What's new

HTF REVIEW: The Tom Green Show - Inside and Outside the Box (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw

TOM GREEN: INSIDE AND OUTSIDE THE BOX
The Complete Series

Distributor: Video Services Corp.
Year: 1997 & 1998

Rating: NOT RATED

Length: 600 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Aspect Ratio:[*] 1.33:1
Colour/B&W: Colour

Audio:[*] English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: none
Closed Captioned: Yes
SLP: $39.98

Release Date: December 06, 2005.

Entertainment Rating: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Tom Green, Glenn Humplik, and many unsuspecting guests.

Written by: Tom Green

Tom Green, that crazy and almost psychotic comedian, has found a way to bring his young days as a comedian into our homes. With his new distribution company and with the help of Video Services Corp., you are now able to see all of Tom’s original television shows of The Tom Green Show that appeared on Canada’s Comedy Network.

Think before his show on MTV; on a budget of almost nothing and using local facilities in Ottawa, Ontario, Tom Green and his buddies set out after broadcasting school to do a “reality TV” program before reality TV became a hit. The show is a combination of David Letterman-style interviews Tom Green style. He preys upon unsuspecting victims who sit in the interview chair thinking it’s going to be a normal show. Ha! Where they ever wrong! These people are appalled, shocked, and held in disbelief of Tom’s method of interview madness. Look for interviews with a CPR trainer, a dominatrix, an unsuspecting chef about to get his fish beaten, as well as my favourite: Ed the Sock.

The show is also a bit of candid camera too. They set out across Canada to do crazy things in public much like the Just for Laughs Gags aired on CBC today. Some of this stuff is hilarious and other time you really wonder how many times he’s been hit on the head with a bat. Look at Tom make fun of teachers during the Ontario Teachers Strike (who just love to blame Mike Harris for all of their troubles), Scuba Hood (where he scuba dives in fountains at the malls to pick up the pennies) as well as how to play Celery Majors and eat them off of the road. Yum. You can also watch him hump a dead moose…yup…when travelling along the B.C. highways he just couldn’t afford the opportunity to do that! Gotta love that Canadian Film or Video Production Tax Credit for bringing us Canadian citizens quality programs. As always, the Americans love it and snatch Canadian talent (because we have no real supportive entertainment industry) and The Tom Green Show became a hit on MTV and pulled Green into the film industry.

So if you want to see the uncensored and no-limits of Canadian television programming (obviously censored material for American markets – think the themes in South Park the movie), the MTV shows pale in comparison to these over-the-top episodes recorded in 1997 and 1998. These were supervised by Tom Green himself and even he is surprised on “how well it’s held up.”

VIDEO QUALITY
:star: :star: 1/2 / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

These episodes are shot on video and are 1.33:1. Viewing the image with no overscan reveals typical non-safe area problems with video, mainly blank area and it won’t be noticeable on TVs with overscan (virtually all) so don’t worry about it. The quality varies; the in-studio material looks warm with slightly red-pink flesh tones. The outdoor “reality” moments vary in quality as well. Even though they seem to use more professional-grade cameras, the video looks like something off of a consumer camcorder. Everything is clear and there are no problems in the way of compression artefacts.

AUDIO QUALITY :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

The Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo soundtrack is typical stereo production. Live camera material is mostly mono as well as in-studio material. The only thing that makes stereo is the music as well as some the cheers from the crowd.

SPECIAL FEATURES :star: 1/2 / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

This set features an hour of outtakes that are good, but just not good enough to be on the 25 minute show. You can view these outtakes here as a long compilation. Tom Green also provides a commentary on episode 14, the first episode of the second season. He talks (and actually talks normal!) about how him and the boys did the stuff they did and why. It’s a must for any Tom Green fan.

IN THE END…

The Tom Green Show is both hilarious and ludicrous. If extreme comedy is your thing, look no further than Tom Green, the creator of this genre. It’s amazing to see what some people do make others laugh. Tom Green simply took it to the edge.

Michael Osadciw

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to pick this up, but I just want to confirmk that everything is indeed complete and uncut with this set?

Also, out of the previous released compilation and video clip montage releases, does anyone know how much and what material is rehashed or worth picking up in addition to this set?

Thanks a lot!!!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I guess the MTV "Subway Monkey Hour" special in Jpan is an obvious addition.

"Early Exposure: Raw Meat And Rare Treats" is likely rendered obsolete by this latest set.

"Endangered Feces: The Very Worst Of Tom Green" also seems to be culled mainly from his Canadian Comedy Network days, so I guess that's also obsolete.

Does anybody know about "Tonsil Hockey" or the "Something Smells Funny" DVD's?

Also, I assume that MTV's "The Tom Green Show Uncensored" is also a worthwhile addition of skits from his MTV days...

I wish MTV would compile a proper box set of his latter material, uncut, on DVD. I'd pay anything for that!

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Hi Marco

Given the material that was presented on here seemingly without any deletions in visuals and language, I'm taking word for it that it is uncut. Considering this is released by Tom Green himself and under his new distribution company. Like you said, this set would make all other DVDs obsolete.

Mike

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've been picking through these, about half way through disc 2. It is largley what I remember from the original showings. I pressume it's uncut, although some material is still blured, like "the Slut Mobile", as originally aired.

I would hold onto "Endangered Feces: The Very Worst Of Tom Green" as the Mike Buliard footage doesn't appear to be on this new set.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I forgot to add, they dno't appear to be in the right order. Toms hair goes from shaved to long to shaved again at random. I think when Comedy Network aired these, Toms hair wasn't shaved until he did played the hair game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks