What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The War of the Worlds (1953) - Special Collector's Edition (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
GregK, Thanks for that comparison. For the record, what laserdisc player did you use and if you use a scaler/video processor, what kind? Thanks again

/Mattias

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Are you sure that's not the old release? My local Target has the new '53 Special Collector's Edition priced at $12.99.

Brad M

Second Unit

I can answer that, it is for sure, 100% without a doubt, the Special Collector's Edition. I saw the ad and thought they left off a 1 from the front. It is $4.99.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have seen re-release titles (very good ones!!) end up in the Wal-Mart bargain bins a week or two after release before...so I don't disbelieve you. What a bargain find this would be.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Looking back thru this thread I'm surprised there's been a lot of praise for the picture quality of this new edition when it's really obvious that an older transfer was used. Sadly though, it's probably the best it's ever looked on video, even with incorrect gamma and a mushy DNR look. :frowning:

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Twice again...
Where does this stereo track come from???
Its not the original (lost forever) & its not the LD (differant mix).
Anyone?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
If you listen to the commentary Joe Dante mentions something about them finding and restoring the original stereo tracks to this release, well he seemed very impressed with it.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
On the commentary track it is mentioned 'its great to have the stereo back' (or something it that effect). Your sure Steve, that the original ST was discovered?
What ever it is, its better than I had hoped for when it was said this new release would be w/o the Chase.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

I would hope it would be but I think it's more likley that it's derived from the previous transfer or a non-HD source.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

And you're basing this on...?

Though there is no direct confirmation on the DVD, multiple mentions of the 2003 restoration are made in the commentary and extras for the disc. It would seem unlikely that so much would be made of it without utilizing the new print for the transfer.

Then there's the obvious physical evidence - scratches present in the old DVD that are gone in the new, different grain characteristics and color timing....

-Scott

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
I'm basing it on how soft and muddy the new dvd is. It just looks like an old transfer that was meticulously cleaned, not a new transfer of an old film. Did any of the prints of WotW have that kind of painted DNR look to them?

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I agree, WOTW has never looked so bright and clear hence the wire debate.:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks