What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The War of the Worlds (1953) - Special Collector's Edition (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Damin,

I haven't claimed that these special effects techniques were invisible in the historic prints...only that they perhaps were not as highly visible as they are on this particular DVD edition.

That's what I've been saying all along. Are we agreeing or disagreeing?

:confused:

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

With all due respect, that is not what you've been saying all along. You've said, for example, boldly and with no qualifications or claim of hypothesis, that "[t]he DVD deviates from the original look of the projected film already," as if this is established fact and accepted gospel. Likewise, you've described your position as promoting "replicating how [the wires] would have appeared in an original projected film print in accordance with the director's intentions (ie, less visible than on this DVD)."

Given the opinions on the subject from Joe Dante and Bill Warren, I think it is not as clear cut a situation as you have repeatedly put it in this thread.

DJ

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
All I have left to say is: I hope everyone who enjoys science fiction films is buying this disc, there's really no reason not to, and plenty of reasons to get it. Not the least is to encourage studios to do more releases as well as this.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Yes, in another thread, Mr. Furmanek states that the wires were not visible at all in the original dye transfer prints. As for Mr. Apruzzese, while he notes that the wires were "very difficult to make out" in those original dye transfer prints, unless I am reading him wrongly, he has yet to offer an opinion on how well that difficulty is represented in the new DVD.

So, perhaps you or someone else can help me out to keep a tally of those offering a direct opinion on how well the new DVD represents the look of the original dye transfer prints. Mr. Furmanek would presumably find the new DVD to be inaccurate, as the wires were not visible at all to him originally. Bill Warren and Joe Dante (as reported via Bill Warren on Mobius) opine that the new DVD correctly represents the original dye transfer print's level of visibility with regard to the wires.

Am I missing anyone else who offers an opinion from specific personal experience? I've tried looking through this thread, but I haven't examined every post sufficiently.

If there are no other personal opinions offered from direct experience, then it seems that on the above basis alone, the repeated statements (by those other than the above-noted persons) that the wires were originally not visible at all or were visible to a significantly lesser degree originally is not sufficiently called for. The requests (demands?) that the wires be digitally removed thus also seems to be that much more uncalled for.

DJ

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

where you make the claim that this visibility issue is coming from "no particular source", as if people were just pulling it out of a hat, is not true. As was mentioned above, several well respected members of the forum have commented on the wires as seen in the original prints of the film. I merely used Mr. Harris' post because it was the first one I came across. Now, whether or not any of these observations or recollections can be taken as the final word on the matter is another issue.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Damin,

Doesn't that answer your question??? Again...what are we arguing about? What was stated above by folks more in-the-know than you or I is that the original prints looked different than later prints (and this DVD) and that the color balance (ie, contrast fits in here too) has made the special effects issues more pronounced in more modern incarnations of the film.

Clearly is it confusing as there have also been a few (though it does seem fewer) accounts to the contrary. However, I have a hard time imagining that the high-visibility of the wires we see on this DVD was what the director was aiming for...especially given that there ARE prints and DVD transfers (that's fact) that obscure them much more effectively making them less of a distraction. As to what is the "right" presentation? I suppose that's why we're having this conversation!

:)

FrancisP

Screenwriter
If the original filmmakers had seen the wires, I can't imagine them not trying to get rid of them if there was any way to do it. I certainly think that if digital technology was available to them they would use it. How does removing the wires change the vision that they wanted?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Don't ya think the 'wires' discussion has become tiresome? We've got two different points of view and never the twain shall meet.

Anybody got anything else to say about this DVD? Please.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This thread is amazing and sad at the same time. The condescending tone of some posts just seem unnecessary.

Too bad. :frowning:

Btw, the DVD looks and sounds beautiful.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Got stuck home today with a clogged sewer drain so I'm gonna watch the doumentary and bonus features and post back a wires-free conversation!

ZackR

Supporting Actor

Yes, but can we see that thread or not? And if so, were we intended to see the thread. :)

Sorry.

I am planning on watching the doc tonight so I will post back with my thoughts on it as well.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm happy to move away from the vitriol of the "wires" discussion...

The colors are beautiful in this transfer but this being a three strip format (as is clearly pointed out in the doc & the commentaries) I can't help but wonder what it would look like using the WB Ultra-Resolution process...indeed I am wondering if they intend to licence this process to other studios or if it is indeed exclusive to WB, who actually developed this process? (the process doesn't seem to be one that is difficult to understand or replicate, scan the three strips separately into a computer for processing - clean up - etcetera, but WB does seem to be the only studio doing it.)

The surround track is fantastic, this is the same one made for the 90's LD, right? Dante seems to suggest on the commentary that this is somehow an original stereo track from the day but that doesn't seem to be the case. Assuming that it is the 90's remix then Chase did a great job with it, the bass is surprisingly deep & the L-C-R-S panning is not as hokey as some mono to stereo remixes can sound, very well done IMO. The music seems to be in stereo so another question I have is were the original music recordings recorded in stereo, if not than where did these recordings come from?

And for you MST3K haters out there the "fan" commentary will delight you as Bill Warren makes his feelings for the show & it's lampooning of certain "classic" films quite clear. ....thin skinned whiners ;)

For $9.99, and far less, this DVD is hard to beat, good job from The Mount.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I said this earlier but IMO this is *one of the greatest DVD releases ever. For less than $10 we get a good movie with great V/A plus two commentary tracks, a documentary, a trailer plus the original radio broadcast, which itself is worth more than the retail price of this disc.

Warner is head and shoulders above every other studio but this release from Paramount really is "Warner quality" all the way through IMO.

*And I'm calling this one of the greatest releases even though I'm not that big of a fan. I can't imagine any fan being unhappy here.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Hey, maybe we could start another thread and call it "War Of The Wires". Better yet, was anyone "wired" when they watched the movie? Had to get something in there on a lighter note. I enjoyed it overall and thought the shots of '50's LA were great. And Gene Barry looked pretty good for his age as well. It's too bad he wasn't allowed more time on the feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks