feel even better that I have the set (and the upcoming Universal noirs) on pre-order.

Hopefully, this will sell well enough that a second volume will get the nod from Warner. If so, we can pray that it will include a sub-set from the following:

THE WINDOW (1949, RKO)
BORDER INCIDENT (1949, MGM)
TENSION (1949, MGM)
ACT OF VIOLENCE (1949, MGM)
SIDE STREET (1949, MGM)
CRIME WAVE (1954, WB)
THE MAN I LOVE (1946, WB)
ON DANGEROUS GROUND (1952, RKO)
OUT OF THE FOG (1941, WB)
THREE STRANGERS (1946, WB)
DEEP VALLEY (1947, WB)
THEY LIVE BY NIGHT (1949, RKO)
WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (1956, RKO)
THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME (1947, RKO)
STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR (1940, RKO)
BETRAYED (1944 a.k.a. "WHEN STRANGERS MARRY", Monogram)
BORN TO KILL (1947, RKO)
THE DEVIL THUMBS A RIDE (1947, RKO)
THE THREAT (1949, RKO)
THE PHENIX CITY STORY (1955, Allied Artists)

--or how about "THE RICHARD FLEISCHER FILM NOIR COLLECTION", featuring these six RKO gems, with audio commentary by the director (could easily fit into a 3 or 4-disc set):

BODYGUARD (1948)
THE CLAY PIGEON (1949)
FOLLOW ME QUIETLY (1949)
ARMORED CAR ROBBERY (1950)
HIS KIND OF WOMAN (1951, uncredited direction of the film's climax)
THE NARROW MARGIN (1952)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
IMHO, the best Marlowe was Robert Mitchum in "Farewell My Lovely". He was a bit old at the time (1974), but it worked well for that adaptation. Conversely, perhaps the worst Marlowe was Mitchum playing a London rather than LA-based Marlowe in Michale Winner's "The Big Sleep". Go figure.

Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
IMHO, the best Marlowe was Robert Mitchum in "Farewell My Lovely". He was a bit old at the time (1974), but it worked well for that adaptation. Conversely, perhaps the worst Marlowe was Mitchum playing a London rather than LA-based Marlowe in Michale Winner's "The Big Sleep". Go figure.

Regards,

ScottFH

Stunt Coordinator
Ken,

I'm with you!

Mitchum is my favorite Marlowe.

In that film he has the tired cynicism that an aging Marlowe would have... too bad he didn't also get to play Marlowe earlier in his (Mitchum's) career.

Question to all:

what is the OAR of "Farewell, My Lovely"?

I have the out-of-print DVD, which is in Academy format.

But what was the OAR of the original theatrical release?

ScottFH

Stunt Coordinator
Ken,

I'm with you!

Mitchum is my favorite Marlowe.

In that film he has the tired cynicism that an aging Marlowe would have... too bad he didn't also get to play Marlowe earlier in his (Mitchum's) career.

Question to all:

what is the OAR of "Farewell, My Lovely"?

I have the out-of-print DVD, which is in Academy format.

But what was the OAR of the original theatrical release?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
:laugh:Yeah, I know. It was a rhetorical "Go Figure".

I believe Dick Richards' "Farewell, My Lovely" was shot spherically and matted to 1.85:1, but I have never seen it in this aspect ratio, so I could be wrong.

Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
:laugh:Yeah, I know. It was a rhetorical "Go Figure".

I believe Dick Richards' "Farewell, My Lovely" was shot spherically and matted to 1.85:1, but I have never seen it in this aspect ratio, so I could be wrong.

Regards,

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
Warner's not getting a cent from me or my family until they announce "The RKO Tarzan collection"

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
Warner's not getting a cent from me or my family until they announce "The RKO Tarzan collection"

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Too bad those Deep Discount coupons aren't good for another week. This thing's like $37 over there. Individual titles are around $14 a piece.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Oh, great review, Herb! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

I was just checking my DVD Pacific account and I noticed that they are about to ship this set! That's quite early, I thought. So I did a HTF search and up popped your review! Nice!

I am so stoked. This, along with the Scorsese set are my DVD purchases of the year, no question. All the films in the set are firm favourites of my and I haven't seen The Set-Up or Gun Crazy for years. The commentaries should be interesting, especially Glenn Erickson's!

Happy days!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine is a DVD reviewer for a major publication. I saw this boxed set at his home last evening, and we watched GUN CRAZY. I wish I could have stayed and watched all five of the films.

I had never seen GUN CRAZY before, and it is an un-heralded masterpiece! What an amazing movie. The transfer is stunning, especially for an independent film made on a small budget that shifted ownership several times over the past few years.

The packaging on the boxed set is gorgeous, and all the inner keepcases (At last, Warner, thank you!) are equally impressive.

I have mine set on order, and am counting the days until it arrives. After years of neglect, Film Noir is finally getting some respect on DVD, and as usual Warner is leading the pack by giving us an outstanding package and a great price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks